User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions

jwazevedo

User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions
I have a computer running Windows Vista Business that is the principal
machine on a network of five computers. It is set up with three users. One is
an administrator and the other two are standard users. All users need to be
able to run a program called "ath.exe". I have set up full control
permissions for all users for this program. However, when the standard users
try to open it, there is a User Account Controls error message that "an
unidentified program wants to access your computer". An administrator
password is required. Obviously, this situation in untenable. What is the
secret to making this program available to all users while maintaining the
other security features of User Account Controls? Thanks.
Jerry
H Brown

Re: User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions

"jwazevedo" <jwazevedo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a computer running Windows Vista Business that is the principal
> machine on a network of five computers. It is set up with three users. One
> is
> an administrator and the other two are standard users. All users need to
> be
> able to run a program called "ath.exe". I have set up full control
> permissions for all users for this program. However, when the standard
> users
> try to open it, there is a User Account Controls error message that "an
> unidentified program wants to access your computer". An administrator
> password is required. Obviously, this situation in untenable. What is the
> secret to making this program available to all users while maintaining the
> other security features of User Account Controls? Thanks.
> Jerry

There are many things you can do just to run the program *but* based on your
question it will help you get the _right_ solution from the right people
with just a little more information from you.
Is it: Vista Business Sp1 *or not*? _32 bit_ or _64 bit_?
What is the name of the program/application and its version number that all
_users_ need to be able to run?
In the mean time pay a visit to the web site of the distributor of the
program in question and find out if they offer a Vista compatible version.
That would be a version that’s designed to run in the user environment.

When I Google "ath.exe" I see your post to Hewlett-Packard Service forum
and others, but to many possibility to guess at what ath.exe is.

JWAzevedo

Re: User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions
This is Vista Business SP1, 32-bit version.

"Ath.exe" is a library automation program called Athena. The software
developer sold out to another company, and the program is no longer
supported. We are a small community library, and for a long list of reasons
we are unable to switch to a new program. This one works just fine. I just
need to be able to set it up to open normally by a standard
(non-administrator) user.

Thanks.

> This is Vista Business SP1, 32-bit version.
>
> "Ath.exe" is a library automation program called Athena. The software
> developer sold out to another company, and the program is no longer
> supported. We are a small community library, and for a long list of
> reasons
> we are unable to switch to a new program. This one works just fine. I
> just
> need to be able to set it up to open normally by a standard
> (non-administrator) user.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Jerry
Your wise in wanting to maintain the security that User Account Control
(UAC) provides.

*Good news*, Sagebrush Corporation the developer of Athena is now the
Follett Software Company.
*"Follett Software Company continues to support current customers of the
Athena library automation system"*

"Follett Software Company is a division of Follett Corporation, a respected
name in education, known initially for building our nation’s school
libraries beginning in 1874."
The Follett Software Company has been in business for over 30 years.
In my opinion (IMO) you can conceder Follett Software Company as a viable
and trustworthy company.

Until you/we find out what a Follett Software Company support tech has to
say about your issue there is no need to be trying any of the other possible
solutions.

"Frequently, the software vendor will be able to resolve the incompatibility
issue by providing one of the following resolutions:"
*"Information about any configuration changes to make the program compatible
with Windows Vista"*
"An update to make the current version of the program compatible with
Windows Vista."
"A version of the program that is compatible with Windows Vista."

Locate as much of the old documentation your library got from Sagebrush and
their Athena software.
Note the current version number of Athena software you are running.
Your old Sagebrush Customer Number, provided you still have it.
Even if some of the above info is missing you should know the name of the
library as it would have appeared at the time the library first began using
Athena.

Sitting in front of the computer in question call the below phone number.
Call toll free in the U.S. and Canada, Monday - Friday, 7 AM --6 PM Central
time.
Technical Support Athena-- 800.661.4109

Note: When I called the above tech support line there was no holding, pushed
the 3 key and a live human tech answered speaking fluently in his native
tongue, which happened to be English.
I think you will be pleasantly pleased by taking the above advise.

Follett Software Company URL below for more.
http://www.follettsoftware.com/

Get back to this Newsgroup and let all know how it went.

H Brown

IMO your number one (1) best solution to help and mostly to resolve your
issue.
Good news for you Jerry
Your wise in wanting to maintain the security that User Account Control
(UAC) provides.
Frequently, the software vendor will be able to resolve the incompatibility
issue by providing one of the following resolutions:
An update to make the current version of the program compatible with Windows
Vista
A version of the program that is compatible with Windows Vista
Information about any configuration changes to make the program compatible
with Windows Vista

H Brown

Re: User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions

"jwazevedo" <jwazevedo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a computer running Windows Vista Business that is the principal
> machine on a network of five computers. It is set up with three users. One
> is
> an administrator and the other two are standard users. All users need to
> be
> able to run a program called "ath.exe". I have set up full control
> permissions for all users for this program. However, when the standard
> users
> try to open it, there is a User Account Controls error message that "an
> unidentified program wants to access your computer". An administrator
> password is required. Obviously, this situation in untenable. What is the
> secret to making this program available to all users while maintaining the
> other security features of User Account Controls? Thanks.
> Jerry

TEST ONLY for WLM newsreader receive, lost tread TEST ONLY no reply
necessary this group only sys at 10:42 cst

> [...]

library as it would have appeared at the time the library first began using
Athena.

Sitting in front of the computer in question call the below phone number.
Call toll free in the U.S. and Canada, Monday - Friday, 7 AM --6 PM Central
time.
Technical Support Athena-- 800.661.4109

Note: When I called the above tech support line there was no holding, pushed
the 3 key and a live human tech answered speaking fluently in his native
tongue, which happened to be English.
I think you will be pleasantly pleased by taking the above advise.

Follett Software Company URL below for more.
http://www.follettsoftware.com/

Get back to this Newsgroup and let all know how it went.

H Brown

JWAzevedo

Re: User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions
Follett Technical Support confirms that they do not support Athena with
Vista. The program has not been tested with Vista, and since they are not
developing that program any longer, they are not going to troubleshoot
problems. The program itself is working fine for our tiny library, and as I
said, to change it now would create serious problems for us. The only issue
we have -- and this is the issue I brought to the forum -- is that Vista User
Account Control won’t let us open the program without an administrator
password. So I’ll repeat that question and ask for a specific answer: How
can I tweak Vista to tell it to allow this program to open without challenge
from UAC? Thanks.

> Follett Technical Support confirms that they do not support Athena with
> Vista. The program has not been tested with Vista, and since they are not
> developing that program any longer, they are not going to troubleshoot
> problems. The program itself is working fine for our tiny library, and as
> said, to change it now would create serious problems for us. The only
> issue
> we have -- and this is the issue I brought to the forum -- is that Vista
> User
> Account Control won’t let us open the program without an administrator
> password. So I’ll repeat that question and ask for a specific answer: How
> can I tweak Vista to tell it to allow this program to open without
> challenge
> from UAC? Thanks.
> Jerry

I will try to get back to you with other possible solutions a little later.

JWAzevedo

Re: User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions
I'm still looking for a solution here.

I've tried 3rd-party tools (TweakUAC and Norton UAC Control), but though
they're great for the administrator account, the standard user account is
still prompted when opening this program.

For the moment, UAC is off. That might be the "solution", though I hope not.

Best,
Jerry

"H Brown" wrote:

> I will try to get back to you with other possible solutions a little later.

Mike Torello

Re: User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions
JWAzevedo <JWAzevedo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm still looking for a solution here.
>
>I've tried 3rd-party tools (TweakUAC and Norton UAC Control), but though
>they're great for the administrator account, the standard user account is
>still prompted when opening this program.
>
>For the moment, UAC is off. That might be the "solution", though I hope not.

I've had UAC off for 6 months. Don't plan to ever turn it back on.

If that's your fix, run with it and don't look back.