I am unable to switch ownership of files in a prior C: Hard drive

Barabin25

I am unable to switch ownership of files in a prior C: Hard drive

I am trying to open files on my old hard drive using my new Vista Home
Premium x64. I can see the icons but do not have permission to open
them.

I am using a USB2.0 to IDE adaptor. I removed the pin from the
master/slave 8 pin array.

I have clicked on the hard drive I: properties, security, advanced,
owner and edit and changed the owner to that of my VISTA administrator
account by selecting as a new owner my new admin account, checkmark in
"replace owner on all subcontainers and objects" and (apply) - the
computer security opens a window and spends about 5 minutes shifting
ownership, file by file, then I click ok ok ok.

When I look at the drive in computer, my new computer (C:\) has an
admin account WIG2, while the old hard drive was named say DOG1, and the
new owner of the I: folder is now WIG2 (PC\DOG2). However, I cannot open
word files from that drive or copy them to my new computer.

What am I doing wrong?
Should I change pin conformation on the old hard drive?
Have I really changed ownership to the account on my new C drive or
just renamed the account on the I: drive (the former C:\ drive)?
Do I have to shut off the firewall on the former C:\ drive?
I don't have this problem with the old slave drive that I had on the
computer, only with the old C: drive.

Thanks for the help.

--
Barabin25
David Glienna

Re: I am unable to switch ownership of files in a prior C: Hard drive
Its the same as it was with XP. Home didn't have the SECURITY tab in
Explorer properties. You needed PRO to take ownership of files. Vista Home
has the same limitation.

- David

"Barabin25" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to open files on my old hard drive using my new Vista Home
> Premium x64. I can see the icons but do not have permission to open
> them.
>
> I am using a USB2.0 to IDE adaptor. I removed the pin from the
> master/slave 8 pin array.
>
> I have clicked on the hard drive I: properties, security, advanced,
> owner and edit and changed the owner to that of my VISTA administrator
> account by selecting as a new owner my new admin account, checkmark in
> "replace owner on all subcontainers and objects" and (apply) - the
> computer security opens a window and spends about 5 minutes shifting
> ownership, file by file, then I click ok ok ok.
>
> When I look at the drive in computer, my new computer (C:\) has an
> admin account WIG2, while the old hard drive was named say DOG1, and the
> new owner of the I: folder is now WIG2 (PC\DOG2). However, I cannot open
> word files from that drive or copy them to my new computer.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
> Should I change pin conformation on the old hard drive?
> Have I really changed ownership to the account on my new C drive or
> just renamed the account on the I: drive (the former C:\ drive)?
> Do I have to shut off the firewall on the former C:\ drive?
> I don't have this problem with the old slave drive that I had on the
> computer, only with the old C: drive.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>

> --
> Barabin25

Michael Walraven

Re: I am unable to switch ownership of files in a prior C: Hard drive
Being the owner of a file does not automatically imply that you can read
that file. As well as changing the ownership you may need to change the
permissions. Make sure that you set the first permission line to yourself
and all permissions and allow that to propagate down the structure. (Vista
Home Premium 32 SP1, but should be same with 64 bit)

Also it would help if you stated a path/file you are having problems with
and quote the error response you are receiving.
Michael