Change Administrator folder association?

=?Utf-8?B?amFidWxhbmktam9ubnk=?=

Change Administrator folder association?
When I installed Vista Premium I created an Admin account using my name. I
have since decided to go back in and create a standard user, also using my
name. Of course in the User folder I have an Administrator folder which is
empty, a \(Name) folder and a \(Name_2) folder. I was hoping my Admin
account would have used the Administrator folder, but apparently it created
the \(Name) folder for that Admin account. Is there a way to tie my renamed
Admin account to the \Administrator folder, rather than the \(Name) folder so
that I can delete the \(Name) folder and rename the \(Name_2) folder? Does
that make sense?

Essentially I just want two folders in my \User folder, one for
Administrator and one for the standard User account. Since I originally used
my name for my Admin account it is making this process difficult.

Again, I'd like my Admin account, whatever it's named, to use the
\User\Administrator folder rather than the \User\(Name) folder. Possible?
=?Utf-8?B?amFidWxhbmktam9ubnk=?=

RE: Change Administrator folder association?
Well, I've moved all items from the \(Name) folder that was originally
associated with my (Name) Administrator account to the \User\Administrator
folder and made sure the location associations changed appropriately, and
they did.

Now, I've gone through and changed the read-only status of the \(Name)
folder so that I can delete the files in the hidden folders and eventually
delete that folder so I can rename the \(Name_2) folder to \(Name). The
problem I run into is when I try to delete the files the computer locks up
and I have to do a hard reboot, which I don't like doing. Any thoughts?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change Administrator folder association?
That Users\Administrator folder is there because there is a hidden
Administrator account associated with it.
What your doing here is corrupting this built-in administrator account that
is used for emergency recovery.

If you try to change the name of your own accounts user folders, you will
also corrupt those accounts. There are hundreds of registry keys that
reference those folders with their original names.

You need to try and undo what you have already changed or use System Restore
to go back to a point before you started making these changes.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> That Users\Administrator folder is there because there is a hidden
> Administrator account associated with it.
> What your doing here is corrupting this built-in administrator account that
> is used for emergency recovery.
>
> If you try to change the name of your own accounts user folders, you will
> also corrupt those accounts. There are hundreds of registry keys that
> reference those folders with their original names.
>
> You need to try and undo what you have already changed or use System Restore
> to go back to a point before you started making these changes.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> Doh. Leave it to me to do something boneheaded. I figured I might be doing something like that after reading about the hidden administrator account in a couple of other forums. I'll restore and leave it at that. Thx for the help!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change Administrator folder association?
Your welcome, let us know if you need more help.