Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile

Metajoe

Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile

I am trying to set up a standard user profile on my laptop for my mom to
use because personally I do not want her to be snooping around in my own
profile when she uses it for school. So, I went into the control panel
and created a NEW account for her. I didn't have any problems doing
that. I set up folder permissions and then went to test the new user
and although it took awhile for Vista to prepare the account, I got in
and an error message came up about how some Vista email client failed
and pressed OK and I let it sit for awhile and nothing else came up. So
now if I try to log into that account, it gets stuck at a blank blue
background. I opened up the task manager and tried running
explorer.exe, but it wouldn't start. I've also tried pulling up
services.msc, but that won't come up either. So I'm rather clueless as
what to do next and Googling for this problem hasn't helped me find any
fixes for it either.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and what I can do to
make it work?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here.

--
Metajoe
Michael Walraven

Re: Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile
The phrase 'set up folder permissions' sounds like a possible problem. If
you changed the standard permissions you might have changed them enough that
Vista can no longer perform correctly on those files.

Remove the account.
Go to c:\users and delete the folder that was created.

Create the account again. This time leave ownership and permissions of the
files alone. After the account is fully set up and running then you can
consider changing permissions etc .

Michael

"Metajoe" <Metajoe.3a60b11@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to set up a standard user profile on my laptop for my mom to
> use because personally I do not want her to be snooping around in my own
> profile when she uses it for school. So, I went into the control panel
> and created a NEW account for her. I didn't have any problems doing
> that. I set up folder permissions and then went to test the new user
> and although it took awhile for Vista to prepare the account, I got in
> and an error message came up about how some Vista email client failed
> and pressed OK and I let it sit for awhile and nothing else came up. So
> now if I try to log into that account, it gets stuck at a blank blue
> background. I opened up the task manager and tried running
> explorer.exe, but it wouldn't start. I've also tried pulling up
> services.msc, but that won't come up either. So I'm rather clueless as
> what to do next and Googling for this problem hasn't helped me find any
> fixes for it either.
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and what I can do to
> make it work?
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here.
>

> --
> Metajoe

Metajoe

Re: Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile

I deleted the account and folder and tried again. Same thing. Some
mail error message comes up and nothing happens afterwards. The only
processes that I saw running in the task manager were;

csrss.exe
dwm.exe
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe

That's it. Tried pulling up explorer.exe and that failed. No errors,
but it wouldn't actually start up.

--
Metajoe
Michael Walraven

Re: Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile
Sounds like the template that is used to create a new user has become hosed.
I THINK that is at c:\users\Default
(need to show system/hidden files). It might be that if you rename that
folder it MIGHT recreate it with default settings. However you should
probably wait and get better advice from someone who knows more. Sorry that
I was a dead end for helping you.

Michael
(BTW, you are more likely to get assistance if you include problem and
replies in each message. They can get pretty long but then someone seeing
the conversation can step it and help. For instance from parts of the thread
included here, no one would know what your problem is or what other things
you have tried.)

"Metajoe" <Metajoe.3a6ec10@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> I deleted the account and folder and tried again. Same thing. Some
> mail error message comes up and nothing happens afterwards. The only
> processes that I saw running in the task manager were;
>
> csrss.exe
> dwm.exe
> taskmgr.exe
> winlogon.exe
>
> That's it. Tried pulling up explorer.exe and that failed. No errors,
> but it wouldn't actually start up.
>

> --
> Metajoe

Metajoe

Re: Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile

What would cause the template to go haywire on me then? And what about
that "Default" folder? What would I have to rename it to? I already
have a folder for the account I created.

No, no, it's ok, at least you've tried to help me. Of all the other
topics I've made for this, the only other person to reply offered an
encryption program for my account to use, which is a last resort for
me.

So thank you for throwing out an idea and replying to this thread. I
appreciate any help I can get. Vista doesn't seem to be an OS people
are willing to help others with, from what I'm seeing.

--
Metajoe
Michael Walraven

Re: Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile
I would rename to something like OldDefault

A point: Have you modified the security for the system? I.e. have you turned
off UAC, changed permissions/ownership for system controlled area? ( It
helps others to understand your configuration).
Also do you have virus/malware protection programs that purport to 'protect'
your system from changes? Turning off or disabling these features may help.

Looking out on web there seem to be others with similar problems but I have
not seen solutions.

Here are a couple of more ideas, well worth their cost.

in regedit,
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
open the various S-1-5-..... until you find the one that has c:\users\your
new user as 'ProfileImagePath', delete this entry. (the entire S-1-5-.....)

Make sure that there aren't any more profiles with this entry.

delete the c:\users\your new user folder entirely.

shutdown and restart

verify that there is no c:\users\your new user or entry in the registry that
you deleted

now try to create the new user

Also if (whoops - when) you get your problem solved do post back what you
did to solve it!!! The next person would be much appreciative.

"Metajoe" <Metajoe.3a83d8e@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> What would cause the template to go haywire on me then? And what about
> that "Default" folder? What would I have to rename it to? I already
> have a folder for the account I created.
>
> No, no, it's ok, at least you've tried to help me. Of all the other
> topics I've made for this, the only other person to reply offered an
> encryption program for my account to use, which is a last resort for
> me.
>
> So thank you for throwing out an idea and replying to this thread. I
> appreciate any help I can get. Vista doesn't seem to be an OS people
> are willing to help others with, from what I'm seeing.
>
> 'Michael Walraven[_3_ Wrote:
>> ;770922']Sounds like the template that is used to create a new user has
>> become hosed.
>> I THINK that is at c:\users\Default
>> (need to show system/hidden files). It might be that if you rename that
>>
>> folder it MIGHT recreate it with default settings. However you should
>> probably wait and get better advice from someone who knows more. Sorry
>> that
>> I was a dead end for helping you.
>>
>> Michael
>> (BTW, you are more likely to get assistance if you include problem and
>>
>> replies in each message. They can get pretty long but then someone
>> seeing
>> the conversation can step it and help. For instance from parts of the
>> thread
>> included here, no one would know what your problem is or what other
>> things
>> you have tried.)
>>

>> "Metajoe" Metajoe.3a6ec10@vistabanter.com wrote in message
>>
>> I deleted the account and folder and tried again. Same thing. Some
>> mail error message comes up and nothing happens afterwards. The only
>> processes that I saw running in the task manager were;
>>
>> csrss.exe
>> dwm.exe
>> taskmgr.exe
>> winlogon.exe
>>
>> That's it. Tried pulling up explorer.exe and that failed. No
>> errors,
>> but it wouldn't actually start up.
>>

>> --
>> Metajoe -

> --
> Metajoe

Michael Walraven

Re: Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile
WARNING WARNING WILL ROBINSON

I tried renaming the Default directory. (The cook should eat his own bread).
I lost my PS-2 mouse, no response just arrow in the middle of the screen.

I got the mouse back by:
Power down (not restart).
Removed mouse
Powerup until system was ready for user/password
Power down
Plugged mouse back in.
Powered up, mouse was ok.

Powering down/up with without removing the mouse did NOT find the mouse.

Sorry about that....
Michael

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> probably wait and get better advice from someone who knows more. Sorry
>>> that
>>> I was a dead end for helping you.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>> (BTW, you are more likely to get assistance if you include problem and
>>>
>>> replies in each message. They can get pretty long but then someone
>>> seeing
>>> the conversation can step it and help. For instance from parts of the
>>> thread
>>> included here, no one would know what your problem is or what other
>>> things
>>> you have tried.)
>>>

>>> "Metajoe" Metajoe.3a6ec10@vistabanter.com wrote in message
>>>
>>> I deleted the account and folder and tried again. Same thing. Some
>>> mail error message comes up and nothing happens afterwards. The only
>>> processes that I saw running in the task manager were;

>>> dwm.exe
>>> taskmgr.exe
>>> winlogon.exe
>>>
>>> That's it. Tried pulling up explorer.exe and that failed. No
>>> errors,
>>> but it wouldn't actually start up.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Metajoe -

>> --
>> Metajoe

Metajoe

Re: Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile

I see that folder rename idea didn't work for you, so I doubt it'd work
for me.

I have UAC off and have Windows Defender and AVG running basically for
protection, so I don't know if they'd have anything to do with it.

Yeah, I looked around online first before registering an account here
without much of a lead anywhere.

And I'll try that Regedit thing either tonight or tomorrow morning.
It's almost 11pm here.

"Metajoe" <Metajoe.3a8ae0d@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>>

>> "Metajoe" Metajoe.3a6ec10@vistabanter.com wrote in message
>>
>> I deleted the account and folder and tried again. Same thing. Some
>> mail error message comes up and nothing happens afterwards. The only
>> processes that I saw running in the task manager were;
>>
>> csrss.exe
>> dwm.exe
>> taskmgr.exe
>> winlogon.exe
>>
>> That's it. Tried pulling up explorer.exe and that failed. No
>> errors,
>> but it wouldn't actually start up.
>>

>> --
>> Metajoe --
>>

>> --
>> Metajoe -

> --
> Metajoe

Michael Walraven

Re: Vista Home Premium: New user account failing to load user profile
I put the folder name back before I ever got to trying making a new account
so don't actually know how that would have worked out.

I would try putting UAC back on while you try to create the new user, you
might get some usefully clues from what it natters about. I think AVG is
just an antivirus, but I haven't used it for several upgrades so don't for
sure about that either. Windows Defender will protect the system from
changes and you might try disabling that. Would think that it could handle
add a new user OK but stranger things have happened. (I lost my old tube
monitor last night, just coincidence but if I didn't already know it was
failing I sure would have been suspicious that my fooling around did it -
like my mouse).

Michael