Accidentally Removed Administrator Account

m121038

Accidentally Removed Administrator Account

Hopefully this is in the right forum, I don't know much about computers.
Anyways, I have a Dell running Vista Buisness 32 bit that was issued to
me by the Navy. I'm out of the military now and wanted to change around
some of the user settings (some kinda annoying DoD login stuff) but
unfortunately managed to do something dumb. Rather than just modifying
the login screen which I meant to do, I think I removed the
administrator user account.

Before, whenever I wanted to change anything about the computer or
install something, etc, I would get a little message asking "Are you
sure?" and then asking for permission. I would just click okay and it'd
work.

Now, though, when I go to change something (like trying to do a "System
Restore" after my mistake) it comes up with that same permission box,
but is asking for a user name and a password that I don't have/didn't
set up. I don't know if this is because I totally wiped out
administrator controls or it's asking for the infor our IT folk put into
it before (if they did leave themselves an entrance account I can't get
the info for it)

All the changes I made were through the control panel, user accounts
interface.

Any help or advice you guys could give me would be very much
appreciated, the OS still works overall but I can't install anything
new, or download anything, or even use some programs/processes already
installed.

And yes, I know I'm an idiot[image:
http://www.vistahelpforum.com/images/smilies/frown.gif]

--
m121038
RodneyMckay

Re: Accidentally Removed Administrator Account

It would appear that for some reason, you are no longer an administrator
on your computer.
How many accounts are on your computer?

--
RodneyMckay

My Vista Is Unlaggable...
-well, normally.-
m121038

Re: Accidentally Removed Administrator Account

Well, I can't get into them through the User Accounts section of Control
Panel without permission, but in my Windows folder on C:/ under Users I
can see 4: Default, m121038 (the one I use), Maintenance, and Public. I
don't know how to access anything other than the second one.

--
m121038
SIW2

m121038;926488 Wrote:
> Hopefully this is in the right forum, I don't know much about computers.
> Anyways, I have a Dell running Vista Buisness 32 bit that was issued to
> me by the Navy. I'm out of the military now and wanted to change around
> some of the user settings (some kinda annoying DoD login stuff) but
> unfortunately managed to do something dumb. Rather than just modifying
> the login screen which I meant to do, I think I removed the
> administrator user account.
>
> Before, whenever I wanted to change anything about the computer or
> install something, etc, I would get a little message asking "Are you
> sure?" and then asking for permission. I would just click okay and it'd
> work.
>

> Now, though, when I go to change something (like trying to do a "System
> Restore" after my mistake) it comes up with that same permission box,
> but is asking for a user name and a password that I don't have/didn't
> set up. I don't know if this is because I totally wiped out
> administrator controls or it's asking for the infor our IT folk put into
> it before (if they did leave themselves an entrance account I can't get
> the info for it)
>
> All the changes I made were through the control panel, user accounts
> interface.
>
> Any help or advice you guys could give me would be very much
> appreciated, the OS still works overall but I can't install anything
> new, or download anything, or even use some programs/processes already
> installed.
>
> And yes, I know I'm an idiot[image:
> http://www.vistahelpforum.com/images/smilies/frown.gif]

You might try going into Safe Mode ( tap F8 after the Bios screen and
before Vista starts loading )

See if you can create a new administrator account from there

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93...nt-create.html

Or you might try this

http://www.pcloginnow.com/

SIW2

--
SIW2
m121038

Re: Accidentally Removed Administrator Account

First option didn't work, it turns out that it gives me a UAC prompt
asking if I want to continue when I try to open the elevated command
prompt, which without an administrator account I can't do.

Working on the second option now, hopefully I can install it without a
popup.

Thanks!

--
m121038
chelseabun

Re: Accidentally Removed Administrator Account

I have done the exact same thing and can't find any way to fix things.
I would love some assistance!

--
chelseabun