Help? Installation, Account Levels, Ownership, Startup & Defender

=?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWFu?=

Help? Installation, Account Levels, Ownership, Startup & Defender
[Vista Home Premium]

I have a problem. I installed AVG antivirus (among other things) but
Defender always stops its Control Center at startup. No one has been able to
tell me how to overcome this so far, but I am wondering whether it is to do
with "ownership"?

I am running in a named account (Not THE Admin account) but have taken Admin
privileges (so that at least I can click UAC without password retyping).

Now I can't recall whether I installed AVG from the Admin account, or from
the User account (with Admin priviliges, or without and using Run As
Administrator), but Administrators (PCname\Administrators) is the owner...

Would the inability to get AVG Control Centre to be permitted by Defender
have anything to do with it having been installed in another account??? If
so, how might I correct it? If I make myself owner, would I then simply have
transferred the startup problem to the other account?

FY(extra)I I have an AVG folder in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\AVG7
(latest date in folder 29 Mar), another one in
C:\Users\User.PCname\AppData\Roaming\AVG7 (latest date in folder 3 Apr),
C:\ProgramData\avg7 (latest date in folder 6 Apr)

I must confess I haven't read up yet on what the hierarchy under each user
is about, so it seems odd to have it all in roaming... just one local user -
me

Does it make a difference who installs an app (which account?)?

Confused - specific answers and pointers to general enlightenment much
appreciated!

Julian

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Help? Installation, Account Levels, Ownership, Startup & Defender
Is this the free version of AVG? If so, make sure that you have the Vista
compatible version, check their website.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [Vista Home Premium]
>
> I have a problem. I installed AVG antivirus (among other things) but
> Defender always stops its Control Center at startup. No one has been able
> tell me how to overcome this so far, but I am wondering whether it is to
> do
> with "ownership"?
>
> I am running in a named account (Not THE Admin account) but have taken
> Admin
> privileges (so that at least I can click UAC without password retyping).
>
> Now I can't recall whether I installed AVG from the Admin account, or from
> the User account (with Admin priviliges, or without and using Run As
> Administrator), but Administrators (PCname\Administrators) is the owner...
>
> Would the inability to get AVG Control Centre to be permitted by Defender
> have anything to do with it having been installed in another account??? If
> so, how might I correct it? If I make myself owner, would I then simply
> have
> transferred the startup problem to the other account?
>
> FY(extra)I I have an AVG folder in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\AVG7
> (latest date in folder 29 Mar), another one in
> C:\Users\User.PCname\AppData\Roaming\AVG7 (latest date in folder 3 Apr),
> C:\ProgramData\avg7 (latest date in folder 6 Apr)
>
> I must confess I haven't read up yet on what the hierarchy under each user
> is about, so it seems odd to have it all in roaming... just one local
> user -
> me
>
> Does it make a difference who installs an app (which account?)?
>
> Confused - specific answers and pointers to general enlightenment much
> appreciated!
>
> Julian

=?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWFu?=

Re: Help? Installation, Account Levels, Ownership, Startup & Defen
Thanks for responding -

I was confident I had downloaded it specifically for its Vista compatibility
but checked their website (assumption is the mother of all f-u's), the
executable I installed is the same as that currently available
avg75free_446a965.exe.

NB It was a clean install on a brand new Vista laptop, not a Vista upgrade.

What to check next?

Julian