Can't get rid of write-protection.

Wille

Can't get rid of write-protection.
Hey!

I have a really enoying problem! The folder that I keep all my music in have
turned itself into write protection and I cant turn it off!?!

Every time I turn it of in properties and click on ok, exit and enter
properties again its there!?

I use windows vista home premium.

thanks.
Michael Walraven

Re: Can't get rid of write-protection.
Folders are not 'write protected', files are possibly 'read-only'.
Note the comment alongside the 'read-only' box 'only applies to files in
folders'.

All folders will show the same filled in box.

Also note that the box is a filled in square not a check mark as it is for
'read-only' files.

Michael

"Wille" <Wille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey!
>
> I have a really enoying problem! The folder that I keep all my music in
> have
> turned itself into write protection and I cant turn it off!?!
>
> Every time I turn it of in properties and click on ok, exit and enter
> properties again its there!?
>
> I use windows vista home premium.
>
> thanks.

Dennis Bryant BPC Solutions

Re: Can't get rid of write-protection.
have you tried going into the command prompt and setting permissions using
"attrib" Also try taking ownership of the directory?

"Wille" <Wille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey!
>
> I have a really enoying problem! The folder that I keep all my music in
> have
> turned itself into write protection and I cant turn it off!?!
>
> Every time I turn it of in properties and click on ok, exit and enter
> properties again its there!?
>
> I use windows vista home premium.
>
> thanks.

Michael Walraven

Re: Can't get rid of write-protection.
'write protected' does not apply to folders/directories, only to files.
Whatever the OP's problem was it was not that the folder was write
protected.
The check box that is seen is a filled in square, not a check, also note the
comment with it, applies only to FILES within that folder.

Michael

"Dennis Bryant BPC Solutions" <bpcsolutions@comcast.net> wrote in message
> have you tried going into the command prompt and setting permissions using
> "attrib" Also try taking ownership of the directory?
>
> "Wille" <Wille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hey!
>>
>> I have a really enoying problem! The folder that I keep all my music in
>> have
>> turned itself into write protection and I cant turn it off!?!
>>
>> Every time I turn it of in properties and click on ok, exit and enter
>> properties again its there!?
>>
>> I use windows vista home premium.
>>
>> thanks.

Gonefishin

"Dennis Bryant BPC Solutions" wrote:

> have you tried going into the command prompt and setting permissions using
> "attrib" Also try taking ownership of the directory?
>
> "Wille" <Wille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey!
> >
> > I have a really enoying problem! The folder that I keep all my music in
> > have
> > turned itself into write protection and I cant turn it off!?!
> >
> > Every time I turn it of in properties and click on ok, exit and enter
> > properties again its there!?
> >
> > I use windows vista home premium.
> >
> > thanks.

Gonefishin

Re: Can't get rid of write-protection.

Hi there
I have an apparently identical problem using Windows XP witrh SP3.
How do I take ovnership - there does not appear to be a "share" option in
the "Files options£
Thanks

"Dennis Bryant BPC Solutions" wrote:

> have you tried going into the command prompt and setting permissions using
> "attrib" Also try taking ownership of the directory?
>
> "Wille" <Wille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey!
> >
> > I have a really enoying problem! The folder that I keep all my music in
> > have
> > turned itself into write protection and I cant turn it off!?!
> >
> > Every time I turn it of in properties and click on ok, exit and enter
> > properties again its there!?
> >
> > I use windows vista home premium.
> >
> > thanks.

Walt Thatcher

Gonefishin <Gonefishin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there
>I have an apparently identical problem using Windows XP witrh SP3.

Then ask your question in an XP GROUP.