Changed name of Administrator Account - now daily user - is that a problem?

tommyh1958

Changed name of Administrator Account - now daily user - is that a problem?

Folks,

Last weekend I was setting up our new computer (Intel E8600, Asus P5k,
4GB RAM etc) with Vista Home Premium (64-bit) SP1. I set up user
accounts for the family, installed a few programmes & updates,
transferred some files etc etc. I had some difficulty networking with my
Windows XP computer which got me exploring the new Vista set-up.

What I appear to have done is, instead of setting up a new account for
myself on Vista, I seem to have re-named the Administrator Account as
Tom. The logon screen has Tom as a user (no Administrator). When
logged in as Tom, if I save a file in Documents and then open Documents
using Orb > Documents it is there. However, if I open up Windows
Explorer > Users then there is both Administrator & Tom and the file is
in the Administrator > Documents and Tom > Documents is actually empty.
As another example, if I check the pathway to my e-mail folders they are
in Users > Administrator > AppData.

So I seem to be using the Administrator Account as my routine user
logon. My question is is this a problem? Things seem to be working all
right I even managed to access my User shared files (rather than just
the Public folders) on the Vista from the XP computer with user name
Administrator + my Tom password (pure guesswork)?! Seeing some of the
other posts about having to access the hidden Administrator account I
wonder whether it might be quite useful?

The other question is, if it is a problem, how do I change it? In
Control panel > Users > Tom it will not re-name to Administrator as that
account already exists, there is no option to delete user (I guess
because it is the Administrator account?). If I go into the side-link
for advanced user configuration there is both the \Administrator\ and
the \Tom\ profile with a delete option could I delete Tom & then
create a normal account allowing the Administrator to become hidden?

The only way I have seen on the forum to change the Administrator
account name back to Administrator is to do a restore this would be a
pain as I would have to go back a week & start all over again (the kids
would be cross). I think my default is if it aint broke dont fix
it but I dont want to be heading for a catastrophe and if I need to
do a restore I need to do it before the timepoint drops out of the
memory.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Cheers, T.

--
tommyh1958
Shachar2

RE: Changed name of Administrator Account - now daily user - is that a
Hi Tom

It might be in a microsoft knowladgebase, it's valid for XP too:
'when you change a user account name the folder name isn't changed'
so the administrator account that you renamed to tom is using the
administrator folder

the other administrator account that you created isn't using the same
administrator folder, it can't. it's using some other name could be
administrator001 or something similer

you might have the option but you can't delete the built in administrator
account (even if you renamed it and "created" a similer username). delete the
administrator account that you created then rename tom back to administrator

that should restore things back to default