Is there a WinXP.administration_accounts_passwords news group?

Joseph Henry

Is there a WinXP.administration_accounts_passwords news group?
I am using WinXP professional and have not a set password. When I attempt to
set up either a ethernet network or wireless network between this computer
and another computer (either Mac or PC) I am asked for a password. Does
WinXP Professional set a default password independent of any I might set? I
have even established a password from the Control Panel applet and then
deleted the password in hopes of establish the network without a password.
This did not work.

Anyone with ideas on how to discovering the password please reply.

Mort

Re: Is there a WinXP.administration_accounts_passwords news group?
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:00:56 -0500, Joseph Henry
<josephhenry@canantv.tv> wrote:

>I am using WinXP professional and have not a set password.

And you also have not posted to the correct group.

This is a VISTA group.

--
Mort D.
GTS

Re: Is there a WinXP.administration_accounts_passwords news group?
There is an XP security_admin group though your question is more
applicable to the XP network_web group.
XP PRO, if set to standard sharing, will require a password or matching
account. If set to simple file sharing, the guest account is used and will
not require a password.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040
--

"Joseph Henry" <josephhenry@canantv.tv> wrote in message
>I am using WinXP professional and have not a set password. When I attempt
> set up either a ethernet network or wireless network between this computer
> and another computer (either Mac or PC) I am asked for a password. Does
> WinXP Professional set a default password independent of any I might set?
> have even established a password from the Control Panel applet and then
> deleted the password in hopes of establish the network without a password.
> This did not work.
>
> Anyone with ideas on how to discovering the password please reply.

Bruce Chambers

Joseph Henry wrote:
> I am using WinXP professional and have not a set password. When I attempt to
> set up either a ethernet network or wireless network between this computer
> and another computer (either Mac or PC) I am asked for a password. Does
> WinXP Professional set a default password independent of any I might set? I
> have even established a password from the Control Panel applet and then
> deleted the password in hopes of establish the network without a password.
> This did not work.
>
> Anyone with ideas on how to discovering the password please reply.

To answer the question in your subject line:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

On each WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with non-blank
password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
configured properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall is
disabled on the internal LAN connection.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...et/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm