Completely lost administration abilities

=?Utf-8?B?U0RMU0FHSU5BVw==?=

Completely lost administration abilities
Did what I usually do on XP: created dummy user w/admin, drop real user to
limited, hide dummy via registry. On XP, this gives "Administrator" and real
user login icons on the login screen - nice and tidy. Not Vista. Still only
shows lowly real user.

Now, I have no way to undo it. Login only shows real user, no admin.
Ctrl-Alt-Del no longer gives place to type in hidden user name, all admin
operations ask for a password but nowhere to type it. No luck via safe mode.
From recovery panel, regedit shows nothing I did, so can't unhide dummy
account that has admin.

Help! How can I (1) edit the registry w/o admin privs, or (2) add another
user or activate administrator account w/o admin privs? Machine is not part
of a domain.
Don Varnau

Re: Completely lost administration abilities
Hi,
Can you, in Safe Mode, get to Control panel> Administrative tools> Computer
management> Local users and groups> Users ? If you can access Users, try
right-click> Properties> uncheck "Account is disabled" for admin accounts.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"SDLSAGINAW" <SDLSAGINAW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did what I usually do on XP: created dummy user w/admin, drop real user to
> limited, hide dummy via registry. On XP, this gives "Administrator" and

real
> user login icons on the login screen - nice and tidy. Not Vista. Still

only
> shows lowly real user.
>
> Now, I have no way to undo it. Login only shows real user, no admin.
> Ctrl-Alt-Del no longer gives place to type in hidden user name, all admin
> operations ask for a password but nowhere to type it. No luck via safe

mode.
> From recovery panel, regedit shows nothing I did, so can't unhide dummy
> account that has admin.
>
> Help! How can I (1) edit the registry w/o admin privs, or (2) add another
> user or activate administrator account w/o admin privs? Machine is not

part
> of a domain.

=?Utf-8?B?U0RMU0FHSU5BVw==?=

Re: Completely lost administration abilities
Safe mode wouldn't give me any extra rights either, all priviledged
operations asked for admin password, but nowhere to type it in.

Ended up doing a system restore from recovery environment to a time before I
did the changes, so at least the system is back to usable again.

Anyway, I had forgotten that Vista never enabled the administrator account
before I did this 'trick' so I really hosed myself.

Turns out the trick wasn't needed anyway, Vista is happy to show
administrator login whenever enabled.

XP won't show the administrator login if another non-hidden user has admin
privs, and user maintenance won't let you drop the last real login to a
limited user so you can get the real administrator login to show. Catch-22,
thus the 'trick'.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Can you, in Safe Mode, get to Control panel> Administrative tools> Computer
> management> Local users and groups> Users ? If you can access Users, try
> right-click> Properties> uncheck "Account is disabled" for admin accounts.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "SDLSAGINAW" <SDLSAGINAW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Did what I usually do on XP: created dummy user w/admin, drop real user to
> > limited, hide dummy via registry. On XP, this gives "Administrator" and

> real
> > user login icons on the login screen - nice and tidy. Not Vista. Still

> only
> > shows lowly real user.
> >
> > Now, I have no way to undo it. Login only shows real user, no admin.
> > Ctrl-Alt-Del no longer gives place to type in hidden user name, all admin
> > operations ask for a password but nowhere to type it. No luck via safe

> mode.
> > From recovery panel, regedit shows nothing I did, so can't unhide dummy
> > account that has admin.
> >
> > Help! How can I (1) edit the registry w/o admin privs, or (2) add another
> > user or activate administrator account w/o admin privs? Machine is not

> part
> > of a domain.

Don Varnau

Re: Completely lost administration abilities
Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for the report.

Don