Changing Icons in Vista..

Ted Gervais

Changing Icons in Vista..
I notice that when I try and change an icon to something better than just
the Windows version of what it thinks an icon should have for a picture,
that I can't make the change. I click on a new picture and save it, and no
sir.... that windows picture remains.

Whats there fix for this, if there is one...??

---
Ted Gervais
6233 CR 609
Site 325
Bushnell, Florida
33513

Walt Thatcher

Re: Changing Icons in Vista..
"Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@av.eastlink.ca> wrote:

>I notice that when I try and change an icon to something better than just
>the Windows version of what it thinks an icon should have for a picture,
>that I can't make the change. I click on a new picture and save it, and no
>sir.... that windows picture remains.
>
>Whats there fix for this, if there is one...??

You can't make just any .JPG serve as an icon, no matter how much you
think you should be able to. An icon file has the suffix .ICO and is
a particular size and format.
Ted Gervais

Re: Changing Icons in Vista..
Thanks for the detailed response.
Well the icons I was trying to use were part of the Vista installation. In
fact some of the icons were already in use and they disappeared and became
Microsoft (M) icons.

How can I change that so whatever Icons I get to work will stay...

"Walt Thatcher" <thatcherw57@gNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> "Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@av.eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
>>I notice that when I try and change an icon to something better than just
>>the Windows version of what it thinks an icon should have for a picture,
>>that I can't make the change. I click on a new picture and save it, and
>>no
>>sir.... that windows picture remains.
>>
>>Whats there fix for this, if there is one...??

> You can't make just any .JPG serve as an icon, no matter how much you
> think you should be able to. An icon file has the suffix .ICO and is
> a particular size and format.

Walt Thatcher

Re: Changing Icons in Vista..
"Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@av.eastlink.ca> wrote:

>Thanks for the detailed response.
>Well the icons I was trying to use were part of the Vista installation. In
>fact some of the icons were already in use and they disappeared and became
>Microsoft (M) icons.
>
>How can I change that so whatever Icons I get to work will stay...

First... I see you started another thread on this. Not cool.

Second... you didn't say what items have icons that won't hold. If
they are items that have a default program assigned, then a change in
the icon back to the original is to be expected until you change the
default program.

In other words, fuggedaboudit.
Ted Gervais

Re: Changing Icons in Vista..

Hi Walt and others on the list.

I am talking in generalities right now, as all my icons have been changed
back to Microsoft Icons. They were all different than what Microsoft
provides and then they have all been changed. I have tried to go back into
the properties to change them to something found in the 'list' that is
provided and some work and others won't. And than when I do find one that
works it only stays for a few days (or so) and than it reverts back to the
Microsoft (M) symbol.

Grrrrrrrrrrr..

> "Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@av.eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the detailed response.
>>Well the icons I was trying to use were part of the Vista installation. In
>>fact some of the icons were already in use and they disappeared and became
>>Microsoft (M) icons.
>>
>>How can I change that so whatever Icons I get to work will stay...

> First... I see you started another thread on this. Not cool.
>
> Second... you didn't say what items have icons that won't hold. If
> they are items that have a default program assigned, then a change in
> the icon back to the original is to be expected until you change the
> default program.
>
> In other words, fuggedaboudit.

Fred

Re: Changing Icons in Vista..
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:00:07 -0500, "Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi Walt and others on the list.
>

>I am talking in generalities right now, as all my icons have been changed
>back to Microsoft Icons.

This started with you complaining about "pictures". I would guess
that you have MS's picture gallery (or whatever it's called) as the
default viewer. Right?

>They were all different than what Microsoft
>provides and then they have all been changed.

How long ago did this happen? Do you have a system restore point that
precedes it?

Can you post an image of your desktop on one of the freebie image
sites?
Ted Gervais

Re: Changing Icons in Vista..

"Fred" <jfredricks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:00:07 -0500, "Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Walt and others on the list.
>>

>>I am talking in generalities right now, as all my icons have been changed
>>back to Microsoft Icons.

> This started with you complaining about "pictures". I would guess
> that you have MS's picture gallery (or whatever it's called) as the
> default viewer. Right?

Yes. Whatever that is provided. That is what I was chosing from..

>>They were all different than what Microsoft
>>provides and then they have all been changed.

> How long ago did this happen? Do you have a system restore point that
> precedes it?

No. And this has been happening all along. I select a different icon
(picture) and later it changes to the microsoft M.. (after a few days)..

> Can you post an image of your desktop on one of the freebie image
> sites?

Fred

Re: Changing Icons in Vista..
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:37:52 -0500, "Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Fred" <jfredricks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>news:hjlri4prjpl4j73pfab0u2kd0fv0eetojg@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:00:07 -0500, "Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Walt and others on the list.
>>>

>>>I am talking in generalities right now, as all my icons have been changed
>>>back to Microsoft Icons.

>> This started with you complaining about "pictures". I would guess
>> that you have MS's picture gallery (or whatever it's called) as the
>> default viewer. Right?

>Yes. Whatever that is provided. That is what I was chosing from..
>>
>>>They were all different than what Microsoft
>>>provides and then they have all been changed.

>> How long ago did this happen? Do you have a system restore point that
>> precedes it?

>No. And this has been happening all along. I select a different icon
>(picture) and later it changes to the microsoft M.. (after a few days)..
>

>> Can you post an image of your desktop on one of the freebie image
>> sites?

I'm sorry. You only speak in generalities and won't post a picture of
your desktop... I can't help you.

Buh-bye
Ted Gervais

Re: Changing Icons in Vista..
Thanks Fred. You comments are appreciated.

As to posting a picture of my desktop or the icons, I have no idea how to do
that.

Sorry.

"Fred" <jfredricks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news8rti4h90ku49niam0vs8modeogggppcas@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:37:52 -0500, "Ted Gervais" <ve1drg@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Fred" <jfredricks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>news:hjlri4prjpl4j73pfab0u2kd0fv0eetojg@4ax.com. ..

>>> This started with you complaining about "pictures". I would guess
>>> that you have MS's picture gallery (or whatever it's called) as the
>>> default viewer. Right?

>>Yes. Whatever that is provided. That is what I was chosing from..

>>> How long ago did this happen? Do you have a system restore point that
>>> precedes it?

>>No. And this has been happening all along. I select a different icon
>>(picture) and later it changes to the microsoft M.. (after a few days)..
>>

>>> Can you post an image of your desktop on one of the freebie image
>>> sites?

> I'm sorry. You only speak in generalities and won't post a picture of
> your desktop... I can't help you.
>
> Buh-bye

MeerCat

RE: Changing Icons in Vista..
I've found I had the same problem only with certain icons. Just pick
another, and another, until you find one that will "stick". Even then,
sometimes they just disappear and revert back to the original one like when
there's a power outage or something. Another "fluke" of Vista, albeit a
rather 'minor' one. There are much 'huger' issues with this stinky OS. I
really hate that if you bought a new PC you get stuck with this lousy, lousy
program. I'm really disgusted with the hours & hours I've spent trying to
fix things that are probably unfixable. It seems there is an impact on every
other program that's loaded, including Norton. Excuse me while I
vent....Good luck to you.