Won't ask for password when waking up from hibernation.

operaflute

Won't ask for password when waking up from hibernation.
Okay, I was forced to buy a new computer two days ago (my old XP Pro Dell is
dead - so sad...)

Anyway I'm a new Vista user and still setting up the new machine (HP
Pavilion dv2911us) to my preferences and I have already encountered a
problem. Starting yesterday, Vista no longer asks me for a password when I
wake the computer up from hibernation. Then it wouldn't boot at all. I did
the "system restore wizard" (which didn't really seem to do anything at all)
but I'm booted up again. Still, it does not ask for my password when waking
up from (although it did when I started.) I am a bit afraid to shut down
again!

The account IS password protected, and in the power management settings, the
option to ask for password after sleep/hibernate is indeed selected.

What is going on?

And (as a side note) what the heck is going on with this forum - I had the
darndest time posting my question at all...

operaflute

RE: Won't ask for password when waking up from hibernation.
Well, "reselecting" the option to ask for a password seemed to solve my
original problem. As far as not booting up at all, I think it's a problem
when I installed my hp printer driver and associated software. When I
uninstalled it, I also had trouble booting up, although the 2nd try worked
without messing with any recovery utilities.

"operaflute" wrote:

> Okay, I was forced to buy a new computer two days ago (my old XP Pro Dell is
> dead - so sad...)
>
> Anyway I'm a new Vista user and still setting up the new machine (HP
> Pavilion dv2911us) to my preferences and I have already encountered a
> problem. Starting yesterday, Vista no longer asks me for a password when I
> wake the computer up from hibernation. Then it wouldn't boot at all. I did
> the "system restore wizard" (which didn't really seem to do anything at all)
> but I'm booted up again. Still, it does not ask for my password when waking
> up from (although it did when I started.) I am a bit afraid to shut down
> again!
>
> The account IS password protected, and in the power management settings, the
> option to ask for password after sleep/hibernate is indeed selected.
>
> What is going on?
>
> And (as a side note) what the heck is going on with this forum - I had the
> darndest time posting my question at all...

MP Descartes

operaflute <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Well, "reselecting" the option to ask for a password seemed to solve my
>original problem. As far as not booting up at all, I think it's a problem
>when I installed my hp printer driver and associated software. When I
>uninstalled it, I also had trouble booting up, although the 2nd try worked
>without messing with any recovery utilities.

Sometimes it's best to not be so quick to ask for help. Often a
reboot fixes the problem, or taking the time to briefly look into your
problem will get you to a fix... as in the one you mention here.
operaflute

Re: Won't ask for password when waking up from hibernation.
True enough, although a reboot didn't do it! ;-)

"MP Descartes" wrote:

> operaflute <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Well, "reselecting" the option to ask for a password seemed to solve my
> >original problem. As far as not booting up at all, I think it's a problem
> >when I installed my hp printer driver and associated software. When I
> >uninstalled it, I also had trouble booting up, although the 2nd try worked
> >without messing with any recovery utilities.

> Sometimes it's best to not be so quick to ask for help. Often a
> reboot fixes the problem, or taking the time to briefly look into your
> problem will get you to a fix... as in the one you mention here.

JarasM

RE: Won't ask for password when waking up from hibernation.
I have a similar problem to yours, but the login screen is not shown only
occasionally, as in maybe once in five hibernations or so. Tried
"reselecting" the settings, but it still occurs, though it's hard to test it
without hibernating my laptop a few times. Otherwise all works fine, I'd say
it's more of a security issue - anyone can gain access to my laptop if they
try a few times.

Oh yeah, I got a HP Pavilion too, dv6625ew. Something with HP hardware maybe?

"operaflute" wrote:

> Okay, I was forced to buy a new computer two days ago (my old XP Pro Dell is
> dead - so sad...)
>
> Anyway I'm a new Vista user and still setting up the new machine (HP
> Pavilion dv2911us) to my preferences and I have already encountered a
> problem. Starting yesterday, Vista no longer asks me for a password when I
> wake the computer up from hibernation. Then it wouldn't boot at all. I did
> the "system restore wizard" (which didn't really seem to do anything at all)
> but I'm booted up again. Still, it does not ask for my password when waking
> up from (although it did when I started.) I am a bit afraid to shut down
> again!
>
> The account IS password protected, and in the power management settings, the
> option to ask for password after sleep/hibernate is indeed selected.
>
> What is going on?
>
> And (as a side note) what the heck is going on with this forum - I had the
> darndest time posting my question at all...

lukeall

Re: Won't ask for password when waking up from hibernation.

I've got a Compaq CQ60 with Vista Home Premium which is only a few
months old. I've noticed the same thing and am perplexed that such a
security issue is danlging around without serious attention from
Microsoft and HP.

What I found is that if I:
1. tell the laptop to go to hibernate
2. shut the lid
3. come back later and push the power button to resume from
hibernation
4. that the desktop appears without prompting me for a password.

I experimented and discovered that if I shut the lid before the
hibernation process completes, the system will not prompt for a
password. If I wait until the system completes the entire hibernation
process, and THEN shut the lid, it always asks for a password when
resuming.

Hope that helps anyone who still is perplxed by this. Then again,
knowing Microsoft, this probably only addresses the problem in some
scenarios and I'll be eating crow in a few days when it happens again!
Yum, my favorite: crow.

--
lukeall
lukeall's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lukeall.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

JarasM

Re: Won't ask for password when waking up from hibernation.
You may be onto something, this seems to be the case. Still - wasn't Vista
supposed to be secure? It's like the passwords in Windows 98, you just click
Cancel to log in. The issue IS serious in my opinion.

"lukeall" wrote:

> I've got a Compaq CQ60 with Vista Home Premium which is only a few
> months old. I've noticed the same thing and am perplexed that such a
> security issue is danlging around without serious attention from
> Microsoft and HP.
>
> What I found is that if I:
> 1. tell the laptop to go to hibernate
> 2. shut the lid
> 3. come back later and push the power button to resume from
> hibernation
> 4. that the desktop appears without prompting me for a password.
>
> I experimented and discovered that if I shut the lid before the
> hibernation process completes, the system will not prompt for a
> password. If I wait until the system completes the entire hibernation
> process, and THEN shut the lid, it always asks for a password when
> resuming.
>
> Hope that helps anyone who still is perplxed by this. Then again,
> knowing Microsoft, this probably only addresses the problem in some
> scenarios and I'll be eating crow in a few days when it happens again!
> Yum, my favorite: crow.
>

> --
> lukeall
> lukeall's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lukeall.htm