Admin account can't save where it wants?

=?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

Admin account can't save where it wants?
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could answer me a question, please.

Today I downloaded something and tried to save it somewhere in the program
files folder to which a message appeared telling me that I don't have
permission to save the fiile there.

I only have 1 user account on my pc and it's an admin account so I have no
idea what's happening. Does anyone know?

Also my media player keeps skipping at the end of each song also which is a
mystery, it does it with songs ripped from CDs and mp3, does anyone know what
could be wrong with this? I know that isn't an admin / password question but
I thought I'd slip it in anyway!

My PC is new with decent specs so i don't think it's a hardware issue.

Any help would be appretiated!

Thanks,

Ryan

BrianW

Re: Admin account can't save where it wants?
Vista/IE is not going to be happy to save something you are downloading into
Program Files. I think you can class this as, "feature, not bug". Think
about it.

Nevertheless, you should be able to use Windows Explorer to go pretty much
anywhere in Program Files. And, of course, copy a file into that area.

Generally, even if you are operating from an administrator account, you are,
nevertheless, operating programs, like Internet Explorer, in user mode.
Again, "feature, not a bug".

My own inclination with a personal computer not logging onto a domain would
be to create two accounts, one an adminstrator with a password and the other
a user, and then operate the computer as the user. You will actually get
fewer UAC prompts that way, and, generally, they will make more sense.

I have no idea why Media Player would "skip".

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could answer me a question, please.
>
> Today I downloaded something and tried to save it somewhere in the program
> files folder to which a message appeared telling me that I don't have
> permission to save the fiile there.
>
> I only have 1 user account on my pc and it's an admin account so I have no
> idea what's happening. Does anyone know?
>
> Also my media player keeps skipping at the end of each song also which is
> mystery, it does it with songs ripped from CDs and mp3, does anyone know
> what
> could be wrong with this? I know that isn't an admin / password question
> but
> I thought I'd slip it in anyway!
>
> My PC is new with decent specs so i don't think it's a hardware issue.
>
> Any help would be appretiated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Admin account can't save where it wants?
This is due to the new security model for Vista. Download the file to the
Desktop and then use Windows Explorer to move it to wherever you wish.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could answer me a question, please.
>
> Today I downloaded something and tried to save it somewhere in the program
> files folder to which a message appeared telling me that I don't have
> permission to save the fiile there.
>
> I only have 1 user account on my pc and it's an admin account so I have no
> idea what's happening. Does anyone know?
>
> Also my media player keeps skipping at the end of each song also which is
> mystery, it does it with songs ripped from CDs and mp3, does anyone know
> what
> could be wrong with this? I know that isn't an admin / password question
> but
> I thought I'd slip it in anyway!
>
> My PC is new with decent specs so i don't think it's a hardware issue.
>
> Any help would be appretiated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

Kerry Brown

Re: Admin account can't save where it wants?
The NTFS permissions on Program Files are changed from previous versions of
Windows. They can be changed back but it will defeat much of the security in
Vista. Save the downloads somewhere else.

Is your new computer a Dell? Check with Dell support if it is. They have a
registry fix for the sound issue. I don't know what the fix is. Both people
that told me about it said Dell fixed it for them by remote support.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User