How to make a standard profile w/ Default User

Michelle

How to make a standard profile w/ Default User
I am trying to determine how to make a default user profile in Vista like we
could do in XP.

After reading several posts, I have found where we can copy the profiles
over but most mention another step in the registery and one person stated
this was not a good idea.

Can someone spell out how to completely set up a default user profile after
we have it setup as the administrator account?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: How to make a standard profile w/ Default User
Hello Michelle,
The only supported method is via the copyprofile in your unattend.
When you use sysprep this gets copied to the default profile.
From the Windows AIK documentation
CopyProfileUse the following steps to use CopyProfile to set customized
user profiles:
Log on as a user whose profile you can customize (for example, the
built-in-administrator account).
Customize the desired user profile settings.
Set CopyProfile to true in the Unattend.xml file that you will use with
Sysprep in the next step.
Run sysprep /generalize unattend:unattend.xml to copy the customized user
profile settings over the default user profile.
All subsequent user accounts that are created will have the customizations
that you have set. For details about Sysprep, see the Sysprep Technical
Reference in the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) User's
Guide. (Opk.chm).
This setting does not copy the built-in administrator
profile unless the built-in administrator is the currently logged-on user.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >From: =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?= <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com>
| >Subject: How to make a standard profile w/ Default User
| >Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 17:31:01 -0800
| >Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords

| >I am trying to determine how to make a default user profile in Vista
like we
| >could do in XP.
| >
| >After reading several posts, I have found where we can copy the profiles
| >over but most mention another step in the registery and one person
stated
| >this was not a good idea.
| >
| >Can someone spell out how to completely set up a default user profile
after
| >we have it setup as the administrator account?
| >
| >Any help would be appreciated.
| >
| >Thanks.

Niatross

RE: How to make a standard profile w/ Default User
Darrell,

This is a "shrink-wrapped" reply. Let's let the cat out of the bag and tell
Michelle of the nighmares of using "copyprofile".

Michele,

"Copyprofile" does not transfer all customizations to the "Default" profile.
It transfers some customizations, but not all.

Darrel,

I wish Microsoft would post a KB article on the issues concerning
"copyprofile". Microsoft has a problem and doesn't want to admit it
"publicly" when it comes to "copyprofile" and the customized user settings
that are not transferred to the "Default" profile. IT Admins spend too much
time trying to figure out what settings will be transferred/copied to the
"Default" profile. Copyprofile is not worth the power to blow up.

Thanks, Niatross

---------------------------------------
""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello Michelle,
> The only supported method is via the copyprofile in your unattend.
> When you use sysprep this gets copied to the default profile.
> From the Windows AIK documentation
> CopyProfileUse the following steps to use CopyProfile to set customized
> user profiles:
> Log on as a user whose profile you can customize (for example, the
> built-in-administrator account).
> Customize the desired user profile settings.
> Set CopyProfile to true in the Unattend.xml file that you will use with
> Sysprep in the next step.
> Run sysprep /generalize unattend:unattend.xml to copy the customized user
> profile settings over the default user profile.
> All subsequent user accounts that are created will have the customizations
> that you have set. For details about Sysprep, see the Sysprep Technical
> Reference in the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) User's
> Guide. (Opk.chm).
> This setting does not copy the built-in administrator
> profile unless the built-in administrator is the currently logged-on user.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> | >From: =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?= <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | >Subject: How to make a standard profile w/ Default User
> | >Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 17:31:01 -0800
> | >Newsgroups:
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords
> | >
> | >I am trying to determine how to make a default user profile in Vista
> like we
> | >could do in XP.
> | >
> | >After reading several posts, I have found where we can copy the profiles
> | >over but most mention another step in the registery and one person
> stated
> | >this was not a good idea.
> | >
> | >Can someone spell out how to completely set up a default user profile
> after
> | >we have it setup as the administrator account?
> | >
> | >Any help would be appreciated.
> | >
> | >Thanks.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: How to make a standard profile w/ Default User
Hello Niatross,

What setting are not transferred or rather what settings removed or reset?
Please list all the settings that are reset or changed as a result of using
copyprofile that concern you.

You can use this blog as well which points to other additional
configuration that can be done to the default user profile.
http://blogs.technet.com/deploymentg...figuring-defau
lt-user-and-computer-settings-for-windows-image-deployment.aspx

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
> [...]
user
| >> profile settings over the default user profile.
| >> All subsequent user accounts that are created will have the
customizations
| >> that you have set. For details about Sysprep, see the Sysprep
Technical
| >> Reference in the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) User's
| >> Guide. (Opk.chm).
| >> This setting does not copy the built-in administrator
| >> profile unless the built-in administrator is the currently logged-on
user.

| >> Thanks,
| >> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
| >>
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
| >> --------------------
| >> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords

Niatross

RE: How to make a standard profile w/ Default User
Let's start out with this one: StartMenuInit.

There are other settings that I will not get into that "copyprofile" will
not copy over to the "Default" profile. I have been performing desktop
deployment for 14 years. "Copyprofile" has issues.

The "rock solid" method to performing custom deployments in regards to the
"Default" profile is to load the "Default" user hive, make the custom
changes, and unload the hive.

Thanks, Niatross

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello Niatross,
>
> What setting are not transferred or rather what settings removed or reset?
> Please list all the settings that are reset or changed as a result of using
> copyprofile that concern you.
>

> You can use this blog as well which points to other additional
> configuration that can be done to the default user profile.
> http://blogs.technet.com/deploymentg...figuring-defau
> lt-user-and-computer-settings-for-windows-image-deployment.aspx
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> | >From: =?Utf-8?B?TmlhdHJvc3M=?= <Niatross@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | >Subject: RE: How to make a standard profile w/ Default User
> | >Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:14:00 -0800
> | >Newsgroups:
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords
> | >
> | >Darrell,
> | >
> | >This is a "shrink-wrapped" reply. Let's let the cat out of the bag and
> tell
> | >Michelle of the nighmares of using "copyprofile".
> | >
> | >Michele,
> | >
> | >"Copyprofile" does not transfer all customizations to the "Default"
> profile.
> | >It transfers some customizations, but not all.
> | >
> | >Darrel,
> | >
> | >I wish Microsoft would post a KB article on the issues concerning
> | >"copyprofile". Microsoft has a problem and doesn't want to admit it
> | >"publicly" when it comes to "copyprofile" and the customized user
> settings
> | >that are not transferred to the "Default" profile. IT Admins spend too
> much
> | >time trying to figure out what settings will be transferred/copied to
> the
> | >"Default" profile. Copyprofile is not worth the power to blow up.
> | >
> | >Thanks, Niatross
> | >
> | >---------------------------------------

> customized
> with
> user
> customizations
> Technical
> user.

> rights

> Vista

> profiles

> profile

iii_carlos

Re: How to make a standard profile w/ Default User

Hi Niatross,
Can you help me?
I am deploying Vista with SP2. it's fine.
However, I tried to use copyprofile set to true in my unattend.xml but
still the default users regional settings are not same with the one the
set.

The current location in my regional settings is changed. Also the
keyboard.

Would you mind to help in me in what is the best way to make
copyprofile to work.

--
iii_carlos
iii_carlos's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/109877.htm