Redirect "Documents" via GPO

Morph

Redirect "Documents" via GPO

Been searching for this unsuccessfully. We are merging (2) domains, and
within this process of moving our domain into the other we are trying to
figure out how to change the "Documents" path via GPO.

In the past 6 months we've migrated about 20 users to Vista. We've
found that the Documents folder is a bit picky in that when we redirect
it... have the target folder named Documents... or Vista does it for you
(which can result in some problems).
Currently I have set up the Documents folder on each computer by hand
and set it to \\servername\share\username\documents

But as we switch domains we need to modify this path, and instead of
walking around and doing it by hand for all users, we'd like to push it
out via GPO so they can go to any machine and have that folder
automatically redirected.
Our desktops are a mix of WinXPSP4 and VistaSP1, and our servers are
Win2003.

I've opened gpedit.msc on my Vista box, but I don't see a place where I
can simply go and input the new location.

Any ideas?

--
Morph
Mike Brannigan

Re: Redirect "Documents" via GPO
"Morph" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Been searching for this unsuccessfully. We are merging (2) domains, and
> within this process of moving our domain into the other we are trying to
> figure out how to change the "Documents" path via GPO.
>
> In the past 6 months we've migrated about 20 users to Vista. We've
> found that the Documents folder is a bit picky in that when we redirect
> it... have the target folder named Documents... or Vista does it for you
> (which can result in some problems).
> Currently I have set up the Documents folder on each computer by hand
> and set it to \\servername\share\username\documents
>
> But as we switch domains we need to modify this path, and instead of
> walking around and doing it by hand for all users, we'd like to push it
> out via GPO so they can go to any machine and have that folder
> automatically redirected.
> Our desktops are a mix of WinXPSP4 and VistaSP1, and our servers are
> Win2003.
>
> I've opened gpedit.msc on my Vista box, but I don't see a place where I
> can simply go and input the new location.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> Morph

Don't mess around with anything like folders on desktop that are actually a
link to a \\servername\share etc etc
Do it all via GPO using (in your Group Policy Management UI)
User Configuration ... Windows Settings ... Folder Redirection
This is all you need to redirect your folders to a share on a file server
for real roaming effect.

--

Mike Brannigan