Can't Remove ZIP File - Access Denied

=?Utf-8?B?V2hpdGVUaWdlckV5ZXM=?=

Can't Remove ZIP File - Access Denied
I read through posts here and have not found an easy solution to my own
problem.

I used BitDefender Antivirus and everyday it prompts me 10-15 times saying
the same file contains a virus. It is a ZIP file I downloaded years ago but
made it through the move from my xp box to my vista home premium box.

The path to the zip file is: Home > Documents > Installs > file.zip

When I go to delete it, I get prompted with a box saying "Are you sure.."
and I click OK. Then it says I need to confirm it... so I click "Continue".
Then UAC takes control of the computer and asks me again to confirm.. and I
do. Then I get prompted saying "You need permission to perform this action" -
I click "Try Again" and it keeps coming up over and over again.

After reading posts here, I tried right clicking on it and choosing
Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner and it says "Unable to display
current owner" - I select my username which is setup as an Administratory and
it prompts me again saying "Access Denied".

So in short, I can even claim ownership of the file.

Remember: None of this is being done in the "Program Files" folder or any
other system folder.

Michael

Re: Can't Remove ZIP File - Access Denied
Have you tried to delete the Installs directory? that might take the
file.zip with it.
(if there are other files there be sure to move them somewhere else first of
course)

Michael

"WhiteTigerEyes" <WhiteTigerEyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I read through posts here and have not found an easy solution to my own
> problem.
>
> I used BitDefender Antivirus and everyday it prompts me 10-15 times saying
> the same file contains a virus. It is a ZIP file I downloaded years ago
> but
> made it through the move from my xp box to my vista home premium box.
>
> The path to the zip file is: Home > Documents > Installs > file.zip
>
> When I go to delete it, I get prompted with a box saying "Are you sure.."
> and I click OK. Then it says I need to confirm it... so I click
> "Continue".
> Then UAC takes control of the computer and asks me again to confirm.. and
> do. Then I get prompted saying "You need permission to perform this
> action" -
> I click "Try Again" and it keeps coming up over and over again.
>
> After reading posts here, I tried right clicking on it and choosing
> Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner and it says "Unable to display
> current owner" - I select my username which is setup as an Administratory
> and
> it prompts me again saying "Access Denied".
>
> So in short, I can even claim ownership of the file.
>
> Remember: None of this is being done in the "Program Files" folder or any
> other system folder.

=?Utf-8?B?V2hpdGVUaWdlckV5ZXM=?=

Re: Can't Remove ZIP File - Access Denied
It didn't work. I selected all files to move to a new folder and only two
files were not transferrable.. the zip file and another one. When I tried to
remove the Installs folder (which I have ownership over) it tells me the same
thing... Access Denied.

This is getting dumb.

"Michael" wrote:

> Have you tried to delete the Installs directory? that might take the
> file.zip with it.
> (if there are other files there be sure to move them somewhere else first of
> course)
>
> Michael
>
> "WhiteTigerEyes" <WhiteTigerEyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I read through posts here and have not found an easy solution to my own
> > problem.
> >
> > I used BitDefender Antivirus and everyday it prompts me 10-15 times saying
> > the same file contains a virus. It is a ZIP file I downloaded years ago
> > but
> > made it through the move from my xp box to my vista home premium box.
> >
> > The path to the zip file is: Home > Documents > Installs > file.zip
> >
> > When I go to delete it, I get prompted with a box saying "Are you sure.."
> > and I click OK. Then it says I need to confirm it... so I click
> > "Continue".
> > Then UAC takes control of the computer and asks me again to confirm.. and
> > do. Then I get prompted saying "You need permission to perform this
> > action" -
> > I click "Try Again" and it keeps coming up over and over again.
> >
> > After reading posts here, I tried right clicking on it and choosing
> > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner and it says "Unable to display
> > current owner" - I select my username which is setup as an Administratory
> > and
> > it prompts me again saying "Access Denied".
> >
> > So in short, I can even claim ownership of the file.
> >
> > Remember: None of this is being done in the "Program Files" folder or any
> > other system folder.

Michael

Re: Can't Remove ZIP File - Access Denied
Boot from the Vista DVD
answer questions about time,location,language
run repair (lower left of screen)
run command prompt

you should be able to cd to the directory in question, and del the file.

Note: I don't have a file created by nobody with weird permissions (as far
as I know) so cannot actually test this.
Note that you are never asked for name/password so all of that must be being
bypassed in this mode.
If it works do please get back as someday I bet I will need to do this.

newsD345A94-9436-4512-9E35-F43B81CAFEE7@microsoft.com...