Locked Partition

steam03

Locked Partition

Hello, I'm new to this board and currently trying to look for a solution
to my problem
Hope experts/anyone can shed me some light.

- My computer has multiple partitions
- C: contains VISTA 32bit
- D: contains XP (on another HDD)
- E F G are just documents and files

- Under VISTA, there are user accounts for me and my roommate
- I'm the admin to the PC and was able to limit accessibility to
partition E to my VISTA account only and to VISTA OS only.
ie. my roommate cannot access to E drive and no XP user can access this
E drive either.

I encountered some issues recently and must reformat my C:. So the
question is, when I delete my VISTA and reinstall a fresh copy, will I
loose accessbility to drive E afterwards? (since the linkage from the
account before is now gone)

My VISTA is pretty corrupted at the moment (I think a lot of registry
files are gone after I used that check disk utility). VISTA is corrupted
such that I cannot log back into any account. But the files seem to be
there; it's just that registry are pretty screwed.

What can I do to "unlock" drive E now so XP can access it?

I have been searching for so long for a solution...thanks in advance

--
steam03
Salvador Manaois III

RE: Locked Partition
Boot with XP with administrator and take ownership of the E: root. Make sure
you propagate this to all child objects (folders/files). You can reset the
NTFS permission using XCACLS.exe.

How to use Xcacls.exe to modify NTFS permissions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318754

--
Salvador Manaois III
MCSE MCSA CEH MCITP | Enterprise/Server Admin