Locked Out Of Windows Vista Home Premium

smithj0195 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locked Out Of Windows Vista Home Premium
Oh I hope someone can help us. My question is in regards to a desktop purchased about six months ago through Dell and is running Windows Vista Home Premium. This is my mother's computer and she passed away unexpectedly last month. We had access to her computer after she passed, but not realizing that this would happen, during what must have been some automatic updates the computer restarted itself and is now at the blue screen that shows her user picture and under that is asking for a password. We have tried passwords that we knew her to use, without success. My mother stored all of her photos and such on this computer and we are terrifed to lose anything on the hard drive. We have been told that we or or someone we hire can come in and transfer the data to another hard drive and un-install windows, then re-install it and transfer back the data that was saved. First and formost we are afraid that we may still lose things in this process, for instance if she had things saved in folders outside of the my documents "tab", the repair person won't know what to look for, and this data would be lost. In addition to that, places like the Geek Squad want 299.00 to come out and do this. I keep thinking this must happen to people all the time. There must be a way around this, I mean what would you do if you just forgot your password? Please I hope someone has information on how to do this.
John Barnett MVP

Re: Locked Out Of Windows Vista Home Premium
You could try this:

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ )

John Barnett MVP