Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Redirect User Folders in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2008
Pat Garard
 

Posts: n/a
Redirect User Folders in Vista
G'Day All,

I will be installing Vista HP on a new PC next week.

During installation, I will create the Administrator account as required (can't
really do much else!).

Next, I would like to redirect ALL user data folders/files (Documents, Pictures
....) to drive D:.

I believe I need to alter the profiles for the Default User, and of course the
new Administrator a/c.

I do not have the faintest idea how this may be done - could someone please
advise?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2008
Brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista

Hello Pat,

This tutorial will help show you how to redirect the user folders. It
is not recommended that you try to redirect the main (user name) folder
though. It can cause to many problems if you do.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...-location.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Pat Garard;870244 Wrote:
> G'Day All,
>
> I will be installing Vista HP on a new PC next week.
>
> During installation, I will create the Administrator account as
> required (can't
> really do much else!).
>
> Next, I would like to redirect ALL user data folders/files (Documents,
> Pictures
> ....) to drive D:.
>
> I believe I need to alter the profiles for the Default User, and of
> course the
> new Administrator a/c.
>
> I do not have the faintest idea how this may be done - could someone
> please
> advise?
> --
> Regards,
> Pat Garard
> Melbourne, Australia
> _______________________



--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2008
Pat Garard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista
Hi again Shawn,

> is not recommended that you try to redirect the main (user name) folder


Please clarify - the usual day-to-day User (lots of files/docs), or the
principal Administrative a/c created during installation?

Thanks for your response,

Pat

"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:8ada6e30551a251f8f4498e51f2b6deb@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Hello Pat,
>
> This tutorial will help show you how to redirect the user folders. It
> is not recommended that you try to redirect the main (user name) folder
> though. It can cause to many problems if you do.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...-location.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> Pat Garard;870244 Wrote:
>> G'Day All,
>>
>> I will be installing Vista HP on a new PC next week.
>>
>> During installation, I will create the Administrator account as
>> required (can't
>> really do much else!).
>>
>> Next, I would like to redirect ALL user data folders/files (Documents,
>> Pictures
>> ....) to drive D:.
>>
>> I believe I need to alter the profiles for the Default User, and of
>> course the
>> new Administrator a/c.
>>
>> I do not have the faintest idea how this may be done - could someone
>> please
>> advise?
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Pat Garard
>> Melbourne, Australia
>> _______________________

>
>
> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*


--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2008
Brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista

Pat,

It would just be the main "C:\Users\(user name)" folder.


Pat Garard;870672 Wrote:
> Hi again Shawn,
> > > >
> > > is not recommended that you try to redirect the main (user name)

> > folder > >

>
> Please clarify - the usual day-to-day User (lots of files/docs), or
> the
> principal Administrative a/c created during installation?
>
> Thanks for your response,
>
> Pat
>
>



--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
Pat Garard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista
Ok Shawn - since I have not yet seen Vista, I was applying 'main' to the 'User
Name'.

You mean the root folder (to the folders that I want to redirect) should not
itself be redirected - right?

Cheers,

Pat

"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:2ae03a6556448ce585fde9cddfcb829a@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Pat,
>
> It would just be the main "C:\Users\(user name)" folder.
>
>
> Pat Garard;870672 Wrote:
>> Hi again Shawn,
>> > > >
>> > > is not recommended that you try to redirect the main (user name)
>> > folder > >

>>
>> Please clarify - the usual day-to-day User (lots of files/docs), or
>> the
>> principal Administrative a/c created during installation?
>>
>> Thanks for your response,
>>
>> Pat
>>
>>

>
>
> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*


--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
Richie Hardwick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista
"Pat Garard" <apgarard-bigpond:net:au> wrote:

>Ok Shawn - since I have not yet seen Vista, I was applying 'main' to the 'User
>Name'.
>
>You mean the root folder (to the folders that I want to redirect) should not
>itself be redirected - right?


I think he means the user folder with YOUR name on it... i.e., the
"main" user folder under c:\Users\.

Richie Hardwick
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
Brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista

Correct Pat. It is the main root folder with your user name on it as
Richie posted.

Shawn

Pat Garard;870729 Wrote:
> Ok Shawn - since I have not yet seen Vista, I was applying 'main' to the
> 'User
> Name'.
>
> You mean the root folder (to the folders that I want to redirect)
> should not
> itself be redirected - right?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pat
>
> "Brink" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:2ae03a6556448ce585fde9cddfcb829a@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Pat,
> > >
> > > It would just be the main "C:\Users\(user name)" folder.
> > >
> > >
> > > Pat Garard;870672 Wrote:> > > > >
> > > >> Hi again Shawn,
> > > >>
> > > >> Please clarify - the usual day-to-day User (lots of files/docs), or
> > > >> the
> > > >> principal Administrative a/c created during installation?
> > > >>
> > > >> Thanks for your response,
> > > >>
> > > >> Pat
> > > >>
> > > >>> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> > > ('Windows 7 Forums' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)) *and*

> > '*::Vista Forums::*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.* > >

>
> --
> Regards,
> Pat Garard
> Melbourne, Australia
> _______________________



--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
Pat Garard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista - THANK YOU!
Shawn & Richie - many thanks!

Pat

"Pat Garard" <apgarard-bigpond:net:au> wrote in message
news:OuEbAbvNJHA.4760@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Ok Shawn - since I have not yet seen Vista, I was applying 'main' to the 'User
> Name'.
>
> You mean the root folder (to the folders that I want to redirect) should not
> itself be redirected - right?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pat
>
> "Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> news:2ae03a6556448ce585fde9cddfcb829a@nntp-gateway.com...
>>
>> Pat,
>>
>> It would just be the main "C:\Users\(user name)" folder.
>>
>>
>> Pat Garard;870672 Wrote:
>>> Hi again Shawn,
>>> > > >
>>> > > is not recommended that you try to redirect the main (user name)
>>> > folder > >
>>>
>>> Please clarify - the usual day-to-day User (lots of files/docs), or
>>> the
>>> principal Administrative a/c created during installation?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response,
>>>
>>> Pat
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>> --
>> Brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
>> them.*
>> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
>> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
>> (http://www.vistax64.com)
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

>
> --
> Regards,
> Pat Garard
> Melbourne, Australia
> _______________________
>
>
>


--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2008
Brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista

You're welcome Pat.

Shawn

Pat Garard;870916 Wrote:
> Shawn & Richie - many thanks!
>
> Pat
>
> "Pat Garard" <apgarard-bigpond:net:au> wrote in message
> news:OuEbAbvNJHA.4760@xxxxxx> > >
> > > Ok Shawn - since I have not yet seen Vista, I was applying 'main' to

> > the 'User
> > > Name'.
> > >
> > > You mean the root folder (to the folders that I want to redirect)

> > should not
> > > itself be redirected - right?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Pat
> > >
> > > "Brink" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > news:2ae03a6556448ce585fde9cddfcb829a@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > > > >
> > > >>
> > > >> Pat,
> > > >>
> > > >> It would just be the main "C:\Users\(user name)" folder.
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> Pat Garard;870672 Wrote:
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> --
> > > >> Brink
> > > >>
> > > >> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > >> them.*
> > > >> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> > > >> ('Windows 7 Forums' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)) *and* '*::Vista
> > > Forums::*'
> > > >> (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > >> *Please post feedback to help others.*> > > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Pat Garard
> > > Melbourne, Australia
> > > _______________________
> > >
> > >
> > > > >

>
> --
> Regards,
> Pat Garard
> Melbourne, Australia
> _______________________



--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2008
Harvey Brydon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Redirect User Folders in Vista
The messages provided (including the tutorial) I don't believe answer the
questions properly. My understanding is that Pat is asking how to create
usernames which are not on the C: drive at all. The answers provided showed
how to move some of the directories off of the C:\users\<username> hierarchy
either in part or by use of shortcuts. These techniques still require the
system to "think" that home base is back on C:\users. I went through this
myself successfully (including messing it up sufficient to reload from
media).

The solution:
- Create a new "disposable" Administrator account.
- Login to it, go to registry editor (regedit or regedt32), drill down to
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- Edit the ProfilesDirectory key, changing its value from "C:\Users" to
"D:\" (note that there is no trailing "\" on the old value, there is on the
new one)
- Create all the new usernames you wish. When you login to each of them the
first time, their entire directory structure will be created under D:\
There will be no trace of C:\Users references for that username (except for
shared data) and you won't need to redirect anything from C:\Users.

Optional:
- Create a new Administrator account.
- Logout of the "disposable" account, login to the new account and delete
the "disposable" one and all of its files.

Note that this does not completely remove the need for the C:\Users
directory structure. The default user wants to live there and shared files
want to live there as well.

DANGER:
Also note that the above only affects new accounts created after the
registry change. If you attempt to "fix up" an existing username by moving
files and changing pointers in the registry, you stand a considerable chance
of messing up the username and getting the dreaded message "The User Profile
Service service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded". Game
over for that username (as far as I have been able to determine).


"Pat Garard" <apgarard-bigpond:net:au> wrote in message
news:%23Vk4M0nNJHA.5024@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> G'Day All,
>
> I will be installing Vista HP on a new PC next week.
>
> During installation, I will create the Administrator account as required
> (can't really do much else!).
>
> Next, I would like to redirect ALL user data folders/files (Documents,
> Pictures ...) to drive D:.
>
> I believe I need to alter the profiles for the Default User, and of course
> the new Administrator a/c.
>
> I do not have the faintest idea how this may be done - could someone
> please advise?
> --
> Regards,
> Pat Garard
> Melbourne, Australia
> _______________________


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving User Folders Corrupts Desktop, Favorites, Contacts and Documents Folders fletch microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 11-03-2007 21:28
Article ID: 930090 A user who has Contributor permissions for a shared folder in Windows Vista can delete files and folders that have been created by other users KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
redirect user folder Nicolas microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 3 10-04-2007 21:36
All User Folders Duplicated inside one of the User Folders Mike microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 6 08-22-2007 20:22
changing user folders location in Vista Shidewa microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 07-28-2007 01:46




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:05.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120