Use built-in administrator account or create new one?

Luc

Use built-in administrator account or create new one?
If I understand it correctly, for security reasons it's best to have a
separate administrator account and a standard user account, even on one-user
PCs (as in my case). However, which of the following two is the better option:

1. Enable the built-in administrator account and "downgrade" the account
that was created when Vista was installed to that of a standard user;

2. Continue using the administrator account that was created when installing
Vista, create a separate standard user account and leave the built-in
administrator account alone.

Thanks for any advice on pros and cons for any option (unless it's equally
safe -- convenient it is for sure -- to have just one account if there's only
one user).
--
Luc
Brink

Re: Use built-in administrator account or create new one?

Hi Luc,

It's actually better to do both. Create another administrator account
(normal default or the built-in one) to use as a backup in case you need
to repair your other default administrator account.

It is more convenient to use just one of the administrator accounts,
but it's just not as restricted as in a Standard account.

For better security, you can create a Standard account and use it for
everyday non-administrative tasks.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Luc

Re: Use built-in administrator account or create new one?
Thanks Shawn:

Actually, I hadn't thought of that possibility. I'll follow your advice and
have two administrator accounts (a standard account being a bit too
restrictive).

Regards.
--
Luc

"Brink" wrote:

> Hi Luc,
>
> It's actually better to do both. Create another administrator account
> (normal default or the built-in one) to use as a backup in case you need
> to repair your other default administrator account.
>
> It is more convenient to use just one of the administrator accounts,
> but it's just not as restricted as in a Standard account.
>
> For better security, you can create a Standard account and use it for
> everyday non-administrative tasks.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> Luc;857192 Wrote:
> > If I understand it correctly, for security reasons it's best to have a
> > separate administrator account and a standard user account, even on
> > one-user
> > PCs (as in my case). However, which of the following two is the better
> > option:
> >
> > 1. Enable the built-in administrator account and "downgrade" the
> > account
> > that was created when Vista was installed to that of a standard user;
> >
> > 2. Continue using the administrator account that was created when
> > installing
> > Vista, create a separate standard user account and leave the built-in
> > administrator account alone.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice on pros and cons for any option (unless it's
> > equally
> > safe -- convenient it is for sure -- to have just one account if
> > there's only
> > one user).
> > --
> > Luc

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

Brink

Re: Use built-in administrator account or create new one?

Your welcome Luc.

Luc;857214 Wrote:
> Thanks Shawn:
>
> Actually, I hadn't thought of that possibility. I'll follow your advice
> and
> have two administrator accounts (a standard account being a bit too
> restrictive).
>
> Regards.
> --
> Luc
>

> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Hi Luc,
> > >
> > > It's actually better to do both. Create another administrator account
> > > (normal default or the built-in one) to use as a backup in case you

> > need
> > > to repair your other default administrator account.
> > >
> > > It is more convenient to use just one of the administrator accounts,
> > > but it's just not as restricted as in a Standard account.
> > >
> > > For better security, you can create a Standard account and use it for
> > > everyday non-administrative tasks.
> > >

> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Shawn

> > > have a
> > > better

> > > user;

> > > built-in

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
jeyessh

Re: Use built-in administrator account or create new one?

Hey Shawn,
I have done this stupid mistake!
I Downgraded the accnt which was created when Vista and made every
step to ask for Admin psswrd and turned on UAC was installed and was
using my Built-in administrator accnt for My purposes. I went into d cmd
prompt and typed tht"net users Administartor /active:no" command without
knowing its effects!
Now my Adminstrator accnt is hidden!
When i log on to my std accnt i cant open d cmd in Run as
administrator mode!
It gives the UAC screen and asks for conformation and d ok button is
not highlighted(As i made tht accnt to be std and turned on UAC). NOw i
want my Admin accnt back!!
Have any solutions???

Relying greatly upon You!
With Regards
Ashok!

--
jeyessh

jeyessh;861803 Wrote:
> Hey Shawn,
> I have done this stupid mistake!
> I Downgraded the accnt which was created when Vista and made every step
> to ask for Admin psswrd and turned on UAC was installed and was using my
> Built-in administrator accnt for My purposes. I went into d cmd prompt
> and typed tht"net users Administartor /active:no" command without
> knowing its effects!
> Now my Adminstrator accnt is hidden!
> When i log on to my std accnt i cant open d cmd in Run as administrator
> mode!
> It gives the UAC screen and asks for conformation and d ok button is
> not highlighted(As i made tht accnt to be std and turned on UAC). NOw i
> want my Admin accnt back!!
> Have any solutions???
>

> Relying greatly upon You!
> With Regards
> Ashok!

Hi Ashok,

Since you do not have another administrator account, you might see if
you can boot into '*Safe Mode*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/123496-safe-mode.html) to see if it
be in the built-in Administrator account so that you can enable it
again.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn