Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up

Gaurav

Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
I have an installation package (.msi) that is sent out thte users. This .msi
creates a shortcut on the desktop and places entries under Start - Programs.
On Windows Vista, the admin installs this .msi and logs off.

Now the non-admin user logs in, but he doesn't see the shortcut and the item
under Start - Programs.
The non-admin user can browse to Program Files\xxx and create a shortcut of
the .exe on the desktop, but this isn't the best way.

Are there any special settings in Vista that allow the non-admin user to see
the entries under Start - Programs and the shortcut on the desktop, for a
program that was installed by the admin?

Jon Wallace

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
Hi,

I think I answered this for you in vista.security too...

---

What's happening here is your installation package (MSI) is using the
personal start menu location instead of the common start menu location more
than likely. So it's putting the start menu items into the admin's profile.

You need to store your start menu items in the common profile
(C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) for example on Vista.

Hope this helps,
Jon

http://www.insidetheregistry.com

---

"Gaurav" <gauravbajaj25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an installation package (.msi) that is sent out thte users. This
>.msi creates a shortcut on the desktop and places entries under Start -
>Programs.
> On Windows Vista, the admin installs this .msi and logs off.
>
> Now the non-admin user logs in, but he doesn't see the shortcut and the
> item under Start - Programs.
> The non-admin user can browse to Program Files\xxx and create a shortcut
> of the .exe on the desktop, but this isn't the best way.
>
> Are there any special settings in Vista that allow the non-admin user to
> see the entries under Start - Programs and the shortcut on the desktop,
> for a program that was installed by the admin?

JJL

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
So how does one resolve this problem with retail applications? I've
installed several games that are not creating shortcuts.

"Jon Wallace" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I answered this for you in vista.security too...
>
> ---
>
> What's happening here is your installation package (MSI) is using the
> personal start menu location instead of the common start menu location more
> than likely. So it's putting the start menu items into the admin's profile.
>
> You need to store your start menu items in the common profile
> (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) for example on Vista.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jon
>
> http://www.insidetheregistry.com
>
> ---
>
> "Gaurav" <gauravbajaj25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have an installation package (.msi) that is sent out thte users. This
> >.msi creates a shortcut on the desktop and places entries under Start -
> >Programs.
> > On Windows Vista, the admin installs this .msi and logs off.
> >
> > Now the non-admin user logs in, but he doesn't see the shortcut and the
> > item under Start - Programs.
> > The non-admin user can browse to Program Files\xxx and create a shortcut
> > of the .exe on the desktop, but this isn't the best way.
> >
> > Are there any special settings in Vista that allow the non-admin user to
> > see the entries under Start - Programs and the shortcut on the desktop,
> > for a program that was installed by the admin?

DonQ

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:11:01 -0800, JJL <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>So how does one resolve this problem with retail applications? I've
>installed several games that are not creating shortcuts.

Make your OWN shortcuts. Right-click on the .EXE file and choose Send
To Desktop, or Pin to Start Menu.

Don
JJL

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
So there's no way to have it install the traditional desktop shortcuts? The
Game Explorer doesn't get everything, and creating my own icons is a tedious
pain. For example, I installed a game on XP and I get a shortcut menu for it
including the game, readme, uninstall, and the game editor. The readme and
the game editor don't show up in Game Explorer. I find it unfortunate that
Windows doesn't give their users the freedom to not be forced into their
methods.

"DonQ" wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:11:01 -0800, JJL <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >So how does one resolve this problem with retail applications? I've
> >installed several games that are not creating shortcuts.

> Make your OWN shortcuts. Right-click on the .EXE file and choose Send
> To Desktop, or Pin to Start Menu.
>
> Don

JJL

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
Btw, I am well aware I can create my own shortcuts, as well as how to do
them. I just find this very tedious, and would like the shortcuts that come
with the game so that I can do with them as I see fit.

"DonQ" wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:11:01 -0800, JJL <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >So how does one resolve this problem with retail applications? I've
> >installed several games that are not creating shortcuts.

> Make your OWN shortcuts. Right-click on the .EXE file and choose Send
> To Desktop, or Pin to Start Menu.
>
> Don

DonQ

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 14:47:01 -0800, JJL <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>So there's no way to have it install the traditional desktop shortcuts? The
>Game Explorer doesn't get everything, and creating my own icons is a tedious
>pain.

Your gripe isn't with MS, but with the game software writers. There
is no guarantee that something that works as you want it to in XP will
work the same in Vista.

Create the shortcuts on your own (it's not as if there are hundreds to
create!) and be happy that the games still work.

Don
JJL

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
I disagree. My gripe is with MS, since I can't disable the Game Explorer
like I want. If I could do this, then the games would install as they did in
XP, with the traditional folder and shortcuts, instead of creating a bunch of
extra work for myself.

And that seems like a ridiculous notion, "be happy that the game still
works." I don't see how something functioning exactly the way it should
function is a reason to be happy. Next time, I'd appreciate a simple "Yes it
can be done" or "No it can't be done" instead of a condescending response.

"DonQ" wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 14:47:01 -0800, JJL <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >So there's no way to have it install the traditional desktop shortcuts? The
> >Game Explorer doesn't get everything, and creating my own icons is a tedious
> >pain.

> Your gripe isn't with MS, but with the game software writers. There
> is no guarantee that something that works as you want it to in XP will
> work the same in Vista.
>
> Create the shortcuts on your own (it's not as if there are hundreds to
> create!) and be happy that the games still work.
>
> Don

DonQ

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:42:01 -0800, JJL <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Next time, I'd appreciate a simple "Yes it can be done" or "No it can't
>be done" instead of a condescending response.

Beggars can't be choosers.

How does "bite me" sit with you?

Don
JJL

Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
I would say it is about as useful as the other stuff you've posted so far.
Oh, and classy. Very classy.