Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!

news.microsoft.com

Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!
I posted this on several Vista groups in desperation. I can't get control
of my own computer although I'm the only user. I can't understand the
complicated directions given to OWN my own PC so I can delete unwanted files
downloaded to it in error from a backup external drive.

I'm the admin and only user on my Vista comp and can't delete old files I no
longer want. How do I delete these unwanted files and why don't I have
complete control over my own PC? How do I disable all these unwanted
"safety" features in control of my PC? I have no password and there is one
account - mine.

How do I get rid of the annoying popup windows asking for permission to do
almost everything? It's becoming torture using this Vista machine but I'm
stuck with Vista until the warranty runs out.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!! How the hell do I get control away from Windows/MS and OWN
my own machine?

oscar

RE: Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!

Sometimes just one or two corrupted files in a large folder can prevent the
Administrator from taking Full Control of the entire folder and its contents,
thus negating the Parent Inheritance protocol that Vista UAC normally
follows.

Here’s some ideas to help gain control of your folders and files that are
giving you trouble:

1) turn off UAC and try to copy or move folders.
2) run DOS as administrator and try to copy or delete from DOS command line.
3) If your troubled folders or files are in a standard user account,
transfer those files or folders from Standard users account to Administrator
account and then try to take Full Control as the logged-in Administrator. You
might need to set up sharing permissions, also. Right click folder,
Properties to get to permissions and security settings.
4) Google or Yahoo! for 3rd party software that will help you to gain Full
Control of a folder or file.
5) Exhaust all options by setting parameters in Properties > Security or
Properties > Sharing.

Sometimes Vista’s UAC gets confused and won’t allow the current
Administrator to have Full Control on certain files/folders. Depending on the
origin of the folders and files or how Vista’s built-in administrators are
protecting those files or folders, each problem of gaining permissions and
Full Control seems to call for a different “workaround.”

Last words: there really is no way of gettng around the fact that if a user
wants to master the full potential of Vista, such as UAC, that user will have
to purchase a thick book and take some time to learn Vista. In the long run,
it will be more productive and less frustrating for the Vista user.

Best of luck…

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"news.microsoft.com" wrote:

> I posted this on several Vista groups in desperation. I can't get control
> of my own computer although I'm the only user. I can't understand the
> complicated directions given to OWN my own PC so I can delete unwanted files
> downloaded to it in error from a backup external drive.
>
> I'm the admin and only user on my Vista comp and can't delete old files I no
> longer want. How do I delete these unwanted files and why don't I have
> complete control over my own PC? How do I disable all these unwanted
> "safety" features in control of my PC? I have no password and there is one
> account - mine.
>
> How do I get rid of the annoying popup windows asking for permission to do
> almost everything? It's becoming torture using this Vista machine but I'm
> stuck with Vista until the warranty runs out.
>
> PLEASE!!!!!!!!! How the hell do I get control away from Windows/MS and OWN
> my own machine?

news.microsoft.com

Re: Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!
This worked:

You can turn off that security feature if it bothers you. Click on the link
and read up on how to do it.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/1...windows-vista/

A friend sent it to me the other night. I had no idea how to run DOS as the
administrator or how to copy and delete that way. I have no knowledge how to
change the unwanted files in question from a user to Admin' account. I
purchased a Vista book and it doesn't seem to cover most of my questions.

"oscar" <oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> files
>> downloaded to it in error from a backup external drive.
>>
>> I'm the admin and only user on my Vista comp and can't delete old files I
>> no
>> longer want. How do I delete these unwanted files and why don't I have
>> complete control over my own PC? How do I disable all these unwanted
>> "safety" features in control of my PC? I have no password and there is
>> one
>> account - mine.
>>
>> How do I get rid of the annoying popup windows asking for permission to
>> do
>> almost everything? It's becoming torture using this Vista machine but
>> I'm
>> stuck with Vista until the warranty runs out.
>>
>> PLEASE!!!!!!!!! How the hell do I get control away from Windows/MS and

LadyDaisy

RE: Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!
Disable the UAC which is the control over admin, etc. I was forced to.
After buying VISTA, I no longer had control of my own computer. I could not
even delete and organize my own favorites. I got so sick of access denied
since I'm an old user from before windows I disabled the whole thing. Now I
own my OWN computer again.

"news.microsoft.com" wrote:

> I posted this on several Vista groups in desperation. I can't get control
> of my own computer although I'm the only user. I can't understand the
> complicated directions given to OWN my own PC so I can delete unwanted files
> downloaded to it in error from a backup external drive.
>
> I'm the admin and only user on my Vista comp and can't delete old files I no
> longer want. How do I delete these unwanted files and why don't I have
> complete control over my own PC? How do I disable all these unwanted
> "safety" features in control of my PC? I have no password and there is one
> account - mine.
>
> How do I get rid of the annoying popup windows asking for permission to do
> almost everything? It's becoming torture using this Vista machine but I'm
> stuck with Vista until the warranty runs out.
>
> PLEASE!!!!!!!!! How the hell do I get control away from Windows/MS and OWN
> my own machine?

mjecstorer

RE: Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!

This problem is ridiculous!!
I can't access files on my own computer.
Turning off UAC had no effect whatsoever
Snidley W.

mjecstorer <mjecstorer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This problem is ridiculous!!
>I can't access files on my own computer.
>Turning off UAC had no effect whatsoever

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
mjecstorer

Re: Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!
Firstly, I apologise for not asking a specific question.
I am trying to find out how to access files and folders on my computer, when
I read the thread of this topic I felt the question had already been asked,
and no appropriate solution given.
I am running Vista Ultimate. I have 5 hard drives. When I try to access
files on my Local disc E, a pop-up says I do not currently have permission to
access the file, click continue to gain access, I click continue, then a
pop-up says you have been denied access to the file.
I am the only user of MY computer, I am the administrator, I have turned off
UAC, I have set up an administrator account, but still can't access MY files
and folders. Frustration is too weak a word for it.
I am thinking of going back to XP.
mjecstorer

Re: Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!
Finally... I got a solution from Jimmy Brush.
This was in the security section(microsoft.public.windows.vista.security)

>> This is a common problem with files that you created from another
>> installation of Windows.
>>
>> This has to do with the security settings that Windows XP applied to
>> these files. Since they were created from your user account in XP,
>> they do not apply to your user account in Vista, and so you are denied
>> access in some circumstances.
>>
>> To fix this, you can follow these steps:
>>
>> - Click Start
>> - Type: cmd
>> - Right-click cmd when it appears
>> - Click Run As Administrator
>> - Change location to the folder you need access to (e.g. cd e:\folder)
>> - Type: takeown /F . /R /A /D Y > NUL
>> - Type: icacls . /grant USEROI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q
>> (Where USER is your username - you will only have access from your
>> XP and Vista machine in this case)
>> (Or, replace USER with Users if you want anyone [on any computer
>> your hard drive is plugged into] to have full access to these files)
>>
>> - JB

Jai

RE: Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!
I just want to delete vista from my computer...can anyone tell me how to get
rid of this terrible operating system.

"news.microsoft.com" wrote:

> I posted this on several Vista groups in desperation. I can't get control
> of my own computer although I'm the only user. I can't understand the
> complicated directions given to OWN my own PC so I can delete unwanted files
> downloaded to it in error from a backup external drive.
>
> I'm the admin and only user on my Vista comp and can't delete old files I no
> longer want. How do I delete these unwanted files and why don't I have
> complete control over my own PC? How do I disable all these unwanted
> "safety" features in control of my PC? I have no password and there is one
> account - mine.
>
> How do I get rid of the annoying popup windows asking for permission to do
> almost everything? It's becoming torture using this Vista machine but I'm
> stuck with Vista until the warranty runs out.
>
> PLEASE!!!!!!!!! How the hell do I get control away from Windows/MS and OWN
> my own machine?

mickaybersmom

RE: Can't delete files.... constant permission popups!
I went to circut city and purchased a new hard drive $45 and $89 for XP off
of ebay. I was the only way to avoid the headache.