Please help - printer/administrator problem

ibyprprty

Please help - printer/administrator problem

Please help me! I'm trying to install drivers for a new printer today
the HP 6310 all-in-one. Upon doing that it told me that it wasn't
compatible with Vista but I could click on a link to HP for a fix. I
did that.

It told me a code to put in on that section where you click cmd in the
search thing and then type in C:\ yada yada.....anyway, it wouldn't let
me do it because I got this message:

The FSUTIL utility requires that you have administrative privileges.

So I thought "uh oh" because quite frankly I'm the only one who uses my
computer and I'm the only one who has a password for my computer so umm
I'm the administrator. Just to be sure I went to the control panel and
clicked on users and sure enough it has me as the administrator.

With all of that said, how do I fix this problem so I can type in the
command I need to type in so hopefully my printer works with my
laptop????

Thanks all (and I really think I spend more time trying to figure out
how to fix things with my computer that are screwy cuz of vista then
anything else!!!)

Carey

--
ibyprprty
barman58

Re: Please help - printer/administrator problem

Hello Carey, welcome to the vista forums,arty:

Vista operates differently from earlier windows - It has proper
security,

an admin in vista operates as a standard user until they need to work
as admin, this is called elevation.

to do this in your case click on the start orb and type "cmd" into the
search bar (at the bottom of the start menu) you should then see CMD.EXE
on the list. right click on this and select "run as Administrator"
answer ok to the UAC prompt

this will open the command interface where you can enter the
instructions you need to ( you should see Administrator in the title bar
)

Stick with it, it gets easier I promise you

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
ibyprprty

Re: Please help - printer/administrator problem

Hey Barman,

Turns out I found a disk that came with the printer specifically for
Vista. So the printer is A-OK.

BUTTTT, I didn't want your informative post to seem like it wasn't
appreciated so I did exactly what you suggested and lo and behold at the
top of the CMD screen after doing what you said it says: Administrator
;-)

Thanks so much! It's nice to know that there are actually folks out
here who know how to fanagle through Vista...Makes life easier for us
folks that get frustrated with it!

Thanks again and I appreciated your response.

--
ibyprprty
barman58

Re: Please help - printer/administrator problem

Thanks carey,

glad you got things to work

btw that Right click "run as administrator" can be useful if you're
installing anything use it for the setup.exe and it will save a lot of
problems, eventually as new programs are written the will do it for us
(some do now).

If you're just starting out with Vista the tutorials here are well
worth spending the time to read

'Tutorials - Vista Forums' (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/)

Happy printing