UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?

Ramzy

UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?

I'm just wondering why people need to use the hidden Administrator
account (there is a tutorial somewhere on this website).

My question is -- Does disabling UAC give you full access and control
rights, or are you still limited?

I mean, i see tutorials telling people to right click programs and use
"Run as administrator", but i've never had a need to ever do that. Is it
because i've got UAC disabled, or is it something else?

--
Ramzy
barman58

Re: UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?

Hi ramzy,

The Built in hidden administrator in Vista is at a higher level than a
normal administrator but there are few practical differences or reasons
to use this account.

Turning off UAC will give the Admin User the rights they had In
previous windows editions (XP) with all the potential for problems that
causes.

On a correctly set-up system running with UAC enabled is the safest way
to run Vista and the UAC Pop-up acts as a useful reminder that the
action about to be performed may be unsafe or have a potential to cause
system damage.

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
sourpuss

Re: UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?

The problem with UAC as it is now, is that it pops up SO often, that it
is in danger of becoming meaningless to the user. The user begins to
simply click through the prompts as a matter of habit. Hopefully, that
will be rectified in the next OS.

--
sourpuss
barman58

Re: UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?

Hi sourpus,

unfortunately one of the problems is bad programming of applications by
the third party developers, the need to code programs for a standard
user was in the spec for XP so those developers who still code wrongly
and force vista into a UAC prompt that is not needed, have no real
excuse.

by the time Microsoft release the next OS, developers may have caught
on to what they should have been doing for a long time, so it will seem
that UAC has changed when it hasn't.

there are too many prompts I agree, and yes your familiarity point is
fully valid. hopefully as Vista becomes more popular () this will
lessen the problem

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
DevilsPGD

Re: UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?
In message <d809450ef6d6a8aef1084e8f028acddb@nntp-gateway.com> barman58
<guest@unknown-email.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>unfortunately one of the problems is bad programming of applications by
>the third party developers, the need to code programs for a standard
>user was in the spec for XP so those developers who still code wrongly
>and force vista into a UAC prompt that is not needed, have no real
>excuse.

Hey now, that's not fair to developers claiming that this whole spec
started in XP, that implies they had 5-7 years to adjust applications to
run without administrative privileges.

This actually goes right back to NT3.51 well into the 90s, developers
have had a *lot* longer then XP to figure out how to run as a limited
user.

DevilsPGD;847726 Wrote:
> In message <d809450ef6d6a8aef1084e8f028acddb@xxxxxx-gateway.com>
> barman58
> <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> was claimed to have wrote:
> > > >
> > >unfortunately one of the problems is bad programming of applications

> > by
> > >the third party developers, the need to code programs for a standard
> > >user was in the spec for XP so those developers who still code wrongly
> > >and force vista into a UAC prompt that is not needed, have no real
> > >excuse. > > Hey now, that's not fair to developers claiming that this whole spec

> started in XP, that implies they had 5-7 years to adjust applications
> run without administrative privileges.
>
> This actually goes right back to NT3.51 well into the 90s, developers
> have had a *lot* longer then XP to figure out how to run as a limited
> user.

LOL I Know I was trying to be nice even though had just spent time
helping someone who's DTP insisted on being an administrator one day one
day

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
sourpuss

Re: UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?

Hmm, food for thought. I did not know that

--
sourpuss
oscar

RE: UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?
Here's an instance where "run as adminisrator" makes sense:

The owner and sole user of a single computer has two accounts on Vista:
administrator account and standard user account. While running the standard
user account, the owner/single user may need to run an application such as
register edit. In the standard account the user can right click the reg edit
application and run the application with administrator privileges right from
the start.

Why have two accounts if you're the sole user of the computer? Having an
adminstrator account but working in a standard user account gives the
computer another layer of protection from bad software or malfeance activity
(such as a member of the family) from changing important OS files and
parameters.

I have been using the administrator account and standard user account scheme
for a year now. Critics complain that such a scheme is intrusive to the user
(too many mouse clicks?). But I have not had to reinstall Vista OS, the
registry or important applications since then.

Occassionally I will disable UAC as a workaround to delete confused folders
or files but then immediatley enable UAC afterwards.

"Run as administrator" has other applications but for many owners who are
single users "run as adminstrator isn't used very much if the owner/single
user is operating from an administrator account with full privileges.
--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"Ramzy" wrote:

> I'm just wondering why people need to use the hidden Administrator
> account (there is a tutorial somewhere on this website).
>
> My question is -- Does disabling UAC give you full access and control
> rights, or are you still limited?
>
> I mean, i see tutorials telling people to right click programs and use
> "Run as administrator", but i've never had a need to ever do that. Is it
> because i've got UAC disabled, or is it something else?
>

> --
> Ramzy

barman58

Re: UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?

Thank you for your informed comments oscar,

As a system administrator the norm is to have two accounts, one as a
standard user, and one as administrator, you run as a standard user for
your day to day tasks and for the odd admin task use "run as
administrator". If you have a lot of admin work to to you can log into
the administrator account, do the work required, and log out.

What Vista does is add a a degree of automation to this system of run
as administrator, and as before you can simply switch off UAC if you
need to do a lot of Admin work such as major upgrades.

what I have found is when you explain the reasoning behind the UAC to
new users they can understand the need for this system and use it
without problems.

The unfortunate thing is that a lot of experienced XP users have got
used to running in an admin mode when it is not required and potentially
dangerous. They quite rightly say that they know what they are doing and
ran XP like this for years without a virus or other problem. The point
is that UAC is not aimed at them but at the less experienced user who
may not be as safe.

I ran XP using the Two user system and would run vista in this way if
it was needed. UAC makes this unnecessary and I find that a gain and
makes my life easier.

I understand the frustration of users not disciplined in working this
way and the situation would be much improved if you didn't have to
invoke the UAC for programs where there is obviously no need. But only
the software developers can cure that one

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
miscak

Re: UAC disabled same as "Run as administrator"?
Sorry, a novice here trying to undrestand the above explanation. Do you mean
whenever I switch on my PC, i am login as a std user eventhough I am the only
user for this PC? and when I need to do some administrator task, I would have
to disable the UAC?