access denied to external hard drive

ruanv

access denied to external hard drive

Folks,
I am trying to access my external hard drive, but keep getting "F:/ not
accessible, access is denied". I can change the name of the "F-drive",
but not access. This is happening even thu I am in Administration
account.
I have recently accessed the same external hard drive to change
security settings to all the files so that all users have full control.
Was this a mistake to do?
there are very important data there that I need to access for my
business..do I look at datarecovery software? or is that not gonna get
me anywhere?
Please help.

--
ruanv
Brandon

RE: access denied to external hard drive
I just had the same thing happen to me, and have many files that I need to
retrieve. Any help would greatly help both of us.

"ruanv" wrote:

> Folks,
> I am trying to access my external hard drive, but keep getting "F:/ not
> accessible, access is denied". I can change the name of the "F-drive",
> but not access. This is happening even thu I am in Administration
> account.
> I have recently accessed the same external hard drive to change
> security settings to all the files so that all users have full control.
> Was this a mistake to do?
> there are very important data there that I need to access for my
> business..do I look at datarecovery software? or is that not gonna get
> me anywhere?
> Please help.
>

> --
> ruanv

Flavius

Re: access denied to external hard drive

1.Check do you have this problem in safe mode
2.Diagnose disk in looking for errors
3.Check you don't have some viruses

--
Flavius
Yun Zapata

Re: access denied to external hard drive
i have the same problem, but only on windows vista, on my xp pro machine, the
hdd works just fine, and in every other xp machine i've pluged it into, but
not on a machi that has vista, what ca it be?

"Flavius" wrote:

> 1.Check do you have this problem in safe mode
> 2.Diagnose disk in looking for errors
> 3.Check you don't have some viruses
>

> --
> Flavius

Steve

RE: access denied to external hard drive
Same thing with me, only this happend to my C: drive. What should I do to
gane control again, do you know?

"ruanv" wrote:

> Folks,
> I am trying to access my external hard drive, but keep getting "F:/ not
> accessible, access is denied". I can change the name of the "F-drive",
> but not access. This is happening even thu I am in Administration
> account.
> I have recently accessed the same external hard drive to change
> security settings to all the files so that all users have full control.
> Was this a mistake to do?
> there are very important data there that I need to access for my
> business..do I look at datarecovery software? or is that not gonna get
> me anywhere?
> Please help.
>

> --
> ruanv

Hank J.

Re: access denied to external hard drive
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:55:20 -0800, Steve
<Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Same thing with me, only this happend to my C: drive. What should I do to
>gane control again, do you know?

FIRST... start your own thread because your situation is different
from the one being discussed. What you did is considered to be
hijacking someone else's thread.

Second... next time you pop into a thread, take a look at the dates of
the posts in it. If they are over a couple weeks old - in this case
they stopped 3 months ago - it's best to move on because most folks
will have started to ignore the thread after the first week, maybe
quicker..

>"ruanv" wrote:
>

>> Folks,
>> I am trying to access my external hard drive, but keep getting "F:/ not
>> accessible, access is denied". I can change the name of the "F-drive",
>> but not access. This is happening even thu I am in Administration
>> account.
>> I have recently accessed the same external hard drive to change
>> security settings to all the files so that all users have full control.
>> Was this a mistake to do?
>> there are very important data there that I need to access for my
>> business..do I look at datarecovery software? or is that not gonna get
>> me anywhere?
>> Please help.
>>

>> --
>> ruanv

aleqsie

Re: access denied to external hard drive

I had the same problem a while ago.

Here is my solution:

Open your Computer and right click your External Hard Drive.
Go to Properties.
Click Security.
Click Edit under a quote "To change permissions, click Edit."
Click Add.
Type in "everyone" in the white box.
Then check in the box "Full Control".
Press OK.

This makes the hard drive usable by everyone (all users and different
computers)
It should do it, as i tried it with my friend.
cheers

--
aleqsie