Help with Administator priveledges

=?Utf-8?B?TmFjaGU=?=

Help with Administator priveledges
My brother just bought a gateway computer with Windows Vista Home Premium
installed (I'm so proud of him.) I ran into some problems when I was trying
to install the printer (An HP printer). I ran into two problems.

1. Vista was not one of the operating systems supported by the installation
disc, which Vista easily fixed

2. The program couldn't be installed using "Run As Administrator", which i
didn't understand since i was using an administrator account.

So I tried something. I made another administrator account, put a password
on it, and made the first accont a standard user account. No luck. So now
I'm stuck. i don't know how to install the printer without running into
Vista telling me to sign into an account with administrative priviledges,
although i was already signed into an account that was marked as an
administrator. i need some help. Does anyone know what to do?
Kerry Brown

Re: Help with Administator priveledges
"Nache" <Nache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My brother just bought a gateway computer with Windows Vista Home Premium
> installed (I'm so proud of him.) I ran into some problems when I was
> trying
> to install the printer (An HP printer). I ran into two problems.
>
> 1. Vista was not one of the operating systems supported by the
> installation
> disc, which Vista easily fixed

How did Vista fix this?

> 2. The program couldn't be installed using "Run As Administrator", which i
> didn't understand since i was using an administrator account.
>
> So I tried something. I made another administrator account, put a
> password
> on it, and made the first accont a standard user account. No luck. So
> now
> I'm stuck. i don't know how to install the printer without running into
> Vista telling me to sign into an account with administrative priviledges,
> although i was already signed into an account that was marked as an
> administrator. i need some help. Does anyone know what to do?

It sounds like you need to get a Vista compatible driver for the printer.
Check the manufacturer's web site. Do not try to install the disk that came
with the printer unless it specifically says it's for Vista.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?TmFjaGU=?=

Re: Help with Administator priveledges
I actually JUST that of that literally ten seconds before i read your answer.
Thank you. i will definitely try that. i was very disappointed when i had
to leave a job undone yesterday. Thank you, I'm in better spirits, now.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Nache" <Nache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My brother just bought a gateway computer with Windows Vista Home Premium
> > installed (I'm so proud of him.) I ran into some problems when I was
> > trying
> > to install the printer (An HP printer). I ran into two problems.
> >
> > 1. Vista was not one of the operating systems supported by the
> > installation
> > disc, which Vista easily fixed

> How did Vista fix this?
>

> > 2. The program couldn't be installed using "Run As Administrator", which i
> > didn't understand since i was using an administrator account.
> >
> > So I tried something. I made another administrator account, put a
> > password
> > on it, and made the first accont a standard user account. No luck. So
> > now
> > I'm stuck. i don't know how to install the printer without running into
> > Vista telling me to sign into an account with administrative priviledges,
> > although i was already signed into an account that was marked as an
> > administrator. i need some help. Does anyone know what to do?

> It sounds like you need to get a Vista compatible driver for the printer.
> Check the manufacturer's web site. Do not try to install the disk that came
> with the printer unless it specifically says it's for Vista.
>

> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Help with Administator priveledges
Which HP Printer is it?

=?Utf-8?B?Q291cnRuZXk=?=

Re: Help with Administator priveledges
I am having the same problem. I am trying to install HP Deskjet F300
All-in-One series. Please help!

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" wrote:

> Which HP Printer is it?

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Help with Administator priveledges
It's not a machine I'm familiar with but printer/scanners are still
problems by the look of things.

Have you downloaded the HP software for your machine. It seems there
are several F300 series. Here's a link to the F310 page for downloads:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...os=2093&softwa
reitem=mp-47767-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1128312&lang=en

If you have tried to install something else then remove it by
uninstalling not deleting; delete any printer icons in Control Panel /
Printers and reboot with the printer and its cable disconnected from
each other and from the PC. Make sure the printer is not plugged into
its power source, not just turned OFF if it has an ON/OFF button.

Then reboot the PC.

Find the downloaded file and right mouse click on it and select Run As
Administrator.

When the installation procedure tells you to or if it does not after
Finish, plug in the printer and cable and turn the printer on and VISTA
should detect and install it.

If it does not then I guess you'll have to ask HP.

Hope that helps.

Nellyp

Re: Help with Administator priveledges
I'm having the same problem, mine is an hp 1315 all
-in-one too