Windows Vista Business hangs in Startup.. can't use DVD recovery

averied

Windows Vista Business hangs in Startup.. can't use DVD recovery
Hi..

I have a very strange behaviour in one of our company laptops .. It has
Windows Vista Business Installed..

Suddenly today, with no hardware or software changes the system can't boot..
everytime I try, it just goes off and reboots.. When I try to boot in safe
mode, it hangs when loading mup.sys..

If I insert the DVD, it won't start Windows Setup so I can go to the
recovery menu, it just reboots...

Now the strangest thing... The laptop has 2 RAM memory modules, so if I just
put one of them and remove the other one, everything starts working.. windows
boots, I can enter DVD setup. It doesn't matter what memory module I put.. it
doesnt matter what memory bank I use, all possible configurations work...

So I don't know what can be happening here.. I need to put both the memory
modules, as Windows Vista runs very slow with just one of them...

Any ideas??
Galen

Re: Windows Vista Business hangs in Startup.. can't use DVD recovery
My reply is at the bottom of your sent message.

In news:BAF9132C-25CD-4095-83AE-EB3131EC4F95@microsoft.com,
averied <averied@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Hi..
>
> I have a very strange behaviour in one of our company laptops .. It has
> Windows Vista Business Installed..
>
> Suddenly today, with no hardware or software changes the system can't
> boot..
> everytime I try, it just goes off and reboots.. When I try to boot in safe
> mode, it hangs when loading mup.sys..
>
> If I insert the DVD, it won't start Windows Setup so I can go to the
> recovery menu, it just reboots...
>
> Now the strangest thing... The laptop has 2 RAM memory modules, so if I
> just
> put one of them and remove the other one, everything starts working..
> windows
> boots, I can enter DVD setup. It doesn't matter what memory module I put..
> it
> doesnt matter what memory bank I use, all possible configurations work...
>
> So I don't know what can be happening here.. I need to put both the memory
> modules, as Windows Vista runs very slow with just one of them...
>
> Any ideas??

You have a hardware problem not a administration accounts or password
problem. I would guess that you have a socket problem that we can't diagnose
or repair online so your local PC shop would be the best place to go if the
PC is no longer under warranty. Unless you're not the one who is in charge
of this at your company, if you aren't then bring it in to your system
administrators to look at or replace for you. They might be mad if they find
out you've been inside of it poking at the RAM though. That depends on the
climate in your company.

--
Galen (Not Current MS-MVP)

My Geek Site: http://kgiii.info
Web Hosting: http://whathostingshould.be

"In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason
backwards. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a
very easy one, but people do not practise it much. In the every-day affairs
of life it is more useful to reason forwards, and so
the other comes to be neglected. There are fifty who can reason
synthetically for one who can reason analytically." - Sherlock
Holmes