LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied

Pufnstuff

LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied
When try to delete LEGACY registry items leftover from uninstalled
programs, get "Access Denied" message when try to tick-off to allow
under Permissions, No problems deleting any other registry items - just
the LEGACY ones.

Using Vista Ultimate and I am the Administrator and only user.

Any ideas much appreciated.

rajinisback

Re: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied

Hi Pufnstuff,

Not sure why your deleting reg keys but if you cannot delete a key then
try this:
Start > Run > type in REGEDT32. The find the LEGACY key and click ok
Edit > Permissions > and edit they key accordingly then try to delete
it.
Raj

--
rajinisback

RAJ :P
*Please give Karma if I helped you fix the issue. Thanks *
SIW2

Re: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied

Hi,

If you are using 32bit Vista , try 'www.revouninstaller.com'
(http://www.revouninstaller.com) for any future uninstalls - it can
locate and help you delete any leftover keys. t's a great tool,
unfortunately not x64 compatible yet.

SIW2

--
SIW2
oscar

RE: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied
Once in a while, I come across a legacy folder or file that won't delete. I
change ownerships, permissions, use del or erase in cmd but nothing can
delete the old file or folder. What usually does the trick 90% of the time is
shut the computer down at the end of the day (shut down not reboot). Boot-up
the next day and the file or folder is either gone, or I'm allowed to delete
it. I chalk it up to Vista Voodoo Magic (Vista registries or files that get
hung up.)
--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"Pufnstuff" wrote:

> When try to delete LEGACY registry items leftover from uninstalled
> programs, get "Access Denied" message when try to tick-off to allow
> under Permissions, No problems deleting any other registry items - just
> the LEGACY ones.
>
> Using Vista Ultimate and I am the Administrator and only user.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.

Pufnstuff

Re: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied
Tx to all for replies.

After uninstalling Norton 360 and using Norton Removal Tool,
were still some registry items remaining, including Legacy keys.
Those are ones get the "Access Denied" message when try to
edit Permissions. As had no problem editing permissions for
such keys and deleting with XP, assume is a Vista *thing*.

Have RevoUninstaller and used for uninstalling few other
programs - good program and thanks for suggesting.

Will try 3rd suggestion from oscar.

"Pufnstuff" <pufnstuff@news2go.com> wrote in message
> When try to delete LEGACY registry items leftover from uninstalled
> programs, get "Access Denied" message when try to tick-off to allow
> under Permissions, No problems deleting any other registry items - just
> the LEGACY ones.
>
> Using Vista Ultimate and I am the Administrator and only user.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.

Paul Montgomery

Re: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:32:29 -0400, "Pufnstuff"
<pufnstuff@news2go.com> wrote:

>Tx to all for replies.
>
>After uninstalling Norton 360 and using Norton Removal Tool,
>were still some registry items remaining, including Legacy keys.

Did I miss it? Did you explain why you need to delete Legacy keys?
Is this one of those "obsessive-compulsive" things about having a
"clean" registry, or are the keys actually interfering with something?

>Those are ones get the "Access Denied" message when try to
>edit Permissions. As had no problem editing permissions for
>such keys and deleting with XP, assume is a Vista *thing*.
>
>Have RevoUninstaller and used for uninstalling few other
>programs - good program and thanks for suggesting.
>
>Will try 3rd suggestion from oscar.
>

>"Pufnstuff" <pufnstuff@news2go.com> wrote in message
>> When try to delete LEGACY registry items leftover from uninstalled
>> programs, get "Access Denied" message when try to tick-off to allow
>> under Permissions, No problems deleting any other registry items - just
>> the LEGACY ones.
>>
>> Using Vista Ultimate and I am the Administrator and only user.
>>
>> Any ideas much appreciated.

Pufnstuff

Re: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied
Yeah - guess I'm rather obsessive about deleting all
obsolete registry keys after uninstalling a program.
Realize isn't a necessity to do so and no harm if
Registry isn't purr-fectly clean of all unnecessary keys.

Also, as still a Vista rookie, still learning and curious
as to things that do differently from WinXP.

"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:32:29 -0400, "Pufnstuff"
> <pufnstuff@news2go.com> wrote:
>
>>Tx to all for replies.
>>
>>After uninstalling Norton 360 and using Norton Removal Tool,
>>were still some registry items remaining, including Legacy keys.

> Did I miss it? Did you explain why you need to delete Legacy keys?
> Is this one of those "obsessive-compulsive" things about having a
> "clean" registry, or are the keys actually interfering with something?
>

>>Those are ones get the "Access Denied" message when try to
>>edit Permissions. As had no problem editing permissions for
>>such keys and deleting with XP, assume is a Vista *thing*.
>>
>>Have RevoUninstaller and used for uninstalling few other
>>programs - good program and thanks for suggesting.
>>
>>Will try 3rd suggestion from oscar.
>>

>>"Pufnstuff" <pufnstuff@news2go.com> wrote in message
>>> When try to delete LEGACY registry items leftover from uninstalled
>>> programs, get "Access Denied" message when try to tick-off to allow
>>> under Permissions, No problems deleting any other registry items - just
>>> the LEGACY ones.
>>>
>>> Using Vista Ultimate and I am the Administrator and only user.
>>>
>>> Any ideas much appreciated.

Pufnstuff

Re: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied
Forgot to mention, you didn't miss anything. In my original
post, I did not ask "why" I had to delete Legacy keys, but
rather "how" under Vista's rather confusing Administrator
rights, permissions etc. for doing various things.

Instead of asking me why, did you offer a solution?

This newsgroup is testament that many others have issues
and problems about Administrator & User's accounts and
getting permission do something under Vista.

He who asks a question may be a fool for 5 minutes.
He who never asks a question may be a fool for a lifetime.

> Did I miss it? Did you explain why you need to delete Legacy keys?
> Is this one of those "obsessive-compulsive" things about having a
> "clean" registry, or are the keys actually interfering with something?

"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:32:29 -0400, "Pufnstuff"
> <pufnstuff@news2go.com> wrote:
>
>>Tx to all for replies.
>>
>>After uninstalling Norton 360 and using Norton Removal Tool,
>>were still some registry items remaining, including Legacy keys.

> Did I miss it? Did you explain why you need to delete Legacy keys?
> Is this one of those "obsessive-compulsive" things about having a
> "clean" registry, or are the keys actually interfering with something?
>

>>Those are ones get the "Access Denied" message when try to
>>edit Permissions. As had no problem editing permissions for
>>such keys and deleting with XP, assume is a Vista *thing*.
>>
>>Have RevoUninstaller and used for uninstalling few other
>>programs - good program and thanks for suggesting.
>>
>>Will try 3rd suggestion from oscar.
>>

>>"Pufnstuff" <pufnstuff@news2go.com> wrote in message
>>> When try to delete LEGACY registry items leftover from uninstalled
>>> programs, get "Access Denied" message when try to tick-off to allow
>>> under Permissions, No problems deleting any other registry items - just
>>> the LEGACY ones.
>>>
>>> Using Vista Ultimate and I am the Administrator and only user.
>>>
>>> Any ideas much appreciated.

Paul Montgomery

Re: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:29:23 -0400, "Pufnstuff" <pufnstuff@news2go.com>
wrote:

>Instead of asking me why, did you offer a solution?
>
>This newsgroup is testament that many others have issues
>and problems about Administrator & User's accounts and
>getting permission do something under Vista.

I'm not one of them, so... lacking any first-hand experience with
same, I have no solution for you.

Ta ta.
Markie Post

Re: LEGACY Registry Items Access Denied

Hope you got it to work! Who is Oscar? Can't seem to find in this
thread.
Did you find a good solution?

I'm having a similar problem trying to remove an older service from
task manager. The service also shows up in LEGACY_SERVICENAME. When
trying to change permissions with Vista Home Premium it is denied. I
thought that perhaps TAKEOWN /F *.* might do the trick, but didn't.

I will try to re-install the old service and delete, but would like to
be able to edit the registry. It sounds like an update to a higher Vista
may work, but not having permission to delete entries is not an upgrade
from XP with Vista Home Premium.

--
Markie Post