Run as administrator option disabled

naxself

Run as administrator option disabled

I apologize for any repetition but I'm pretty sure this is a fairly
unique problem.

My girlfriend bought a Toshiba laptop and it came with Vista Home on
it. It worked fine for a while and then it spontaneously decided that
her account would no longer be able to install things. She is designated
as an administrator, for the record.

Now, I've tried to fix it with various solutions, including 'here'
(http://www.vistax64.com/vista-accoun...nistrator.html)
and 'here'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html) ''
(http://www.vistax64.com/vista-accoun...rator.html)and
it doesn't seem to want to be corrected.

I think I've isolated the problem: the "run as administrator" option is
disabled. So, my question is: how do I re-enable the "run as
administrator" option if I can't access the administrator privileges? Is
there a safe-mode workaround for this? Is there something else I can do?
Being able to install programs is kind of essential, even if one has to
deal with the silly "Do you really want to do this?" dialogue box.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

--
naxself
oscar

RE: Run as administrator option disabled
Hi,

Normal installation of programs in Vista is fairly simple and works like
this: during installation the UAC prompt will ask the user for permission to
install new programs. Such permissions can be granted whether the user is in
a standard or administrator account. Standard user gives permission by
entering administrator password.

Troubles can occur when more than one administrator accounts are created.

Since I don’t know what has been done to your UAC settings, I suggest going
back to the basics:

1) Make sure UAC is not turned off. Go to users account and turn it back on,
if needed.

2) Can you get back to the original administrator account that was used in
the very beginning when the computer was taken out of the box and set up, and
everything worked fine? (Close out all other administrator accounts except
the original. Having more than one administrator account can cause problems.)

3) Test for normal administrator control by running applications that need
administrator permission. Also, see if you can gain almost global access to
your computer using that administrator account.

Successfully completing steps 1- 3 should bring your UAC to a stable, usable
state and installation of programs should work as described.

Hope this helps…

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...