I AM the administrator!

sabrinav is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I AM the administrator!
Hello.... I have Vista Home Premium insatalled on a Dell Inspiron 531. When I try to download a program, (like the upgrade for SpySweeper, or Roboform for example), in my C Drive, to Program Files, I get a message that tells me I can't do this - only the administrator can. It suggests a different folder to download to. I am the administrator! What can I do? Thank you.
DDW

Re: I AM the administrator!
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:22:26 +0100, sabrinav
<sabrinav.3eiys2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>Hello.... I have Vista Home Premium insatalled on a Dell Inspiron 531.
>When I try to download a program, (like the upgrade for SpySweeper, or
>Roboform for example), in my C Drive, to Program Files, I get a message
>that tells me I can't do this - only the administrator can. It suggests
>a different folder to download to. I _am_ the administrator! What can
>I do? Thank you.

Don't download files to the Program Files folder. It gives Windows
fits when you try to do that.

You should have a "downloads" file in the same area as Documents,
Pictures etc. Or you can make a downloads directory somewhere else.

Just don't try to download to Program Files. When you install
programs, if that's where they are supposed to go, they will go there
without a problem.

--
DDW
All email will be rejected
LoneStar

Re: I AM the administrator!

"DDW" <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:22:26 +0100, sabrinav
> <sabrinav.3eiys2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello.... I have Vista Home Premium insatalled on a Dell Inspiron 531.
> >When I try to download a program, (like the upgrade for SpySweeper, or
> >Roboform for example), in my C Drive, to Program Files, I get a message
> >that tells me I can't do this - only the administrator can. It suggests
> >a different folder to download to. I _am_ the administrator! What can
> >I do? Thank you.

Vista is trying to protect you from making a mistake -- that's a good thing.
You should always download a "program" into a user-created folder (mine is
"Z") that serves as a repository for such temporary files. From there you
can launch the actual installation of the program.

sabrinav is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. That's what I did, and it worked great.
DDW

Re: I AM the administrator!
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:22:11 -0500, "LoneStar"
<e_wyatt_rem_@excite.com> wrote:

>"DDW" <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>news:uunsa454bir75sncivsk4s11rm6880do49@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:22:26 +0100, sabrinav
>> <sabrinav.3eiys2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello.... I have Vista Home Premium insatalled on a Dell Inspiron 531.
>> >When I try to download a program, (like the upgrade for SpySweeper, or
>> >Roboform for example), in my C Drive, to Program Files, I get a message
>> >that tells me I can't do this - only the administrator can. It suggests
>> >a different folder to download to. I _am_ the administrator! What can
>> >I do? Thank you.

>Vista is trying to protect you from making a mistake -- that's a good thing.
>You should always download a "program" into a user-created folder (mine is
>"Z") that serves as a repository for such temporary files. From there you
>can launch the actual installation of the program.

You replied to me, not to the OP. I am not having that problem.

DDW
All email will be rejected
ronny

Re: I AM the administrator!
What a noble thing to do, but why the f.... does the error message don't just
say that instead of given some blabla message that is not even related to the
problem.