Change User Account Name

onispop

Change User Account Name

O/S: Window Vista Ultimate SP1 with elevated administrator
level (no UAC prompts).

I tried to change a user account name e.g.
Owner to MyName

Steps performed:
01. Created a new Account Name (MyName) with
Administrator's rights.
02. Logged-in with account name = MyName to initialize
its profile.
Rebooted.
03. Enabled and logged-in as the built-in Administrator
- In the User Profiles window, selected Owner and clicked
the Copy To button.
- In the Copy To dialog box, clicked Browse.
- Navigated to C:\Users, selected MyName and clicked OK.
- Back at the Copy To dialog box, clicked OK.
- Clicked the Yes button at the prompt to confirm the
"copy" operation.
- Clicked OK twice.
- Closed all windows
Rebooted
04. Logged-in with account name = MyName
Could not log in as the "Logging off" window appeared right
after the "Welcome" window.

I went back and logged-in as the built-in Administrator
- Under C:\Users
- size of folder Owner is 256MB
- size of folder MyName is 231MB
- Also noticed that folder AppData (25.6MB) folder was not copied
from Owner to MyName.

I would appreciate any recommendations. Am I missing any steps?

Best Regards.

--
onispop
Willem

Re: Change User Account Name
Hi,

I tried to reproduce your problem, but step 3 is not completely clear to me.

You write "In the User Profiles window, selected Owner and clicked the Copy
To button"

What do you mean with "owner"? Which profile did you copy?

BR.
Willem

"onispop" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> O/S: Window Vista Ultimate SP1 with elevated administrator
> level (no UAC prompts).
>

> I tried to change a user account name e.g.
> Owner to MyName
>

> Steps performed:
> 01. Created a new Account Name (MyName) with
> Administrator's rights.
> 02. Logged-in with account name = MyName to initialize
> its profile.
> Rebooted.
> 03. Enabled and logged-in as the built-in Administrator
> - In the User Profiles window, selected Owner and clicked
> the Copy To button.
> - In the Copy To dialog box, clicked Browse.
> - Navigated to C:\Users, selected MyName and clicked OK.
> - Back at the Copy To dialog box, clicked OK.
> - Clicked the Yes button at the prompt to confirm the
> "copy" operation.
> - Clicked OK twice.
> - Closed all windows
> Rebooted
> 04. Logged-in with account name = MyName
> Could not log in as the "Logging off" window appeared right
> after the "Welcome" window.
>

> I went back and logged-in as the built-in Administrator
> - Under C:\Users
> - size of folder Owner is 256MB
> - size of folder MyName is 231MB
> - Also noticed that folder AppData (25.6MB) folder was not copied
> from Owner to MyName.
>

> I would appreciate any recommendations. Am I missing any steps?
>
> Best Regards.
>

> --
> onispop

onispop

Re: Change User Account Name

Thanks for your response: Step 3, basically involves
copying the user profile "Owner" (old profile) to
user profile "MyName" (profile created in step 1).

--
onispop
Willem

Re: Change User Account Name
Initially I couldn't reproduce the problem, however after having performed
some other tests on the machine (which included joining and removing it
again from a domain) I ran into the same issue as you did.
In my case I noticed a difference in behaviour when the newly created
account was removed from the administrators group. As a normal user I
received the following message:
"The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access is denied".

With regard to the size of the profiles, I don't think that's related to the
fact that you're being logged off again.
I experienced also a big difference in profile size, this is related to the
fact that the Application Data Folder is not being copied to the new user
profile.
As far as I know this is normal behaviour.

Will let you know if I find out more.

> Thanks for your response: Step 3, basically involves
> copying the user profile "Owner" (old profile) to
> user profile "MyName" (profile created in step 1).
>

> --
> onispop

onispop

Re: Change User Account Name