Private Folders?

Christopher

Private Folders?
I'm not at all sure how this permissions thing works on Vista Home Premium.
My problem is this ... I have two user accounts on the PC - the main one is
for everyone in the household and the other is for work - both are
passworded administrator accounts and that is how I need them to be.

At present, when logged on as the main user, anyone can gain access to my
work account folders by clicking on the work folder in USERS. Granted,
there
are a few security pop-ups which, after clicking, will gain the user access
to the folder and it's files.

Basically, I want to prevent anyone from gaining access to the work folders
when they are logged on to the main account. In XP, it was simple - I had
the work folder set as "make this folder private", but I don't know how to
do
this in Vista Home Premium.

I should also mention that my backup program will need to be able to access
my work folder for my daily backup even though it runs automatically from
the
main user account.

Any advice will be appreciated. Many thanks.

Just FYI

Re: Private Folders?
Make the account for other family members a standard account. Or give each
family member their own standard account. There's no reason for anyone to
use an administrator account for day-to-day computing. One admin account per
computer is all you need.

The way they did it in XP was wrong. This way is the right way.

"Christopher" <clneaveREMOVE@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'm not at all sure how this permissions thing works on Vista Home
> Premium.
> My problem is this ... I have two user accounts on the PC - the main one
> is
> for everyone in the household and the other is for work - both are
> passworded administrator accounts and that is how I need them to be.
>
> At present, when logged on as the main user, anyone can gain access to my
> work account folders by clicking on the work folder in USERS. Granted,
> there
> are a few security pop-ups which, after clicking, will gain the user
> access
> to the folder and it's files.
>
> Basically, I want to prevent anyone from gaining access to the work
> folders
> when they are logged on to the main account. In XP, it was simple - I had
> the work folder set as "make this folder private", but I don't know how to
> do
> this in Vista Home Premium.
>
> I should also mention that my backup program will need to be able to
> access
> my work folder for my daily backup even though it runs automatically from
> the
> main user account.
>
> Any advice will be appreciated. Many thanks.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Private Folders?
Making a folder private in Windows XP only works if other users are
not Administrators.
Any Administrator can do and undo anything any other Administrator can
do.
This applies to Windows XP and Vista, little has changed here.

Instead everyone should be a Standard/Limited user, preferably each
with their own account.
Save the Administrator for tasks that require Administrator access.
Everyone as an Administrator is potentially bad in Windows XP and
Vista.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar