Overriding user sign-on

LGC

Overriding user sign-on
I have several user accounts for my children with time restrictions. When
there time is up, they are automatically logged out, often with a game still
running. There must be a way for me to log into their account and property
close out running programs. The only way I know how is to go into the user
settings, change the allotted time, log out of my user, log into the
children's user, shut down the program, log out, log into my user, and reset
their time restrictions. If this is the only way, the developers need to be
reprimanded.
Mick Murphy

RE: Overriding user sign-on
In XP, there used to be a feature called "fast user switching", which allowed
you to log out without closing Programs.
Look for that in vista in User Accounts, and untick it.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"LGC" wrote:

> I have several user accounts for my children with time restrictions. When
> there time is up, they are automatically logged out, often with a game still
> running. There must be a way for me to log into their account and property
> close out running programs. The only way I know how is to go into the user
> settings, change the allotted time, log out of my user, log into the
> children's user, shut down the program, log out, log into my user, and reset
> their time restrictions. If this is the only way, the developers need to be
> reprimanded.

Bruce Chambers

Re: Overriding user sign-on
LGC wrote:
> I have several user accounts for my children with time restrictions. When
> there time is up, they are automatically logged out, often with a game still
> running.

If these accounts were truly being "loggede out," no programs or games
would be left running. Are you sure you're not simply "locking," or
enabling a screensaver, after a defined time period?

> There must be a way for me to log into their account and property
> close out running programs.

There is, but it shouldn't be necessary. As they are the children, and
you're the paraent and administrator of the machine, you obviously know
their passwords. Simply unlock their accounts and close any running
programs.

> The only way I know how is to go into the user
> settings, change the allotted time, log out of my user, log into the
> children's user, shut down the program, log out, log into my user, and reset
> their time restrictions. If this is the only way, the developers need to be
> reprimanded.

It's the "only way" because that's the way you've configured the
computer. If you really want them *logged out,* rather than merely
locked out, after a certain amount of time, configure the computer
accordingly.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: