"Sam" as a username

JL Hunt

"Sam" as a username
I have a friend for whom I put together a computer with Vista Home Basic on
it. She is not very computer savvy, and relies on me for support. She
"suddenly" began having all sorts of problems that I couldn't explain. (The
one that made her call me was that the computer was asking if she wanted to
format her DVD... even the Vista installation DVD.) I thought it was a
communications problem between her and myself, so I had her bring her
computer to me so I could look at it. Sure enough, it was doing what she
said. I saw that she had the Google toolbar installed, and after I was sure
she didn't use it I tried uninstalling it. It didn't work. After further
investigation, I determined that she couldn't delete files, either. Nor
could she run anything that had the User Account Control on it. I
double-checked, and she IS the only administrator account. After lots of
dead-ends and talking to her, I found out that her son had changed the name
on his account to "SAM" about the same time she started having problems. I
didn't think much about this, but as I was going over this in my head, I had
a flash.... SAM ... Security Accounts Manager Service.

Just wondering.... Could this be the source of my friends problem? Or
should I look elsewhere?
Mike Brannigan

Re: "Sam" as a username
"JL Hunt" <JL Hunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend for whom I put together a computer with Vista Home Basic on
> it. She is not very computer savvy, and relies on me for support. She
> "suddenly" began having all sorts of problems that I couldn't explain.
> (The
> one that made her call me was that the computer was asking if she wanted
> format her DVD... even the Vista installation DVD.) I thought it was a
> communications problem between her and myself, so I had her bring her
> computer to me so I could look at it. Sure enough, it was doing what she
> said. I saw that she had the Google toolbar installed, and after I was
> sure
> she didn't use it I tried uninstalling it. It didn't work. After further
> investigation, I determined that she couldn't delete files, either. Nor
> could she run anything that had the User Account Control on it. I
> double-checked, and she IS the only administrator account. After lots of
> dead-ends and talking to her, I found out that her son had changed the
> name
> on his account to "SAM" about the same time she started having problems.
> didn't think much about this, but as I was going over this in my head, I
> had
> a flash.... SAM ... Security Accounts Manager Service.
>
> Just wondering.... Could this be the source of my friends problem? Or
> should I look elsewhere?

Look elsewhere.
The users display name has no baring on anything as internally the SID is
used for all authentication and authorization tasks.
--
Mike Brannigan

biddy79uk

Re: "Sam" as a username

like mike just said,
computer names are symply names and nothing else
just to identify your machine

--
biddy79uk

*OS *
vista home premium x86
*CPU *
E6750 Core 2 Duo
*Motherboard *
N/A
*Memory *
3GB @ 667
*Graphics Card*
256MB Nvidea GeForce 8600GT
*Hard Drives*
2 x 500GB Seagate Baracuda 16MB Cache
Galaxy 3D @ 7200RPM
David Herrera

Re: "Sam" as a username
they can hurt your computer if you program it correctly. This may be the
problem I say that you should investigate.

David Herrera

"biddy79uk" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> like mike just said,
> computer names are symply names and nothing else
> just to identify your machine
>

> --
> biddy79uk
>
> *OS *
> vista home premium x86
> *CPU *
> E6750 Core 2 Duo
> *Motherboard *
> N/A
> *Memory *
> 3GB @ 667
> *Graphics Card*
> 256MB Nvidea GeForce 8600GT
> *Hard Drives*
> 2 x 500GB Seagate Baracuda 16MB Cache
> Galaxy 3D @ 7200RPM

Nonny

Re: "Sam" as a username
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:58:21 -0700, "David Herrera"
<david_herrera2115@hotmail.com> wrote:

>they can hurt your computer if you program it correctly. This may be the
>problem I say that you should investigate.
>
>David Herrera

You're a moron.