Changing start menue power button behaviour

jim

Changing start menue power button behaviour
I really like the way that Vista handles sleep mode. It writes memory
contents to disk as if hibernating, then sleeps by appearing to completely
shut off the computer (no blinking lights or distractions). Then wakes up
very quickly when turned back on, or in the case of a power failure, resumes
from hibernation.

I have 2 questions:

1. Can I change the behavior of the start menu power button to first log off
the user, and then sleep? Then when the computer is turned on, it will be at
the welcome screen where the appropriate person can select their login button
(it is a shared computer).

2. Failing that, can I change the welcome screen power button to sleep
instead of shutdown the computer?

Thanks.
mikeyhsd

Re: Changing start menue power button behaviour
have you tried from the Screen Saver setup screen checking the box for require logon on resume.
it might fix the #1 problem/question.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA295B6B-5041-4AB2-872A-055D793968CE@microsoft.com...
I really like the way that Vista handles sleep mode. It writes memory
contents to disk as if hibernating, then sleeps by appearing to completely
shut off the computer (no blinking lights or distractions). Then wakes up
very quickly when turned back on, or in the case of a power failure, resumes
from hibernation.

I have 2 questions:

1. Can I change the behavior of the start menu power button to first log off
the user, and then sleep? Then when the computer is turned on, it will be at
the welcome screen where the appropriate person can select their login button
(it is a shared computer).

2. Failing that, can I change the welcome screen power button to sleep
instead of shutdown the computer?

Thanks.
jim

Re: Changing start menue power button behaviour
The screen saver has nothing to do with the start menu power button.

I'm trying to achieve a clean shutdown by forcing the user to log off, and
then put the computer to sleep. This way, the next user that logs in will
have a quick boot-up with a clean machine (ie. no user programs running in
another session).