Cannot login to vista using domain account

CWestwater

Cannot login to vista using domain account
I have a complicated issue that I hope someone can help me with. Basically I
cannot seem to login using my domain account (Windows 2003 domain) when on
any Vista machine (both pre and post SP1).

I can login fine to any XP machine on the network along with the 2003
servers we have. When I type in my username and password in Vista I get the
message "The username or password is incorrect". I have got a fellow Domain
Admin to log into the exact same machines and he can with no issues.

We use smartcard's with and MS PKI solution to login in the laptops. I can
going to my laptop using my smartcard fine, just not when I try to type in my
username and password.

I have looked at my account in AD and it seems fine. Does anyone have any
ideas what I can try or look for? I have had this issue since we first tried
Vista, but I kinda ignored it as I could login my laptop using my smartcard.
But I just got a new desktop (Dell Precision Quad core with 4GB RAM and Vista
Business 64bit) and I can't log in now on it!
Jane C

Re: Cannot login to vista using domain account

"CWestwater" <CWestwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a complicated issue that I hope someone can help me with. Basically
> cannot seem to login using my domain account (Windows 2003 domain) when on
> any Vista machine (both pre and post SP1).
>
> I can login fine to any XP machine on the network along with the 2003
> servers we have. When I type in my username and password in Vista I get
> the
> message "The username or password is incorrect". I have got a fellow
> Domain
> Admin to log into the exact same machines and he can with no issues.
>
> We use smartcard's with and MS PKI solution to login in the laptops. I
> can
> going to my laptop using my smartcard fine, just not when I try to type in
> my
> username and password.
>
> I have looked at my account in AD and it seems fine. Does anyone have any
> ideas what I can try or look for? I have had this issue since we first
> tried
> Vista, but I kinda ignored it as I could login my laptop using my
> smartcard.
> But I just got a new desktop (Dell Precision Quad core with 4GB RAM and
> Vista
> Business 64bit) and I can't log in now on it!

Hi,

Did you remember to login using the format domainname\username then
password?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

CWestwater

Re: Cannot login to vista using domain account
yep and I tried using my cwestwater@domain.local - no joy

"Jane C" wrote:

> "CWestwater" <CWestwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a complicated issue that I hope someone can help me with. Basically
> > cannot seem to login using my domain account (Windows 2003 domain) when on
> > any Vista machine (both pre and post SP1).
> >
> > I can login fine to any XP machine on the network along with the 2003
> > servers we have. When I type in my username and password in Vista I get
> > the
> > message "The username or password is incorrect". I have got a fellow
> > Domain
> > Admin to log into the exact same machines and he can with no issues.
> >
> > We use smartcard's with and MS PKI solution to login in the laptops. I
> > can
> > going to my laptop using my smartcard fine, just not when I try to type in
> > my
> > username and password.
> >
> > I have looked at my account in AD and it seems fine. Does anyone have any
> > ideas what I can try or look for? I have had this issue since we first
> > tried
> > Vista, but I kinda ignored it as I could login my laptop using my
> > smartcard.
> > But I just got a new desktop (Dell Precision Quad core with 4GB RAM and
> > Vista
> > Business 64bit) and I can't log in now on it!

> Hi,
>
> Did you remember to login using the format domainname\username then
> password?
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Kerry Brown

Re: Cannot login to vista using domain account
Is there anything in the event logs on the Vista computer or the domain
controller when the logon fails?

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"CWestwater" <CWestwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a complicated issue that I hope someone can help me with. Basically
> cannot seem to login using my domain account (Windows 2003 domain) when on
> any Vista machine (both pre and post SP1).
>
> I can login fine to any XP machine on the network along with the 2003
> servers we have. When I type in my username and password in Vista I get
> the
> message "The username or password is incorrect". I have got a fellow
> Domain
> Admin to log into the exact same machines and he can with no issues.
>
> We use smartcard's with and MS PKI solution to login in the laptops. I
> can
> going to my laptop using my smartcard fine, just not when I try to type in
> my
> username and password.
>
> I have looked at my account in AD and it seems fine. Does anyone have any
> ideas what I can try or look for? I have had this issue since we first
> tried
> Vista, but I kinda ignored it as I could login my laptop using my
> smartcard.
> But I just got a new desktop (Dell Precision Quad core with 4GB RAM and
> Vista
> Business 64bit) and I can't log in now on it!

CWestwater

Re: Cannot login to vista using domain account
Hi Kerry, the logs are clear on both the vista box and the DC.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Is there anything in the event logs on the Vista computer or the domain
> controller when the logon fails?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "CWestwater" <CWestwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a complicated issue that I hope someone can help me with. Basically
> > cannot seem to login using my domain account (Windows 2003 domain) when on
> > any Vista machine (both pre and post SP1).
> >
> > I can login fine to any XP machine on the network along with the 2003
> > servers we have. When I type in my username and password in Vista I get
> > the
> > message "The username or password is incorrect". I have got a fellow
> > Domain
> > Admin to log into the exact same machines and he can with no issues.
> >
> > We use smartcard's with and MS PKI solution to login in the laptops. I
> > can
> > going to my laptop using my smartcard fine, just not when I try to type in
> > my
> > username and password.
> >
> > I have looked at my account in AD and it seems fine. Does anyone have any
> > ideas what I can try or look for? I have had this issue since we first
> > tried
> > Vista, but I kinda ignored it as I could login my laptop using my
> > smartcard.
> > But I just got a new desktop (Dell Precision Quad core with 4GB RAM and
> > Vista
> > Business 64bit) and I can't log in now on it!

Kerry Brown

Re: Cannot login to vista using domain account
Nothing in the Security log on the server?