can't access My Documents folder?

RobB

can't access My Documents folder?
What do I need to do to be able to access my documents?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
t-4-2

Re: can't access My Documents folder?

RobB;703733 Wrote:
> What do I need to do to be able to access my documents?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob

Hello Rob,
You are not giving us anything to work on.
Ex. 1. Describe in detail how did you go about trying to access your
documents.
2. When your attempt failed, what did the screen say? Any error
message?
3. Were you able to access before? If yes, How long ago ?
4. Do you have SP1? If yes, did this problem arise after SP1 ?
5. You have Vista or XP ?
6. Have you recently installed new program(s) ?
That's what I can think of --- for now. Informations are what we need
to deduce a possible solution.

--
t-4-2
RobB

Re: can't access My Documents folder?
When I use Windows Explorer (Vista) and click on the My Documents folder, I
get a message stating "My Documents is not accessible. Access is denied."

Upon further investigation, I found that there is another folder titled
Documents, which can be viewed with Windows Explorer. So Vista just renamed
the folder and is keeping the old folder non-accessible .

Thanks,
Rob

RobB;704966 Wrote:
> When I use Windows Explorer (Vista) and click on the My Documents
> folder, I
> get a message stating "My Documents is not accessible. Access is
> denied."
>
> Upon further investigation, I found that there is another folder titled
> Documents, which can be viewed with Windows Explorer. So Vista just
> renamed
> the folder and is keeping the old folder non-accessible .
>
> Thanks,
> Rob
>
> "t-4-2" wrote:
> > > >

> > > RobB;703733 Wrote:
> > > Hello Rob,
> > > You are not giving us anything to work on.
> > > Ex. 1. Describe in detail how did you go about trying to access your
> > > documents.
> > > 2. When your attempt failed, what did the screen say? Any error
> > > message?
> > > 3. Were you able to access before? If yes, How long ago ?
> > > 4. Do you have SP1? If yes, did this problem arise after SP1 ?
> > > 5. You have Vista or XP ?
> > > 6. Have you recently installed new program(s) ?
> > > That's what I can think of --- for now. Informations are what we need
> > > to deduce a possible solution.
> > >

> > > --
> > > t-4-2

Hello Rob,
Nice to know you get your Documents. One curious question : Did you
upgrade your XP to Vista ? MY Documents is XP lingo.

--
t-4-2
BurrWalnut

Re: can't access My Documents folder?
The word ‘My’ has been dropped and the location of XP folders like Documents
& Settings and History are no longer in the same place. They are displayed
when ‘hidden files’ are displayed but they are ‘Junctions‘, i.e. they are
there for historical reasons so that old programs that would normally use
them are redirected to the new Vista locations. Junctions can be recognised
by having a little curly up-arrow like a shortcut and cannot be accessed.

In Vista you can see a list of these folders using a command prompt. Go to
the Windows Orb (Start), type cmd and press Enter. Now type DIR /AL (Note the
space and the capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter. The results
will be a list of all the Junctions for the user folders, showing the name of
the old XP user folder and the name of the new folder in brackets.

"t-4-2" wrote:

> RobB;704966 Wrote:
> > When I use Windows Explorer (Vista) and click on the My Documents
> > folder, I
> > get a message stating "My Documents is not accessible. Access is
> > denied."
> >
> > Upon further investigation, I found that there is another folder titled
> > Documents, which can be viewed with Windows Explorer. So Vista just
> > renamed
> > the folder and is keeping the old folder non-accessible .
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob

> Hello Rob,
> Nice to know you get your Documents. One curious question : Did you
> upgrade your XP to Vista ? MY Documents is XP lingo.
>

> --
> t-4-2

grumpy1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: can't access My Documents folder?
I have the solution for you. Go here and download it. Guarantee it will work.

Easy way to take ownership of system files in Vista & Windows 7 - WinMatrix

Easy way to take ownership of system files in Vista & Windows 7 - WinMatrix

You might have to copy paste it into your browser.