Vista Ultimate looses user profile after domain join

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0aWFuIFdpcnRo?=

Vista Ultimate looses user profile after domain join
Dear newsgroup,

strange thing about Vista Ultimate: After booking a Hewlett Packard TC 4400
notebook to a domain it looses the user profile information after every
restart.
The domain user was booked into the local admin group but nothing changed.

I tried this already some time ago with a Hewlett Packard NC 6400 notebook
where exactly the same happend.

This time I used a 100% fresh installation without any HP drivers with the
same problem.

Can anybody point in the right direction?

I found a different thread in this newsgroup where the problem was but
nobody could help here.

Regards,

Christian Wirth

Justin Brown - SYNACS

Re: Vista Ultimate looses user profile after domain join
On Mar 16, 12:08 am, Christian Wirth
<ChristianWi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Dear newsgroup,
>
> strange thing about Vista Ultimate: After booking a Hewlett Packard TC 4400
> notebook to a domain it looses the user profile information after every
> restart.
> The domain user was booked into the local admin group but nothing changed.
>
> I tried this already some time ago with a Hewlett Packard NC 6400 notebook
> where exactly the same happend.
>
> This time I used a 100% fresh installation without any HP drivers with the
> same problem.
>
> Can anybody point in the right direction?
>
> I found a different thread in this newsgroup where the problem was but
> nobody could help here.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian Wirth

What user profile information, specifically? Do you mean the
information in SAM?

"Justin Brown - SYNACS" wrote:

> On Mar 16, 12:08 am, Christian Wirth
> <ChristianWi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Dear newsgroup,
> >
> > strange thing about Vista Ultimate: After booking a Hewlett Packard TC 4400
> > notebook to a domain it looses the user profile information after every
> > restart.
> > The domain user was booked into the local admin group but nothing changed.
> >
> > I tried this already some time ago with a Hewlett Packard NC 6400 notebook
> > where exactly the same happend.
> >
> > This time I used a 100% fresh installation without any HP drivers with the
> > same problem.
> >
> > Can anybody point in the right direction?
> >
> > I found a different thread in this newsgroup where the problem was but
> > nobody could help here.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Christian Wirth

> What user profile information, specifically? Do you mean the
> information in SAM?

Vista does not remeber the user's settings. Outlook has to reconfigured at
every start, favorites are missing, desktop symbols are gone....

Justin Brown - SYNACS

Re: Vista Ultimate looses user profile after domain join
On Mar 16, 7:44 am, Christian Wirth
<ChristianWi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Justin Brown - SYNACS" wrote:
>

> > On Mar 16, 12:08 am, Christian Wirth
> > <ChristianWi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Dear newsgroup,

> > > strange thing about Vista Ultimate: After booking a Hewlett Packard TC 4400
> > > notebook to a domain it looses the user profile information after every
> > > restart.
> > > The domain user was booked into the local admin group but nothing changed.

> > > I tried this already some time ago with a Hewlett Packard NC 6400 notebook
> > > where exactly the same happend.

> > > This time I used a 100% fresh installation without any HP drivers with the
> > > same problem.

> > > Can anybody point in the right direction?

> > > I found a different thread in this newsgroup where the problem was but
> > > nobody could help here.

> > > Regards,

> > > Christian Wirth

> > What user profile information, specifically? Do you mean the
> > information in SAM?

> Vista does not remeber the user's settings. Outlook has to reconfigured at
> every start, favorites are missing, desktop symbols are gone....- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like the user profile in question is either read only, or is
a so-called mandatory user profile. Is there a hidden file called
NTUSER.MAN in the "C:\documents and settings\username" path?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0aWFuIFdpcnRo?=

Re: Vista Ultimate looses user profile after domain join
> It sounds like the user profile in question is either read only, or is
> a so-called mandatory user profile. Is there a hidden file called
> NTUSER.MAN in the "C:\documents and settings\username" path?

No,the directory in which the user profile is stored is completly empty.
There is not one single file stored in there although the user is domain
admin and local workstation admin.

Profiles are created like that:

username
username.domain
username.000
username.001

"Justin Brown - SYNACS" wrote:

> On Mar 16, 7:44 am, Christian Wirth
> <ChristianWi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > "Justin Brown - SYNACS" wrote:

> > > What user profile information, specifically? Do you mean the
> > > information in SAM?

> > Vista does not remeber the user's settings. Outlook has to reconfigured at
> > every start, favorites are missing, desktop symbols are gone....- Hide quoted text -

Justin Brown - SYNACS

Re: Vista Ultimate looses user profile after domain join
On Mar 17, 5:25 am, Christian Wirth
<ChristianWi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > It sounds like the user profile in question is either read only, or is
> > a so-called mandatory user profile. Is there a hidden file called
> > NTUSER.MAN in the "C:\documents and settings\username" path?

> No,the directory in which the user profile is stored is completly empty.
> There is not one single file stored in there although the user is domain
> admin and local workstation admin.
>
> Profiles are created like that:
>
> username
> username.domain
> username.000
> username.001
>
> "Justin Brown - SYNACS" wrote:
>
> > On Mar 16, 7:44 am, Christian Wirth
> > <ChristianWi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> > > Vista does not remeber the user's settings. Outlook has to reconfigured at
> > > every start, favorites are missing, desktop symbols are gone....- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like there is something off kilter with file permissions on
the Documents and Settings folder. If you right click that folder,
select properties, and select the Security tab, what do you see listed
there?

"Justin Brown - SYNACS" wrote:

> On Mar 17, 5:25 am, Christian Wirth
> <ChristianWi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > It sounds like the user profile in question is either read only, or is
> > > a so-called mandatory user profile. Is there a hidden file called
> > > NTUSER.MAN in the "C:\documents and settings\username" path?

> > No,the directory in which the user profile is stored is completly empty.
> > There is not one single file stored in there although the user is domain
> > admin and local workstation admin.
> >
> > Profiles are created like that:
> >
> > username
> > username.domain
> > username.000
> > username.001
> >
> > "Justin Brown - SYNACS" wrote:

> It sounds like there is something off kilter with file permissions on
> the Documents and Settings folder. If you right click that folder,
> select properties, and select the Security tab, what do you see listed
> there?

Properties show everything OK (Full Permission vor User) . As I tried this
on several PCs could it not be more related to the server?

regards,

Christian

=?Utf-8?B?SFM=?=

RE: Vista Ultimate looses user profile after domain join
when login to a vista machine, user profiles are not pulled from the regular
profile folder. what happens is that a second profile folder is created on
the server when logged in from a vista machine. the folder name should be
'username V2', which means if your username is 'cwirth', it would be 'cwirth
V2 for vista machine.
you can copy the regular profile content to the new vista profile folder to
get most things to work with vista. there are couple ways to copy it, ask
your network admin to copy it on the server or transfer it with a stick from
a xp box to vista box. good luck.

kris.krzysiek@gmail.com

On 19 Mar, 16:27, HS <H...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> when login to avistamachine, user profiles are not pulled from the regular
> profile folder. what happens is that a second profile folder is created on
> the server when logged in from avistamachine. the folder name should be
> 'username V2', which means if your username is 'cwirth', it would be 'cwirth
> V2 forvistamachine.
> you can copy the regular profile content to the newvistaprofile folder to
> get most things to work withvista. there are couple ways to copy it, ask
> your network admin to copy it on the server or transfer it with a stick from
> a xp box tovistabox. good luck.
>

> "Christian Wirth" wrote:
> > Dear newsgroup,

> > strange thing aboutVistaUltimate: After booking a Hewlett Packard TC 4400
> > notebook to a domain it looses the user profile information after every
> > restart.
> > The domain user was booked into the local admin group but nothing changed.

> > I tried this already some time ago with a Hewlett Packard NC 6400 notebook
> > where exactly the same happend.

> > This time I used a 100% fresh installation without any HP drivers with the
> > sameproblem.

> > Can anybody point in the right direction?

> > I found a different thread in this newsgroup where theproblemwas but
> > nobody could help here.

> > Regards,

> > Christian Wirth- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

> - Poka┐ cytowany tekst -

I have exactly the same problem with nx7400 HP notebook, VISTA
Bussines 64bit, i looked to the event viewer and there are
informations about problems with winlogon and problems with write
informations to registry.
Users added locally works OK, all fom domain looses profile after
logout.
Wonder thing is that vista remeber user name and if i login and i
delete something to the Recycle Bin, after next login profil is lost
except contain of Recycle Bin )))

madness
Did anyone resolve it??

Greet Kris

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbmdlZHN0YXRl?=

RE: Vista Ultimate looses user profile after domain join
i am having exactly the same problem..... i took delivery of a new machine
with ultimate installed on thursday, spent all day setting it up adding
software and copying files to my documents etc etc etc

monday morning i turn on the machine to get a completely new profile... all
my documents are empty, all the software settings and personalising is
gone... outlook is as new again etc etc..

i have done a complete re format, and reinstall and again the same
happens.... i am also getting username.000 .001 .002 blah blah

dell tell me a load of rubbish about solutions and how they dont support
networking and so on... so far i have lost a pile of files, and spent 2 1/2
days trying to set up a machine that should really take 1/2 a day!!

HELPPP!!!!!