Admin Password different then login password?

Keaster

Admin Password different then login password?
Is it possible using Vista Business to make the admin password for UAC
different then the login? I have two pc's, one in the lobby and one in my
office. The one in the lobby is used regularly by employees. Is there a way
I can set up an Administrator account in the lobby, but have a different
login password and password to make system critical changes. Basically, I
want them to be able to log on and run the basic stuff (same as a user
account) but not be able to change anything without my other password. Also,
the program we use has to be run in administrator mode (until 3.0.1 comes out
in two months), so is there any way to make the password for that program the
same as the login, but different from one needed to change settings?
Aditya Krishnan

RE: Admin Password different then login password?
Maybe the program you need can run under a Power User login? To make this
change, go to Run and enter lusrmgr.msc, select the appropriate user from the
Users folder and add Power User to the Member of field, then remove
Administrators from the same field. Apart from that, I can't think of any
possibilites.

"Keaster" wrote:

> Is it possible using Vista Business to make the admin password for UAC
> different then the login? I have two pc's, one in the lobby and one in my
> office. The one in the lobby is used regularly by employees. Is there a way
> I can set up an Administrator account in the lobby, but have a different
> login password and password to make system critical changes. Basically, I
> want them to be able to log on and run the basic stuff (same as a user
> account) but not be able to change anything without my other password. Also,
> the program we use has to be run in administrator mode (until 3.0.1 comes out
> in two months), so is there any way to make the password for that program the
> same as the login, but different from one needed to change settings?

Donald McDaniel

"Keaster" <Keaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible using Vista Business to make the admin password for UAC
> different then the login? I have two pc's, one in the lobby and one
> in my
> office. The one in the lobby is used regularly by employees. Is
> there a way
> I can set up an Administrator account in the lobby, but have a
> different
> login password and password to make system critical changes.
> Basically, I
> want them to be able to log on and run the basic stuff (same as a user
> account) but not be able to change anything without my other password.
> Also,
> the program we use has to be run in administrator mode (until 3.0.1
> comes out
> in two months), so is there any way to make the password for that
> program the
> same as the login, but different from one needed to change settings?

What you want is not possible, as far as I am aware, without using the
Group Policy Editor.
I don't think y

My suggestion?
Purchase a subscription to TweakVI (Ultimate). It will allow you to
keep other users from installing software, uninstalling software,
creating accounts, etc. They will ONLY be able to access their
accounts, and could not make any drastic changes to their work area.

Go here: http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...akvi-index.php
Also, you should put both your machines in a network, and administer
that network from YOUR machine.

You could also give the employee who is most computer-savvy a user
account with Administrator (or even something less, like "Trusted
Installer") credentials.

In any case, ANYTIME ANYONE attempts to change passwords, etc., he/she
will be presented with a prompt to elevate their privileges to
"Administrator". This includes YOU. However, TweakVI will allow one to
turn such prompts off, or make them less intrusive.

If the program REQUIRES Admin privileges to run, at least ONE of your
employees will have to have Admin privileges.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please respond to the correct message.