Administrator Accounts behave differently: Vista Home Premium

Sargent_Barley

Administrator Accounts behave differently: Vista Home Premium

Hi,

I have two administrator accounts in Vista Home Premium and each
behaves differently than the other.

I have some folders in the path /user that I want to delete, and one
administrator account could do it and the other couldn't. I also wanted
to stop a Windows service and one could and the other couldn't.

You see, mywebsearch had installed itself and Spybot wouldn't remove
it, so I wanted to stop the service and delete the appropriate files,
folders, and registry entries. This administrator thing is a bigger
issue, though.

Why cannot one administrator do the same administrator things the other
can?

I tried to fix it but the groups .msc that Vista refers to is not
installed, or something (I don't really know what this is). I don't mind
having one administrator that's a real admin account and a limited
administrator, but in that case I need to swap these two accounts and I
cannot swap them until I know how to activate administrator status for
the one account that is not quite up to snuff.

Make sense?

In conclusion, I have two administrator accounts in Home Premium that
behave differently; one is unable to delete /user files or stop
services. I need to know how to fix that account and why these are
unequal.

Thanks,

Sean

--
Sargent_Barley
jamesvdm

RE: Administrator Accounts behave differently: Vista Home Premium
Hi Sean

It could be that one administrator seems to have lower access because it
can't get to the other administrators files.

Anyhow, if the spyware exists in just one user's profile then would it be an
option to delete that user and their profile folder?

James

"Sargent_Barley" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two administrator accounts in Vista Home Premium and each
> behaves differently than the other.
>
> I have some folders in the path /user that I want to delete, and one
> administrator account could do it and the other couldn't. I also wanted
> to stop a Windows service and one could and the other couldn't.
>
> You see, mywebsearch had installed itself and Spybot wouldn't remove
> it, so I wanted to stop the service and delete the appropriate files,
> folders, and registry entries. This administrator thing is a bigger
> issue, though.
>
> Why cannot one administrator do the same administrator things the other
> can?
>
> I tried to fix it but the groups .msc that Vista refers to is not
> installed, or something (I don't really know what this is). I don't mind
> having one administrator that's a real admin account and a limited
> administrator, but in that case I need to swap these two accounts and I
> cannot swap them until I know how to activate administrator status for
> the one account that is not quite up to snuff.
>
> Make sense?
>
> In conclusion, I have two administrator accounts in Home Premium that
> behave differently; one is unable to delete /user files or stop
> services. I need to know how to fix that account and why these are
> unequal.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean
>

> --
> Sargent_Barley

Sargent_Barley

Re: Administrator Accounts behave differently: Vista Home Premium

Could be; I'll have to check.

However, one administrator could stop the Windows service related to
the spyware and the other could not.

Is there a way in Home Premium to see what group these administrators
are in, if there are groups? And change the groups?

I'm not worried about the spyware. The anomalies with the administrator
accounts--the inability of an admin to stop a service--has me much more
worried.

Cheers,

Sean

--
Sargent_Barley
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administrator Accounts behave differently: Vista Home Premium
Sargent

It could be that you have the Built-In Administrator account enabled. This
account is the named "Administrator".

Do you have User Account Control (UAC) disabled?
What, exactly happens when you try to disable the service with the weak
admin account?
Is this a clean install of Vista or an upgrade?

Vista Home versions do not have the advanced Users and Groups components.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP