default mail program

=?Utf-8?B?dHdpZ2d5YW5u?=

default mail program
I'm not sure where to put this. I have a non-standard mail program. I have
always been able to push a button in the program and that would make the
registry entries to make it the default mail program.

The automatic route doesn't work. I'm looking for information on the
specific registry keys that I need to explore to get this to work. I've done
a lot of work in the past in the registry so I feel comfortable backing it up
and then trying to get it to see Polarbar Mailer as my default mail program
-- I just need a hint of where to look.

I'm finding Vista incredibly unfriendly when it comes to doing this sort of
stuff.

Thanks!
Dennis_N

Re: default mail program
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:22:23 -0800, twiggyann
<twiggyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure where to put this. I have a non-standard mail program. I have
>always been able to push a button in the program and that would make the
>registry entries to make it the default mail program.

That is a problem in the application, not in windows.

You can set the default programs for e-mail and internet browsing in
the controlpannel / internetsettings / Programs /set programs

Regards
=?Utf-8?B?dHdpZ2d5YW5u?=

Re: default mail program
Thanks for your reply. I understand that I can do that in the Default
Programs area but it doesn't show up in that list and there's nowhere to
manually add a program to that list. That's why I'm looking for registry
information. This really shouldn't require a registry hack to work, though,
IMO.

I've since found the mailto registry entry under hkey_classes_root. In my
google searches last night it seems that my mailer isn't the only one that
requires a hack to set it. Now I just have to figure out if I have to change
the -211 after winmail.exe.

I'm getting there slowly but surely.

"Dennis_N" wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:22:23 -0800, twiggyann
> <twiggyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure where to put this. I have a non-standard mail program. I have
> >always been able to push a button in the program and that would make the
> >registry entries to make it the default mail program.

> That is a problem in the application, not in windows.
>
> You can set the default programs for e-mail and internet browsing in
> the controlpannel / internetsettings / Programs /set programs
>

> Regards

Dennis_N

Re: default mail program
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:41:03 -0700, twiggyann
<twiggyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your reply. I understand that I can do that in the Default
>Programs area but it doesn't show up in that list and there's nowhere to
>manually add a program to that list. That's why I'm looking for registry
>information. This really shouldn't require a registry hack to work, though,
>IMO.
>
>I've since found the mailto registry entry under hkey_classes_root. In my
>google searches last night it seems that my mailer isn't the only one that
>requires a hack to set it. Now I just have to figure out if I have to change
>the -211 after winmail.exe.

Probaly not.
I am using outlook 2007, and that key you mention still looks like
this in my registry:

FrienlyTypeName REG_EXPAND_SZ @%ProgramFiles%\Windows
Mail\winmail.exe,-211

And when i click a url like mailto:someone@somewhere.xx outlook starts
as normal, not winmail.

However i have a key under mailto/shell/open/command
"F:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

So, it looks like that FriendlyTypeName key is not important. ?

Maybe you could ad a key to command ?

Anyway... hope you figure it out..

Regards
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: default mail program
Twiggyann

Open Control Panel and double click Default Programs. In the first screen,
click the bottom link, "Set program access and computer defaults."

In the next screen, click the down arrow on the Custom section. Select the
option "Use my current e-mail program" and make sure that "Enable access to
this program" is selected. Click OK.

If you need more details for any of these steps, click the Help (?) icon at
the top right of any screen.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"twiggyann" <twiggyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply. I understand that I can do that in the Default
> Programs area but it doesn't show up in that list and there's nowhere to
> manually add a program to that list. That's why I'm looking for registry
> information. This really shouldn't require a registry hack to work,
> though,
> IMO.
>
> I've since found the mailto registry entry under hkey_classes_root. In my
> google searches last night it seems that my mailer isn't the only one that
> requires a hack to set it. Now I just have to figure out if I have to
> change
> the -211 after winmail.exe.
>
> I'm getting there slowly but surely.
>
> "Dennis_N" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:22:23 -0800, twiggyann
>> <twiggyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm not sure where to put this. I have a non-standard mail program. I
>> >have
>> >always been able to push a button in the program and that would make the
>> >registry entries to make it the default mail program.

>> That is a problem in the application, not in windows.
>>
>> You can set the default programs for e-mail and internet browsing in
>> the controlpannel / internetsettings / Programs /set programs
>>

>> Regards

=?Utf-8?B?dHdpZ2d5YW5u?=

Re: default mail program
Again, my mail program is a non standard program (open source so there isn't
really a manufacturer to go to) that doesn't appear to be a mail program.
It's a 100% java mail reader that is started with a cmd file and then goes
through java and to the computer it doesn't look like netscape mail, or
thunderbird, or windows mail so dealing with it through the default programs
won't work.

What I'm looking for are the registry entries -- I believe there are 2 --
that I have to manually change.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Twiggyann
>
> Open Control Panel and double click Default Programs. In the first screen,
> click the bottom link, "Set program access and computer defaults."
>
> In the next screen, click the down arrow on the Custom section. Select the
> option "Use my current e-mail program" and make sure that "Enable access to
> this program" is selected. Click OK.
>
> If you need more details for any of these steps, click the Help (?) icon at
> the top right of any screen.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "twiggyann" <twiggyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply. I understand that I can do that in the Default
> > Programs area but it doesn't show up in that list and there's nowhere to
> > manually add a program to that list. That's why I'm looking for registry
> > information. This really shouldn't require a registry hack to work,
> > though,
> > IMO.
> >
> > I've since found the mailto registry entry under hkey_classes_root. In my
> > google searches last night it seems that my mailer isn't the only one that
> > requires a hack to set it. Now I just have to figure out if I have to
> > change
> > the -211 after winmail.exe.
> >
> > I'm getting there slowly but surely.
> >
> > "Dennis_N" wrote:

> >> That is a problem in the application, not in windows.
> >>
> >> You can set the default programs for e-mail and internet browsing in
> >> the controlpannel / internetsettings / Programs /set programs
> >>

> >> Regards

=?Utf-8?B?aGVscCB3LyBjbGlwIGFydA==?=

Re: default mail program
Ronnie, saw your note, this did not work for me. I want to use g mail. any
suggestions? I guess I am computer illeterate.
Thanks,
cynthia,nerlinger@gmail.com