"X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable

NeologiK

"X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable
When I try to execute ANY ( yes, any ) executable ( *.exe/*.msi etc) file, I
receive the error msg "is not a valid Win32 application". I am now at the
point I can not add or update ANY software whatsoever due to this error
coming up for any executable.
Im running Vista Home Basic, I thought I was a power-user until this one,
and my goal is to either A) Find out the problem and a fix for it. -OR- B) If
someone could explain what a valid Win32 app is- I may be able to figure it
out from there. The online services have been NO help. MS help does not say
why this error happens other than corrupted files ( but eg: if I compile a
functional C++ script to an exe, that too is "not valid" ). So ANY help or
IDEAS on a fix for this, or just what it MEANS would help.
Ironically, I work in tech support, and I know my way around windows on an
intermediate / trained level. This is making my laptop a paperweight, any
ideas appreciated! Thank you so much!
jamesvdm

RE: "X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable
Hi, what antivirus or antispyware software do you have installed?

James

"NeologiK" wrote:

> When I try to execute ANY ( yes, any ) executable ( *.exe/*.msi etc) file, I
> receive the error msg "is not a valid Win32 application". I am now at the
> point I can not add or update ANY software whatsoever due to this error
> coming up for any executable.
> Im running Vista Home Basic, I thought I was a power-user until this one,
> and my goal is to either A) Find out the problem and a fix for it. -OR- B) If
> someone could explain what a valid Win32 app is- I may be able to figure it
> out from there. The online services have been NO help. MS help does not say
> why this error happens other than corrupted files ( but eg: if I compile a
> functional C++ script to an exe, that too is "not valid" ). So ANY help or
> IDEAS on a fix for this, or just what it MEANS would help.
> Ironically, I work in tech support, and I know my way around windows on an
> intermediate / trained level. This is making my laptop a paperweight, any
> ideas appreciated! Thank you so much!

NeologiK

RE: "X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable
Hi James,

I am using Kapersky AV ( although I DO have the full Symantec AV package,
but I switched due to this .exe problem as Sym wasnt finding any viruses.)-
and KAV is not finding any viruses.
I use AdAware SE for spyware, (and keep it updated) and still have UAC
enabled becuase I'm worried there may be something running that the AV hasnt
picked up. [I have had problems with apps running in background & not being
"endable" in TaskMan ( such as Firefox.exe ) and this causing the application
to not work. ] Suspicious activity basically, then this .exe association loss
or w/e. AdAware only finds low-threat tracking cookies!
I am not sure if it is a virus, or simply a mis-setting or registry
corruption causing the loss of associations for new .exe files. So it could
be an account problem, Im not sure how global these associations are with
Vista, but I'll try another account and see if there is a difference.
(PS I was wrong before- *.msi DO work. It is ONLY *.exe that are "not valid"
and that IS any exe.)
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and/or respond!
~ Drew
"jamesvdm" wrote:

> Hi, what antivirus or antispyware software do you have installed?
>
> James
>
> "NeologiK" wrote:
>
> > When I try to execute ANY ( yes, any ) executable ( *.exe/*.msi etc) file, I
> > receive the error msg "is not a valid Win32 application". I am now at the
> > point I can not add or update ANY software whatsoever due to this error
> > coming up for any executable.
> > Im running Vista Home Basic, I thought I was a power-user until this one,
> > and my goal is to either A) Find out the problem and a fix for it. -OR- B) If
> > someone could explain what a valid Win32 app is- I may be able to figure it
> > out from there. The online services have been NO help. MS help does not say
> > why this error happens other than corrupted files ( but eg: if I compile a
> > functional C++ script to an exe, that too is "not valid" ). So ANY help or
> > IDEAS on a fix for this, or just what it MEANS would help.
> > Ironically, I work in tech support, and I know my way around windows on an
> > intermediate / trained level. This is making my laptop a paperweight, any
> > ideas appreciated! Thank you so much!

Re: "X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable
if you are getting this erreor you are not a power user but you are a

"NeologiK" <NeologiK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to execute ANY ( yes, any ) executable ( *.exe/*.msi etc) file,
> receive the error msg "is not a valid Win32 application". I am now at the
> point I can not add or update ANY software whatsoever due to this error
> coming up for any executable.
> Im running Vista Home Basic, I thought I was a power-user until this one,
> and my goal is to either A) Find out the problem and a fix for it. -OR- B)
> If
> someone could explain what a valid Win32 app is- I may be able to figure
> it
> out from there. The online services have been NO help. MS help does not
> say
> why this error happens other than corrupted files ( but eg: if I compile a
> functional C++ script to an exe, that too is "not valid" ). So ANY help or
> IDEAS on a fix for this, or just what it MEANS would help.
> Ironically, I work in tech support, and I know my way around windows on an
> intermediate / trained level. This is making my laptop a paperweight, any
> ideas appreciated! Thank you so much!

Re: "X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable
if you are getting this erreor you are not a power user but you are a
standard user. yopu need to use mmc to correct this problem. you need a
power user login or an admin log in in order to install programs. I would
also suggest that you upgrade from basis because it is worth nothing
"NeologiK" <NeologiK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to execute ANY ( yes, any ) executable ( *.exe/*.msi etc) file,
> receive the error msg "is not a valid Win32 application". I am now at the
> point I can not add or update ANY software whatsoever due to this error
> coming up for any executable.
> Im running Vista Home Basic, I thought I was a power-user until this one,
> and my goal is to either A) Find out the problem and a fix for it. -OR- B)
> If
> someone could explain what a valid Win32 app is- I may be able to figure
> it
> out from there. The online services have been NO help. MS help does not
> say
> why this error happens other than corrupted files ( but eg: if I compile a
> functional C++ script to an exe, that too is "not valid" ). So ANY help or
> IDEAS on a fix for this, or just what it MEANS would help.
> Ironically, I work in tech support, and I know my way around windows on an
> intermediate / trained level. This is making my laptop a paperweight, any
> ideas appreciated! Thank you so much!

NeologiK

Re: "X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable
I have admin privs and have UAC turned off for now.
HomeBasic came with it- but yeah, I wouldn't mind upgrading.
I have searched the management consoles (mmc) for a fix- none found.
No services disabled, All associations normal (through mmc&registry),
I can install through a setup file,
I just can not execute an executable.
~drew

"matthew.a.owens@owensnetworkingworld.com" wrote:

> if you are getting this erreor you are not a power user but you are a
> standard user. yopu need to use mmc to correct this problem. you need a
> power user login or an admin log in in order to install programs. I would
> also suggest that you upgrade from basis because it is worth nothing
> "NeologiK" <NeologiK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to execute ANY ( yes, any ) executable ( *.exe/*.msi etc) file,
> > receive the error msg "is not a valid Win32 application". I am now at the
> > point I can not add or update ANY software whatsoever due to this error
> > coming up for any executable.
> > Im running Vista Home Basic, I thought I was a power-user until this one,
> > and my goal is to either A) Find out the problem and a fix for it. -OR- B)
> > If
> > someone could explain what a valid Win32 app is- I may be able to figure
> > it
> > out from there. The online services have been NO help. MS help does not
> > say
> > why this error happens other than corrupted files ( but eg: if I compile a
> > functional C++ script to an exe, that too is "not valid" ). So ANY help or
> > IDEAS on a fix for this, or just what it MEANS would help.
> > Ironically, I work in tech support, and I know my way around windows on an
> > intermediate / trained level. This is making my laptop a paperweight, any
> > ideas appreciated! Thank you so much!

dpassero

Re: "X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable

I am having the same problem with iTunes and Webshots. I am an
administrator, tried the "run as" option, downloaded the file(s)
multiple times, emptied my temporary internet files, etc. etc. I have
both applications running on a machine with Vista Home Premium so I
don't think it is a compatibility problem. I don't get it on every
executable but I have only tried these two where it happens repeatedly.
If anyone finds the answer I would be very happy.

--
dpassero