In local Admin group but still Acess Denied.

dbouton@fuse.net

In local Admin group but still Acess Denied.
I am a Domain Admin on our Network which is in the Local
Administrators group on the Vista PC. I'm still getting used to Vista
but I would think since I am in the Local Admin group I shouldn't be
getting Acess Denied in different areas. One in particular is I need
to place a dll in the system32 folder and it tells me access is
denied. I frequently come across Access Denied evn when I say Run As
Administrator. In this case I ran Windows Explorer as Administrator
and tried to copy the file to sytem32 and received the error. Any
help or explanation is appreciated. I am hoping I do not have to log
off and on as local admin whenever I need to do this. Thanks in
advance for any help.
Dawn

Jimmy Brush

Re: In local Admin group but still Acess Denied.
Hello,

When you attempt to copy a file to system32 (or any other admin-protected
folder) inside explorer, you should receive the message "You'll need to
provide administrator permission to copy to this folder". Clicking Continue
should prompt you via UAC ("Windows needs your permission to continue") and
then the operation should succeed.

What behavior are you seeing?

Also, you generally cannot run windows explorer "as administrator" - it will
appear to be running as administrator, but will actually not be. This
shouldn't affect what explorer can do, however, as it should always prompt
for admin permission when needed.

As for working with files in other programs besides Windows Explorer, you
will need to run these as administrator in order to use them to modify files
that only administrators can modify.

Logging in as a local administrator should not be necessary, since you are a
member of the administrators group.

I should also point out that there are some files on your system that, by
default, only the Windows Installer/Update service(s) can modify. Nobody
else, not even the system, can modify these files. These files include
system files inside the System32 folder (but this protection does not apply
to adding files to this folder; only modifying system files that are already
there).

If you need to modify a system file in this folder, you should follow these
steps:

1- Take ownership of the file you need to modify
2- Grant yourself the desired permission (usually full control)
3- Edit the file
4- If you did not delete the file, remove the permission you added

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

dbouton@fuse.net

Re: In local Admin group but still Acess Denied.
On Mar 11, 9:33 am, "Jimmy Brush"
<JimmyBr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When you attempt to copy a file to system32 (or any other admin-protected
> folder) inside explorer, you should receive the message "You'll need to
> provide administrator permission to copy to this folder". Clicking Continue
> should prompt you via UAC ("Windows needs your permission to continue") and
> then the operation should succeed.
>
> What behavior are you seeing?
>
> Also, you generally cannot run windows explorer "as administrator" - it will
> appear to be running as administrator, but will actually not be. This
> shouldn't affect what explorer can do, however, as it should always prompt
> for admin permission when needed.
>
> As for working with files in other programs besides Windows Explorer, you
> will need to run these as administrator in order to use them to modify files
> that only administrators can modify.
>
> Logging in as a local administrator should not be necessary, since you are a
> member of the administrators group.
>
> I should also point out that there are some files on your system that, by
> default, only the Windows Installer/Update service(s) can modify. Nobody
> else, not even the system, can modify these files. These files include
> system files inside the System32 folder (but this protection does not apply
> to adding files to this folder; only modifying system files that are already
> there).
>
> If you need to modify a system file in this folder, you should follow these
> steps:
>
> 1- Take ownership of the file you need to modify
> 2- Grant yourself the desired permission (usually full control)
> 3- Edit the file
> 4- If you did not delete the file, remove the permission you added
>
> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faqhttp://www.jimmah.com/vista/

When I tried to copy a dll to the system32 folder (this file was being
added to the directory - no previous version was there) I just got
Access Denied. No prompt asking me to provide admin info. I also got
access denied when trying to view a folder. On one machine I did an
upgrade from XP to see how things worked. It left the Documents and
Settings folder out there and I wanted to view it. Access Denied.
And on a fresh install I had the Acess Denied on System32 folder. I
did get around it by running the command prompt as admin and doing a
copy. It just seems odd since I am a Domain Admin I would have to do
this. I verified I was part of the local admin group. I like the
added security but a little frustating to be denied acess totally.
Thanks for explaining the differences more in depth. Maybe I just
need to get used to it. Just still unsure why it did not prompt me
and just denied me. Thanks again.

Dawn