File type association

Vic Abrahamian

File type association
Hi,
When I open an attachment in Outlook and save it, Windows recognized the
file type. For example if the attachment is an Excel document, it saves as
Excel Document, but if I try to save the document with a different name,
Windows doesn't recognize the file. For example the attachment was xyz.xls
and I save it as abc, and then try to double click on it to open the file, I
receives a message select an application to use to open the file. On the old
system with XP and Office 2003, I didn't have to type the 3 letter extension
when saving a file, is there a way to make it work without having to type the
3 letter extension? Thank you
Craiger

Re: File type association
I think you are missing the point that those dot extension names are what
tell windows which application to launch to open the file.

"Vic Abrahamian" <VicAbrahamian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> When I open an attachment in Outlook and save it, Windows recognized the
> file type. For example if the attachment is an Excel document, it saves as
> Excel Document, but if I try to save the document with a different name,
> Windows doesn't recognize the file. For example the attachment was xyz.xls
> and I save it as abc, and then try to double click on it to open the file,
> receives a message select an application to use to open the file. On the
> old
> system with XP and Office 2003, I didn't have to type the 3 letter
> extension
> when saving a file, is there a way to make it work without having to type
> the
> 3 letter extension? Thank you

Vic Abrahamian

Re: File type association
When the file is already saved on the desktop you can rename the file and it
doesn't loose the file type association. It only happens when you save and
attachment and you rename the file during the save process. Is that normal.