Unable to access user profile

needlelady

Unable to access user profile
my husband and I each have a user profile on our computer. Lately whenever he
tries to access his profile to get to his files, favorites, etc. he gets this
message: "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile
cannot be loaded." So he is unable to get to any of his files or music in the
Media Center. He uses my user profile to get to his Yahoo browser to get his
email but cannot get any of his bookmarks which is becoming very irritating
to him. I can't blame him. We have a new computer with Windows Vista. Can
anyone help? Thanks.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Unable to access user profile
Needlelady

The easiest way to fix the problem would be to use the System Restore
component.

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and click on System
Restore.
In the first window, click 'Choose a different restore point' and click
Next.
You should see a list of restore points. Select one with a date prior to
when the problem started.
Click Next and then click Finish.
The computer will reboot during this process.

Let us know if this solves the problem.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"needlelady" <needlelady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news625F170-2B28-4DA1-8DB6-6B2A30AE971C@microsoft.com...
> my husband and I each have a user profile on our computer. Lately whenever
> he
> tries to access his profile to get to his files, favorites, etc. he gets
> this
> message: "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile
> cannot be loaded." So he is unable to get to any of his files or music in
> the
> Media Center. He uses my user profile to get to his Yahoo browser to get
> his
> email but cannot get any of his bookmarks which is becoming very
> irritating
> to him. I can't blame him. We have a new computer with Windows Vista. Can
> anyone help? Thanks.

BirgerH

RE: Unable to access user profile
Hey Needlelady

According to Microsoft, this errormessage occur when you have manually
deleted something in the userfolders.
Here's the solution:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us

Regards
--
BirgerH

"needlelady" wrote:

> my husband and I each have a user profile on our computer. Lately whenever he
> tries to access his profile to get to his files, favorites, etc. he gets this
> message: "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile
> cannot be loaded." So he is unable to get to any of his files or music in the
> Media Center. He uses my user profile to get to his Yahoo browser to get his
> email but cannot get any of his bookmarks which is becoming very irritating
> to him. I can't blame him. We have a new computer with Windows Vista. Can
> anyone help? Thanks.

Regas

RE: Unable to access user profile
Ronnie and Birger:
I have read both of your replies to "needlelady" to this problem. I have
just experienced this issue for the first time and can't move on. Luckily I
have another user available but fully protected and is how I am accessing
anything. This account is not an administrative account so I am locked out
from doing anything.

I am the main user and administrator. I have not set up another admin user.
As per ROnnie, I tried to access the system restore but it won't seem to let
me in when it asks for a password.
the error message is as follows <Windows cannot find "
'C\windows\system32\rstrui.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly and
try again>

SO, I tried to do the route suggested by Birger and went to
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us> . Again, going by the
recommendations, I tried to backup first but after entering password,
received error message as above but ... \systempropertiesprotection.exe.

How do I get into the system now? I think that it won't let me do
anything on the standard user account as it is not set up for that - it is
for my daughter and I don't want her doing anything (even though she could
probably fix this?)!

I am not completely adept at this stuff - any suggestions or direction?

Your help is realllly appreciated.
Regas

"needlelady" wrote:

> my husband and I each have a user profile on our computer. Lately whenever he
> tries to access his profile to get to his files, favorites, etc. he gets this
> message: "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile
> cannot be loaded." So he is unable to get to any of his files or music in the
> Media Center. He uses my user profile to get to his Yahoo browser to get his
> email but cannot get any of his bookmarks which is becoming very irritating
> to him. I can't blame him. We have a new computer with Windows Vista. Can
> anyone help? Thanks.

BirgerH

RE: Unable to access user profile
Hi Regas.
I only know, that you are in deep trouble not having a Admin-account.
I found a link, that possible (one to million shot) might help, it won't
harm anyway.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222/en-us
If you don't have the "Run" command in your "Start" menu, right-click some
emty place in the menu and choose "Properties".
Go to the tab "Start Menu" and "Configure".
Inside there you find and mark "Run" - then it will appear.

I have the idea, that you will be familiar to reinstalling windows -
--
BirgerH