Backing up on Network WITHOUT user name and password

CMX

Backing up on Network WITHOUT user name and password
I want to backup to a Network Drive which is hosted on an external Network
Storage Drive (by Buffalo LinkStation (www.buffalotech.com)). I connect to
the network drive securely without having to enter a password. I have about 6
computers in the home network. They all connect this way. I can access ALL
shares on the Buffalo using 2 Vista Ultimate.

BUT, when i tried to bakup to Buffalo LinkStation. Vista insists that I
enter a user name and password. Where, I just want Vista to go ahead and
proceed without having requiring a password. But I can go past this point.

So I can not backup on my 350GB LinkStation :-(.

Any workaround??????

CMX

inewie

Re: Backing up on Network WITHOUT user name and password

i have the same problem. did you get a solution? I have my home network
nicely configured, very nicely? so, what is wrong?

--
inewie
f/fgeorge

Re: Backing up on Network WITHOUT user name and password
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 17:30:13 -0600, inewie
<inewie.32j713@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>i have the same problem. did you get a solution? I have my home network
>nicely configured, very nicely? so, what is wrong?

I did not see the earlier message but did you create an account on
each machine with the exact same name and password and then log on
with whatever account?
inewie

Re: Backing up on Network WITHOUT user name and password

Thank you for the message,

I read in the following forum(the last post):
'Vista Backup and Restore center will not backup to Network Location -
TechNet Forums'
(http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...&tf=0&pageid=3)

that I need to disable simple file sharing in the xp machine in order
to solve the problem, then I read somewhere else that it is not possible
to disable simple file sharing in xp home edition, so I gave up. I do
not know if I am getting something wrong, but I just feel like backing
up locally in a usb drive. I will try to create the same account in both
machines as soon as i I have the time.

thanks

--
inewie
f/fgeorge

Re: Backing up on Network WITHOUT user name and password
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:06:27 -0600, inewie
<inewie.32l0b1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>Thank you for the message,
>
>I read in the following forum(the last post):
>'Vista Backup and Restore center will not backup to Network Location -
>TechNet Forums'
>(http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...&tf=0&pageid=3)
>
>that I need to disable simple file sharing in the xp machine in order
>to solve the problem, then I read somewhere else that it is not possible
>to disable simple file sharing in xp home edition, so I gave up. I do
>not know if I am getting something wrong, but I just feel like backing
>up locally in a usb drive. I will try to create the same account in both
>machines as soon as i I have the time.
>
>thanks

If you go to network connections and then click on the conenction you
are using, right click then left click properties, you will see file
and printer sharing. Uncheck it and uninstall it and it should be
fine. Thsi is in XP Home, I just did it on my one pc that has Home and
it worked fine.
inewie

Re: Backing up on Network WITHOUT user name and password

thank you, i managed to disable file sharing, but i am still not able to
log on. I suppose i need some windows reading in order to do this.

--
inewie