Logon screen manipulation

wschlichtman

Logon screen manipulation
I have an account created to allow someone to access shared folders on my
local RAID drives. This account is only used to allow access over a network.
I have set local policy to 'Deny logon local locally' for this account. There
is no reason for the account to show on the logon screen and I would like it
not to, but I can find no way to disable it. Anyone have any ideas?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Logon screen manipulation
wschlichtman

First, you need to understand that some things have changed in Vista from
previous versions of Windows, such as XP.

The CTRL+AL+DEL option at the logon screen, where you could force the old
style login box to appear, has been removed. You can no longer press this
key combination to force the old style login box to appear. The result is
that if you hide an account, that account is no longer available on the
logon screen and there is no way to log on to that account.

You can set a policy to force the old style logon box to appear. This would
hide all of the user accounts on the logon screen and require that you enter
an account name and password to log on.

To set this policy, open the Group Policy Editor.

Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local
Policies/Security Options.

Policy: Interactive logon: Do not display last user name
Setting: Enabled.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"wschlichtman" <wschlichtman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an account created to allow someone to access shared folders on my
> local RAID drives. This account is only used to allow access over a
> network.
> I have set local policy to 'Deny logon local locally' for this account.
> There
> is no reason for the account to show on the logon screen and I would like
> it
> not to, but I can find no way to disable it. Anyone have any ideas?

brink

wschlichtman;528769 Wrote:
> I have an account created to allow someone to access shared folders on
> my
> local RAID drives. This account is only used to allow access over a
> network.
> I have set local policy to 'Deny logon local locally' for this account.
> There
> is no reason for the account to show on the logon screen and I would
> like it
> not to, but I can find no way to disable it. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Wschilchtman,

This tutorial will show you how to hide the (username) account from the
logon screen.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/94...ount-hide.html

Shawn

--