UAC promts for password when logged in as admin - vista home basic

matsam01

UAC promts for password when logged in as admin - vista home basic
whenever i do something that needs admin privaleges i get the user user
account control box (this is normal) but for some strange reason it always
asks for a password for my user account even though im the only user account
with admin privelages.]
there is another post on here about the same problem in vista buissness but
tried running gpedit.msc and the file doesnt exist in system32. please help
me.
RonPaskowski

RE: UAC promts for password when logged in as admin - vista home basic
using the control panel, go to administrative tools
go to Local Security Policy
go to Local Policy then Security Options
scroll to the bottom, you'll see a setting called User Account Control:
Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approve Mode,
change the setting to Prompt for Consent

"matsam01" wrote:

> whenever i do something that needs admin privaleges i get the user user
> account control box (this is normal) but for some strange reason it always
> asks for a password for my user account even though im the only user account
> with admin privelages.]
> there is another post on here about the same problem in vista buissness but
> tried running gpedit.msc and the file doesnt exist in system32. please help
> me.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: UAC promts for password when logged in as admin - vista home basic
Matsam

If you have one of the Home versions of Vista, the MSC components such as
GPEdit are not included in those versions.

You will need to make the needed change in the registry.

Go to Start and type: regedit.exe and in the results, right click
Regedit and select the Run As Administrator option.

In the registry editor, navigate to the following Key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

In the right side pane, you will see the following Value.

ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin

Double click this value and change the 1 (one) in the Value Data line to 2
(two). Click OK.
Press the F5 Key to refresh and exit the registry editor.

You should now get the normal 'confirm' dialog on the UAC prompts.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP