Vista Local Group Policy

RonPaskowski

Vista Local Group Policy
I need to make a Vista computer FDCC (NIST) compliant, I will not be able to
use AD to apply the recommended settings, I'll be using a workgroup setup to
test multiple configurations for App Compat.

I'll be creating a ton of settings using the Local GPO (MLGPO), but having
problems finding a method that will permit me to backup and restore or
Import/Export any of the Local Group Policies. I am able to export just the
security settings using the SECEDIT command but would like the functionality
that GPMC offers for Domain based GPO's.

Any suggestions on how to backup these Local GPO's?
brink

Re: Vista Local Group Policy

RonPaskowski;526886 Wrote:
> I need to make a Vista computer FDCC (NIST) compliant, I will not be
> able to
> use AD to apply the recommended settings, I'll be using a workgroup
> setup to
> test multiple configurations for App Compat.
>
> I'll be creating a ton of settings using the Local GPO (MLGPO), but
> having
> problems finding a method that will permit me to backup and restore or
> Import/Export any of the Local Group Policies. I am able to export just
> the
> security settings using the SECEDIT command but would like the
> functionality
> that GPMC offers for Domain based GPO's.
>
> Any suggestions on how to backup these Local GPO's?

Hi Ron,

In the Local Group Policy Editor :
1. Click on a folder in the left pane to highlight it.
2. Click Action and "Export List"

This will save a TXT file with a list of what is in the right pane, for
the folder in the left pane, to where you selected. It's not the the
same a REG file with Merge, but at least you can see what the settings
are at the time of the exported list.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
RonPaskowski

Re: Vista Local Group Policy
brink,
thanks for your reponse, I need a method of taking that file and importing
it into another vista workstation (enterprise ed).. I will be making about
350 changes, and I don't want to have to perform it manually for each
workstation.

"brink" wrote:

> RonPaskowski;526886 Wrote:
> > I need to make a Vista computer FDCC (NIST) compliant, I will not be
> > able to
> > use AD to apply the recommended settings, I'll be using a workgroup
> > setup to
> > test multiple configurations for App Compat.
> >
> > I'll be creating a ton of settings using the Local GPO (MLGPO), but
> > having
> > problems finding a method that will permit me to backup and restore or
> > Import/Export any of the Local Group Policies. I am able to export just
> > the
> > security settings using the SECEDIT command but would like the
> > functionality
> > that GPMC offers for Domain based GPO's.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to backup these Local GPO's?

> Hi Ron,
>
> In the Local Group Policy Editor :
> 1. Click on a folder in the left pane to highlight it.
> 2. Click Action and "Export List"
>
> This will save a TXT file with a list of what is in the right pane, for
> the folder in the left pane, to where you selected. It's not the the
> same a REG file with Merge, but at least you can see what the settings
> are at the time of the exported list.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

sambo1981

Re: Vista Local Group Policy

Apologies is resurrection is frowned upon BUT

C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\

copy contents to another computer to transfer local policy? Worked for
me

--
sambo1981