Permissions in Regedit

marcusFZ6

Permissions in Regedit
I am currently trying to get my creative MP3 player to work on my laptop.
Going through there website is says to change the permissions for everyone to
"full" in the following folder.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\U SB

Tried various methods and getting nowhere, all is get is unable to allow
this action. Tried as normal and as administrator.

HELP. All the best,
Marcus.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Permissions in Regedit
Marcus

CHANGE PERMISSIONS REGISTRY KEY

This is very bad advice. The people who make that MP3 player need to make
their program compatible with Vista instead of telling people to do
something that will compromise the security of their system.

The reason is that changing permissions on a registry key that is in a part
of the registry which controls system wide settings can open your system to
infection from any malicious program.

As long as you understand the possible consequences, here is how to proceed.

Go to Start and type regedit.exe and in the results, right click
regedit.exe and select the Run As Administrator option.

In regedit, navigate to that location.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\U SB

Right click the 'USB' key and select 'Permissions'. In the top 'Group or
user names' section, select 'Everyone'. In the lower 'Permissions for
Everyone' section place a check mark in the Full Control / Allow' checkbox.

Click Apply / OK and exit the registry editor.

Good luck.

--

Ronnie Vernon

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"marcusFZ6" <marcusFZ6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently trying to get my creative MP3 player to work on my laptop.
> Going through there website is says to change the permissions for everyone
> "full" in the following folder.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\U SB
>
> Tried various methods and getting nowhere, all is get is unable to allow
> this action. Tried as normal and as administrator.
>
> HELP. All the best,
> Marcus.

Sam

RE: Permissions in Regedit
Have you tried running regedit from a command prompt that was opened as "run
as administrator"?

"marcusFZ6" wrote:

> I am currently trying to get my creative MP3 player to work on my laptop.
> Going through there website is says to change the permissions for everyone to
> "full" in the following folder.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\U SB
>
> Tried various methods and getting nowhere, all is get is unable to allow
> this action. Tried as normal and as administrator.
>
> HELP. All the best,
> Marcus.

marcusFZ6

Re: Permissions in Regedit
Ronnie,

I have tried what you said and it is still coming up with "Unable to save
permission changes on USB. Access is denied." I have my user set with full
admin rights which doesn't work. I have also tried the right click and run as
administrator and still no luck.

The reason I am trying to change the settings is that my mp3 machine is
quite old and Vista is not recognising it. You can see that the machine is
connected through Device Manager but it's not being seen by the associated
program. Just trying to save 40GB of music. I have tried a few upgrades
through the creative website but still not luck and the above was a step
through there support pages.

Thanks, Marcus

brink

Re: Permissions in Regedit

marcusFZ6;527268 Wrote:
> Ronnie,
>
> I have tried what you said and it is still coming up with "Unable to
> save
> permission changes on USB. Access is denied." I have my user set with
> full
> admin rights which doesn't work. I have also tried the right click and
> run as
> administrator and still no luck.
>
> The reason I am trying to change the settings is that my mp3 machine is
> quite old and Vista is not recognising it. You can see that the machine
> is
> connected through Device Manager but it's not being seen by the
> associated
> program. Just trying to save 40GB of music. I have tried a few upgrades
> through the creative website but still not luck and the above was a
> step
> through there support pages.
>
> Thanks, Marcus

Hi Marcus,

You will need to take ownership of the registry key USB first, then you
should be able to modify it. See METHOD TWO step 3 in this tutorial for
how to take ownership.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
marcusFZ6

Re: Permissions in Regedit
Hi Brink,

Thanks for the link and I thought I was on to a winner there. I think I
found the right folder and changed the ownership to myself. Did all of this
then went back into the regedit and tried changing the rights. Still getting
the same answer or access denied. This is the page where I am getting the
procedure to follow to try and fix my machine;
http://193.95.171.83/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WE...225):obj(19253)

When I get to the last stage and try changing the rights the box for
everyone is still shaded and nothing can be changed.
I am stumped now.
Many thanks, Marcus
marcusFZ6

Re: Permissions in Regedit
Hi Brink,

I have played about with a few more settings and finally got the rights to
change the permissioins. Unfortunately it had still not done the job that I
was after. Think I will maybe have to think about transfering my music
another way.
Thanks again for all your help and guidance.

Marcus :-))
brink

Re: Permissions in Regedit

Marcus,

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find a method that will work for you.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
fairynixy@gmail.com

Re: Permissions in Regedit

marcusFZ6;527822 Wrote:
> Hi Brink,
>
> I have played about with a few more settings and finally got the rights
> change the permissioins. Unfortunately it had still not done the job
> that I
> was after. Think I will maybe have to think about transfering my music
> another way.
> Thanks again for all your help and guidance.
>
> Marcus :-))

I am having the same issue [30G Creative Zen Vision M] - I am so
fustrated! Did you ever find a solution?

--
fairynixy@gmail.com